Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting To extract the string between two patterns Post 302135882 by ajcannon on Thursday 13th of September 2007 06:22:29 AM
Old 09-13-2007
One inelegant solution

This is a bit clumsy but it seems to do what you want...

cat <file> | sed 's/.*File //' | sed 's/Closing.*$//'

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract certain patterns from file.

Hi All, I tried extracting this pattern using grep but it did not work. What I have is a file which has contents like this: file:///channel/add-adhd.html file:///channel/allergies.html file:///channel/arthritis.html http://mail.yahoo.com/ http://messenger.yahoo.com/... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract patterns and copy them in different files

Hi All, I have a file which looks like this: Name1;A01 Name2;A01.047 Name3;A01.047.025 Newname1;B01 NewName2;B01.056.32 NewName3;B04.09.43 NewNewName1;C01.03 NewNewName2;C01.034.44As you can see, in the file there is some name and followed by the name is some identifier. These... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL: extract lines between two patterns

Hello Perl-experts, I am new to perl and need help to solve a problem. I have a table in below format. <Text A> <Pattern1> A Value B Value C Value D Value <Pattern2> <Text B> This table is in file1. I want to extract lines between Pattern1 and Pattern2 and write it into file2.... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnithink
11 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search and extract matching patterns

%%%%% (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: lucasvs
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract line between two patterns

Hi All, I need a script to extract a lines between two patterns.I have done this using grep,cut,tail and head.But its very slow, because my input file contain more than a lakh. COMMAND:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX yyyyy zzzzzz REQUESTSTRING:aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa;11111 222222 333333... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajamohan
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to extract text repetitively between two patterns

Hi All, I want to extract the text between some pattern which occurs repeatedly in a file. For example my input is like, /home/..... ..........java:25: cannot find symbol ............ /home/...... /home/....... I want to display... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vignesh58
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract all the lines in between of 2 patterns and merge them

Hi, I have a file with many lines and need to extract lines between 2 patterns (AAA and BBB) and merge all the in-between lines into single line separated by space. $ cat file1 blah blah blah blah AAA 1 2 3 blah BBB blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah AAA 5 6 blah blah... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
4 Replies

8. Debian

Extract Lines Between 2 patterns if exist...

Hello. I am not having luck with sed or awk today. $ echo "$BrackListFinal" DSCF3649-DSCF3651_Brkt DSCF3649.JPG 2014-07-21 13:34:44 On 1 DSCF3649.RAF 2014-07-21 13:34:44 On 1 DSCF3650.JPG 2014-07-21 13:34:45 On 2 DSCF3650.RAF 2014-07-21 13:34:45 On 2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DSommers
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract lines between patterns

I have a list in the format below, how do I read through the list and extract the lines between the ##START## and ##END##, so i can check for specific values between each ##START## & ##END## pattern ##START## RANDOMTEXT DFGSD SDFSDF ##END## ##START## morestuff sdfggfg sdfsdf... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: squrcles
10 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Awk/sed command to extract the string between 2 patterns but having some particular value

Hi - i have one file with content as below. ***** BEGIN 123 ***** BASH is awesome ***** END ***** ***** BEGIN 365 ***** KSH is awesome ***** END ***** ***** BEGIN 157 ***** KSH is awesome ***** END ***** ***** BEGIN 7123 ***** C is awesome ***** END ***** I am trying to find all... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: reldb
4 Replies
cdsuf(1)						      General Commands Manual							  cdsuf(1)

NAME
cdsuf - read the System Use Fields from a System Use Area SYNOPSIS
cdsuf [-s number] [-b] file OPTIONS
The following options are available: Specifies the File Section for the System Use Area to be read. The numbering starts with one. If this option is omitted the last File Section of that file is assumed. Copies all of the System Use Fields of the System Use Area from the CD- ROM to standard output in binary format. The name of any file or directory within the CD-ROM file hierarchy. DESCRIPTION
This command is used to access the System Use Fields of the System Use Area associated with a File Section of a file or directory on a Rock Ridge formatted CD-ROM and to list its contents on standard output, following any Continuation Fields that may be present. The output is formatted in the form of a table that contains an entry for each System Use Field in the System Use Area as recorded on the CD-ROM. Each table entry has the fields Signature, Length, Version, and Data as specified in the System Use Sharing Protocol. If the -b option is used, the contents of the full System Use Area are written to standard output in binary format as it is recorded on the CD-ROM. RESTRICTIONS
The user must have read permission for file to execute the command successfully. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: Successful completion. File not found, file is not a file or directory within a CD-ROM file hier- archy, or access denied. File Section indicated by -s does not exist. File Section indicated by -s has no System Use Area. SEE ALSO
cd_suf(3) cdsuf(1)