Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Mac OS X & UNIX
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) Mac OS X & UNIX Post 302135924 by [MA]Flying_Meat on Thursday 13th of September 2007 02:26:08 PM
Old 09-13-2007
hello, fellojello!

You can find introductory tutorials with a google search (intro to unix).
But you can start by browsing the unix.com forum's very own:
https://www.unix.com/answers-to-frequ...tutorials.html

That would be a good start.

Apple has added some Mac specific commands and functions to what at one time was FreeBSD (er something...) and this Apple modified version of Unix is currently referred to as Darwin, which is available seperately without the Mac GUI.

FreeBSD lives on, of course, and is a fine Unix implementation in it's own right.

To get an idea of just what Unix flavors there are, and when... check out:
http://www.levenez.com/unix/

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mac OS X & Web Dev

Could someone recommend a good book? Regarding Unix and Mac os X? I know the OS is new, but Unix ain't. I would like to know more about setting up the webserver on my machine. All the HTML works fine, it's just when i try to execute a cgi, php or a pl script.. :( I have tried and tried to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chojin
2 Replies

2. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

what is the difference between Unix & linux, what are the advantages & disadvantages

ehe may i know what are the difference between Unix & Linux, and what are the advantages of having Unix as well as disadvantages of having Unix or if u dun mind i am dumb do pls tell me what are the advantages as well as the disadvantages of having linux as well. thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cybertechmkteo
1 Replies

3. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Mac OS X & Unix.

Are the Terminal commands used in Mac OS 10.1.3 the same as those found on a real Unix system? if they are, what book would you recommend as a terminal refferance guide? I already have 'The Missing Manual' by O'Reilly, but there ain't much in terms of managing the system via the terminal :( ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: LAdesign
9 Replies

4. OS X (Apple)

MAC OS X : Q & A :

:confused: = :mad: = :eek: = We have the answear ;) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: i[c]e
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to write If statement using && and operator in Unix

Hi What is the syntax for if statement using && and || operator? if && ] || here its giving me an error to this if statement any suggestion?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Avi
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[solved] Where & what bash env file, Mac OS?

Hi! I wanted to simplify my bash prompt, so I edited my etc/bashrc file. I thought this was the file that would override any other env files. When I opened it, I saw that the way it was setup was not what my prompt looked like, although I forget exactly what was there. But i edited it the way I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sudon't
1 Replies
uri_urn(3tcl)					    Tcl Uniform Resource Identifier Management					     uri_urn(3tcl)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
uri_urn - URI utilities, URN scheme SYNOPSIS
package require Tcl 8.2 package require uri::urn ?1.1.2? uri::urn::quote url uri::urn::unquote url _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This package provides two commands to quote and unquote the disallowed characters for url using the urn scheme, registers the scheme with the package uri, and provides internal helpers which will be automatically used by the commands uri::split and uri::join of package uri to handle urls using the urn scheme. COMMANDS
uri::urn::quote url This command quotes the characters disallowed by the urn scheme (per RFC 2141 sec2.2) in the url and returns the modified url as its result. uri::urn::unquote url This commands performs the reverse of ::uri::urn::quote. It takes an urn url, removes the quoting from all disallowed characters, and returns the modified urls as its result. BUGS, IDEAS, FEEDBACK This document, and the package it describes, will undoubtedly contain bugs and other problems. Please report such in the category uri of the Tcllib SF Trackers [http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=12883]. Please also report any ideas for enhancements you may have for either package and/or documentation. KEYWORDS
rfc 2141, uri, url, urn CATEGORY
Networking uri 1.1.2 uri_urn(3tcl)