Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Replacing Comma by Tab
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Replacing Comma by Tab Post 302135526 by fazliturk on Monday 10th of September 2007 09:20:36 AM
Old 09-10-2007
I tried sed but \t didn't work
but in awk print "\t" works

so I used this one it worked ,it may be used somewhere;

sed "s/,/`awk 'BEGIN{print "\t"}'`/g inputfile

-or-
sed "s/,/`echo "\t"`/g" inputfile

Last edited by fazliturk; 09-10-2007 at 10:39 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing comma's with newlines using sed

Hi All, silly question that I'm sure is easy to answer for a more experienced coder... I have a file called test.txt containing the following text... need, to, break, this, line, into, individual, lines using sed, I'd like to make the file look like this... need to break this line... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_coder
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace comma(,) with Tab

hi all, i have a file with commas(,). i want to replace all the commas with tab(\t). Plz help...its urgent... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikas_kesarwani
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing dot for comma

I wanted to change 34.66 to 34,66. I tried the command: sed 's/./,/' $NUM Where $NUM is a variable with 34.66 value. The output is ,4.66 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bdalmeida
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Suppressing space replacing by comma

hi i want to replace spaces by comma my file is ADD 16428 170 160 3 WNPG 204 941 No 204802 ADD 16428 170 160 3 WNPG 204 941 No 204803 ADD 16428 170 160 3 WNPG 204 941 No 204804 ADD... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghavendra.cse
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed help - replacing 6th comma with a space

Hi, How can I replace the 6th comma on each line (of a csv) with a space? Any online tutorials with plenty of examples using sed would be very useful. Alex (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcclunyboy
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replacing | with a comma

I have a huge file which is pipe delimiter and i want to replace the pipe delimiter to a comma Please Help as its v urgent. Ex: parent|child|alias|....Heading of the file...and the data is of similar structure. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: win4luv
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Making a Tab delimiter file to Comma

How can i make a tab delimiter file to a comma delimiter??? (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: saggiboy10
13 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to convert comma delimited file to tab separator

Hi all, How can i convert comma delimited .csv file to tab separate using sed command or script. Thanks, Krupa (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: krupasindhu18
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with Sed (replacing parenthesis and comma)

I have the following text as an input text: input.txt Results('Toilet', 'Sink', ) and i want to remove the last comma so the output is output.txt Results('Toilet', 'Sink' ) I tried using the following sed command, but I get a parsing error: sed s/, \)/\)/g input.txt >... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jl487
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing tab value in xml file

Hi I am working on xml file. I have to make sure below lines containing values within quotes are replaced by some character like "-". Below are different lines in xml file. Pattern 1: <Connector port=.... ..... keystoremyPass="xxx" /> Pattern 2: myword="xxxxx" ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: krsnadasa
11 Replies
TASKS(3)                                                User Contributed Perl Documentation                                               TASKS(3)

NAME
TASKS - Want to help? These things need doing... Increase test coverage More tests need to be added to test the codes that not urrently being tested. It's pretty poor right now: http://pjcj.sytes.net/cover/latest/DBI-1.52/coverage.html Start with improving the subroutine coverage http://pjcj.sytes.net/cover/latest/DBI-1.52/blib-lib-DBI-pm--subroutine.html Test the proxy The current t/80proxy.t is isolated from the rest of the test suite so actually tests very little, and what it does test is duplicating other tests. Ideally the proxy should be tested in the same way as DBI::PurePerl. In other words, by creating wrappers test files for each test file that set $ENV{DBI_AUTOPROXY} and run the original test. They'll also need to start and stop a proxy server. Fixing bugs The official bug list is here: http://rt.cpan.org/NoAuth/Bugs.html?Dist=DBI Naturally I'll offer direction and guidance on any you want to tackle. I've also got a few that could be entered into rt.cpan.org. Others General: Protect trace_msg from SIGPIPE? prepare(...,{ Err=>my $isolated_err, ...}) Add trace module that just records the last N trace messages into an array and prepends them to any error message to provide context for the error. Document DBI_PROFILE_FLOCK and LockFile attrib in DBI::ProfileData and DBI::ProfileDumper Performance: Move _new_sth to DBI::db::_new_sth (leave alias) and implement in C Or call _new_child and move to DBI::common? Implement FETCH_many() in C Add high-res dbi_time for windows - via Time::HiRes glob replace dbi_time()? perl v5.12.1 2009-06-08 TASKS(3)