Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How do I Process Multiple Files Post 302135923 by jim mcnamara on Thursday 13th of September 2007 02:11:20 PM
Old 09-13-2007
Code:
for file in *.plist
do
  /path/to/myprogram $file >> output.tsv
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to process multiple files in Korn Shell

How do I make the below ksh to process all of the files inside a user specified directory? Currently it can only process one file at a time. #!/bin/ksh tr -s '\11 ' ' ' < $1 > temp0 sed -e 's/,//g' temp0 > temp1 cut -d' ' -f1,4,5 temp1 > final_output rm temp0 temp1 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevefox
3 Replies

2. IP Networking

How to choose Multiple process or Multiple threads?

Hi All, Please explain me when i have to use multiple process and when I have to use Multiple threads? Please give me an example.It will be very helpful for me. Thanks in advance. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashleykumar
0 Replies

3. Programming

Process multiple pcap files at once

Hi all, I'm writing a program using libpcap, and I have multiple pcap files in a folder that I want to capture. I currently have handle = pcap_open_offline("/data/traffic/pcap1.pcap", errbuf"); which works fine since pcap_open_offline() takes in a filename. However, I want to process... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lancer6238
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using AWK: Extract data from multiple files and output to multiple new files

Hi, I'd like to process multiple files. For example: file1.txt file2.txt file3.txt Each file contains several lines of data. I want to extract a piece of data and output it to a new file. file1.txt ----> newfile1.txt file2.txt ----> newfile2.txt file3.txt ----> newfile3.txt Here is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Liverpaul09
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to process multiple input files using Shell scripting

Hi, I would like to write a for loop that does the following: I have a file called X.txt and other files called 1.txt,2.txt, .....,1000.txt. I want to substitute the 6th column of the file X.txt with 1.txt and store the output as X.1. Then I want to do the same with X.txt and 2.txt and store... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Writing a loop to process multiple input files by a shell script

I have multiple input files that I want to manipulate using a shell script. The files are called 250.1 through 250.1000 but I only want the script to manipulate 250.300 through 250.1000. Before I was using the following script to manipulate the text files: for i in 250.*; do || awk... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk, multiple files input and multiple files output

Hi! I'm new in awk and I need some help. I have a folder with a lot of files and I need that awk do something in each file and print a new file with the output. The input file name should be modified when I print the outpu files. Thanks in advance for help! :-) ciao (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gabrysfe
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to process multiple files parallely

Hi, I have a requirement to process multiple files in a directory parallely.Consider the below scenario: In a directory there are three files file1,file2 and file3.When I use for loop each file will be executed in sequence but I want to process parallely. Any Help would be appreciated.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: liyakathali
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Process multiple large files with awk

Hi there, I'm camor and I'm trying to process huge files with bash scripting and awk. I've got a dataset folder with 10 files (16 millions of row each one - 600MB), and I've got a sorted file with all keys inside. For example: a sample_1 200 a.b sample_2 10 a sample_3 10 a sample_1 10 a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: camor
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Xargs to call python executable to process multiple bam files

I am running the below loop that to process the 3 bam files (which isn't always the case). A .py executable is then called using | xargs sh to further process. If I just run it with echo the output is fine and expected, however when | xargs sh is added I get the error. I tried adding | xargs... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
4 Replies
pr(1)							      General Commands Manual							     pr(1)

Name
       pr - print files

Syntax
       pr [ options ] [ files ]

Description
       The  command  prints  the  named files on the standard output.  If file is designated by a minus sign (-), or if no files are specified the
       command assumes standard input.	By default, the listing is separated into pages, each headed by the page number, a date and time, and  the
       name of the file.

By default, columns are of equal width, separated by at least one space.  Lines that do not fit are truncated. However, if the -s option is
       used, lines are not truncated and columns are separated by the separation character.

If the standard output is associated with a terminal, error messages are withheld until has finished printing.

Options
       The following options can be used singly or in combination:

-a      Prints multi-column output across the page.

-b      Prints blank headers.

-d      Double-spaces the output.

-eck    Expands input tabs to character positions k+1, 2*k+1, 3*k+1,... n*k+1.  If k is 0 or is omitted, tabs are set at every eighth posi-
	       tion.  Tab characters in the input are expanded into the appropriate number of spaces.  The default for c (any non-digit character)
	       is the tab character; therefore, if c is given, it is treated as the input tab character.

-f      Uses form-feed character for new pages.	The default is to use a sequence of line-feeds.  The -f option causes the command to pause
	       before beginning the first page if the standard output is associated with a terminal.

-h      Uses the next argument as the header to be printed instead of the file name.

-ick    Replaces  white space in output by inserting tabs to character positions k+1, 2*k+1, 3*k+1,...n*k+1.  If k is 0 or is omitted, tabs
	       are set at every eighth position.  The default for c (any non-digit character) is the tab character; therefore, if c is	given,	it
	       is treated as the input tab character.

+k      Begins printing with page k (default is 1).

-k      Produces k-column output (default is 1).  The -e and -i options are assumed for multi-column output.

-lk     Sets the length of a page to k lines.  The default is 66 lines.

-m      Merges and prints all files simultaneously, one per column (overrides the -k, and -a options).

-nck    Numbers	lines.	The default for k is 20.  The number occupies the first k+1 character positions of each column of normal output or
	       each line of -m output.	If c, which is any non-digit character is given, it is appended to the line number  to	separate  it  from
	       whatever follows.  The default for c is a tab.

-ok     Offsets	each line by k character positions (default is 0).  The number of character positions per line is the sum of the width and
	       offset.

-p      Pauses before beginning each page if the output is directed to a terminal.  The command rings the bell at the terminal and awaits a
	       carriage return.

-r      Suppresses diagnostic reports on failure to open files.

-sc     Separates columns by the single character c instead of by the appropriate number of spaces (default for c is a tab).

-t      Suppresses  the	five-line  identifying header and the five-line trailer normally supplied for each page.  The -t option causes the
	       command to quit printing after the last line of each file without spacing to the end of the page.

-wk     Sets the width of a line to k character positions.  The default is 72 for equal-width multi-column output; otherwise  there  is	no
	       limit.

Examples
       Print file1 and file2 as a double-spaced, three-column listing with the heading:  file list.
       pr -3dh "file list" file1 file2
       Write file1 on file2, expanding tabs to columns 10, 19, 28, 37,...:
       pr -e9 -t <file1>file2

Files
       /dev/tty* to suspend messages

See Also
       cat(1)

pr(1)