Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting change file type to hidden using chmod command Post 302135774 by sysgate on Wednesday 12th of September 2007 08:45:43 AM
Old 09-12-2007
You cannot achieve this with chmod, you can "chmod 000 inputfile.txt && chown root:root inputfile.txt", thus making file owned by root and noone can "cat" the file for example. Making "hidden" files is being done by renaming the file to ".inputfile.txt" but even then someone can do "ls -la" and he will still see the file.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

change permission chmod

Hi, when I launch my perl script, I write on the shell: perl x.pl How I can can change the permission to write only: x to launch the program? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Minguccio75
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

change the contraints type of fields in database

how to disable the contraint type of a field (which is present in diffrent tables ) in database using a single unix script file. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shaksing
4 Replies

3. Solaris

chmod command

Hi, I want to create one user who has right to run chmod command in solaris, Any Idea? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
7 Replies

4. OS X (Apple)

Programatically change which opens a file type

Hi there, If we have 2 apps on our customers machines that can both open files of a certain file extension, is there any way via shell commands to set which application should be the default? Essentially, I'm hoping to replicate Get Info > Open With > Change All, but using a script. Thanks... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: davewg
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change Rights Recursive with chmod

Hello, i want just to change Rights for a few direcories anf files, but some directories must be exclude. How can i put the command chmod as chmod -R 755 * exclude toto tata where toto and tata are directories Could you help me for that or must I use the find command Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: steiner
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change the permission to previously used in unix ( chmod )

I have changed the premission of a file to 777. Now I would like to change permission to previously used ( UNDO ). Is there any command ?:confused: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: frintocf
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Change chmod on files in diff directories

I am looking for a small script to crawl through several directories and change a couple of files in each directory to read write status. Anyone have any ideas ? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: zapper222
5 Replies

8. Red Hat

Can I change the partition type with fdisk without disrupting data?

Hello, I have been going through our environment and I see we have a few servers with LVM's setup and the file system type is still set to "83" within fdisk. If I change this to "8e", will it hurt the data or cause any loss? I need to know for sure before I make the change. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: s ladd
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rsync - how to copy hidden folder or hidden files when using full path

Hello. I use this command : rsync -av --include=".*" --dry-run "$A_FULL_PATH_S" "$A_FULL_PATH_D"The data comes from the output of a find command. And no full source directories are in use, only some files. Source example... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
2 Replies
WMC(1)							      Wine Developers Manual							    WMC(1)

NAME
wrc - Wine Message Compiler SYNOPSIS
wmc [options] [inputfile] DESCRIPTION
wmc compiles messages from inputfile into FormatMessage[AW] compatible format encapsulated in a resourcescript format. wmc outputs the data either in a standard .bin formatted binary file, or can generated inline resource data. wmc takes only one inputfile as argument (see BUGS). The inputfile normally has extension .mc. The messages are read from standard input if no inputfile is given. If the outputfile is not specified with -o, then wmc will write the output to inputfile.{rc,h}. The outputfile is named wmc.tab.{rc,h} if no inputfile was given. OPTIONS
-B x Set output byte-order x={n[ative], l[ittle], b[ig]}. Default is n[ative]. -c Set 'custom-bit' in message-code values. -d NON-FUNCTIONAL; Use decimal values in output -D Set debug flag. This results is a parser trace and a lot of extra messages. -h Print an informative usage message. -H file Write headerfile to file. Default is inputfile.h. -i Inline messagetable(s). This option skips the generation of all .bin files and writes all output into the .rc file. This encoding is parsable with wrc(1). -o file Output to file. Default is inputfile.rc. -u Assume that the inputfile is in unicode. -U Write resource output in unicode formatted messagetable(s). -v Show all supported codepages and languages. -V Print version end exit. -W Enable pedantic warnings. EXTENSIONS
The original syntax is extended to support codepages more smoothly. Normally, codepages are based on the DOS-codepage from the language setting. The original syntax only allows the destination codepage to be set. However, this is not enough for non-DOS systems which do not use unicode source-files. A new keyword Codepages is introduced to set both input and output codepages to anything one wants for each language. The syntax is similar to the other constructs: Codepages '=' '(' language '=' cpin ':' cpout ... ')' The language is the numerical language-ID or the alias set with LanguageNames. The input-codepage cpin and output-codepage cpout are the numerical codepage-IDs. There can be multiple mapping within the definition and the definition may occur more than once. AUTHORS
wmc was written by Bertho A. Stultiens. BUGS
The message compiler should be able to have multiple inputfiles and combine them into one outputfile. This would enable the splitting of languages into separate files. Unicode detection of the input is suboptimal, to say the least. It should recognize byte-order-marks (BOM) and decide what to do. Decimal output is completely lacking. Don't know whether it should be implemented because it is a, well, non-informative format change. It is recognized on the commandline for some form of compatibility. AVAILABILITY
wmc is part of the wine distribution, which is available through WineHQ, the wine development headquarters, at http://www.winehq.org/. SEE ALSO
wine(1), wrc(1) Wine 1.2-rc6 October 2005 WMC(1)