Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming How to call Linux command in C Post 302136017 by draaghduhl on Friday 14th of September 2007 06:00:58 AM
Old 09-14-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by sriram003
main()
{
system("split -l 50 -a 1 /absolutepath/sample.txt");
return 0;
}
If you could provide the return-value of system, one could examine why the call is failing.

try:
Code:
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
int main(const int argc, const char* const* const argv) {
 int res;
 int err;
 res = system("split -l 50 -a 1 /absolutepath/sample.txt");
 fprintf(stdout,"execution returned %d.\n",res);
 if ((-1 != res) && (127 != res))
  fprintf(stdout,"now would be a good time to check out 'man split' to check what the resulting return-value (%d) means.\n",res);
 return res;
}

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

Making Socket System Call From Linux Kernel Module?

Hi Everyone! How can we make a socket() system call from a linux module executing in kernel space? If any one knows, kindly tell me. It will be great. I want to use the socket interface in linux kernel space for sending raw packets over the network. Hamayun (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mian_m_hamayun
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how can call perl script as command?

Hello say i have written some perl scripts , now i like to call them in my unix shell as unix command like "more" , "ls" , "grep" so that my say perl script called "foo.pl" will be called from every where as "foo" or "foo arg1 arg2"? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umen
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to call a Linux command in C prog.

Dear Friends, I want to know how to call a Linux commands in C programs. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: krishna_sicsr
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

ioctl() system call on Linux-i386

Greetings, Please help me with the following : Where can I find what means exactly and how to use each of the second argument of the ioctl() system call in Linux/386 : FIOxxx (file IOCTL requests), SIOxxx (socket IOCTL requests), TCxxx TIOxxx (terminal IOCTL requests) ? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aigoia
1 Replies

5. Linux

How to implement a system call in linux?

I encountered a variety of difficulties when implementing a system call as simple as HelloWorld example in Linux so far. Firstly, according to the book "Linux Kernel Development Second Edition", I tried to implement a syscall in 2.6.31 but no way absolutely because 2.6.10 has a very different way... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunnyhay
5 Replies

6. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

How to call a command in a batch file?

Hi, I would like to get the output of below command emailed to me in a windows2003 server. "bpimagelist -hoursago 24 -U" I will be using "blat" to email the output of this command.But not sure how the above command is called for in a batch file when executed. Would appreciate if... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Hari_Ganesh
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl - Call a sub routine in a command

Hi all I have written a simple perl script that has different options i.e. myscript -l -p etc i have it so when it runs without any switches it runs a subroutine called nvrm_norm i want to be able to do a -p option and run pall -w -f and then called the subruotine pall is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ab52
1 Replies

8. Programming

can a linux kernel module call libc functions?

can a linux kernel module call libc functions, such as printf(), strcpy(), etc...? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: vistastar
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help: how to call fork() in shell script? New to linux

Hi, I'm writing a shell script where I want to call fork(). However I wrote like this "var=fork()" in c style and got this error: "syntax error near unexpected token `(' " How could I call fork() in shell script? Thanks in advance. Duplicate Post - Continue Here - Please Do Not Cross Post... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xiaoya
0 Replies

10. Ubuntu

Help: how to call fork() in shell script? New to linux

Hi, I'm writing a shell script where I want to call fork(). However I wrote like this "var=fork()" in c style and got this error: "syntax error near unexpected token `(' " How could I call fork() in shell script? Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xiaoya
2 Replies
LINUX(4)						   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						  LINUX(4)

NAME
linux -- Linux ABI support SYNOPSIS
To compile support for this ABI into an i386 kernel place the following line in your kernel configuration file: options COMPAT_LINUX for an amd64 kernel use: options COMPAT_LINUX32 Alternatively, to load the ABI as a module at boot time, place the following line in loader.conf(5): linux_load="YES" DESCRIPTION
The linux module provides limited Linux ABI (application binary interface) compatibility for userland applications. The module provides the following significant facilities: o An image activator for correctly branded elf(5) executable images o Special signal handling for activated images o Linux to native system call translation It is important to note that the Linux ABI support it not provided through an emulator. Rather, a true (albeit limited) ABI implementation is provided. The following sysctl(8) tunable variables are available: compat.linux.osname Linux kernel operating system name. compat.linux.osrelease Linux kernel operating system release. Changing this to something else is discouraged on non-development systems, because it may change the way Linux programs work. Recent versions of GNU libc are known to use different syscalls depending on the value of this sysctl. compat.linux.oss_version Linux Open Sound System version. The linux module can be linked into the kernel statically with the COMPAT_LINUX kernel configuration option or loaded as required. The fol- lowing command will load the module if it is neither linked into the kernel nor already loaded as a module: if ! kldstat -v | grep -E 'linux(aout|elf)' > /dev/null; then kldload linux > /dev/null 2>&1 fi Note that dynamically linked Linux executables will require a suitable environment in /compat/linux. Specifically, the Linux run-time linker's hints files should be correctly initialized. For this reason, it is common to execute the following commands to prepare the system to correctly run Linux executables: if [ -x /compat/linux/sbin/ldconfig ]; then /compat/linux/sbin/ldconfig -r /compat/linux fi For information on loading the linux kernel loadable module automatically on system startup, see rc.conf(5). This information applies regardless of whether the linux module is statically linked into the kernel or loaded as a module. FILES
/compat/linux minimal Linux run-time environment /compat/linux/proc limited Linux process file system /compat/linux/sys limited Linux system file system SEE ALSO
brandelf(1), elf(5), linprocfs(5), linsysfs(5) HISTORY
Linux ABI support first appeared in FreeBSD 2.1. BSD
February 8, 2010 BSD