Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Combining find, grep and gzip Post 302135424 by porter on Sunday 9th of September 2007 02:24:16 PM
Old 09-09-2007
Code:
find . -name "*.gz" | while read N
do
     if gzip -d $N | grep Simon  
     then
          echo $N
     fi
done

should do something like what you want....

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to perform Grep on many Gzip files, Searching for Specific information

Hello, I am wondering if you can assist with my question and ask kindly for this. I have a number of files that are listed as file1.gz through file100.gz. I am trying to perform a grep on the files and find a specific date that only resides within within one of the files. There are... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: legharb
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep bunch of gzip files to count based on category

Started using unix commands recently. I have 50 gzip files. I want to grep each of these files for a line count based particular category in column 3. How can I do that? For example Sr.No Date City Description Code Address 1 06/09 NY living here 0909 10st st nyc 2 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jinxx
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combining find, grep and possibly ls?!

Hi - can someone please help me combine find, grep and possibly ls into something workable: i.e. How can I list all the files that contain the word "pet" in all directories under the current directory that are called "animal", bar those anywhere under directories called "archive"? I suspect... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cs03dmj
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Find Gzip rename and mv

Hi all, what i'm trying to configure its to the following, find all files older then 1 min,gzip them ,rename/move with date and extension .gz (example tes.log_2012-07-26.gz) and trying to move them to another folder (gzipped),the command i'm typing its this, find /home/charli/Desktop/test/ -type... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: charli1
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

FIND: Combining -size & -prune

I am having an issue adding the -size test to my find command. I am trying to find all files smaller than 250mb, that are not in .snapsnot or man directories. What i started with find . -xdev -type d \( -name man -o -name .snapshot \) -prune -o -type f What I have tried..unsuccessfully... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitrobass24
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Failed to use find-tar-gzip together

Hello I am trying to select multiple files older than 14 days and create a single compressed file out of it. (AIX Release 3 Version 5) I am trying to achieve it by following tar -cvf db01_log.tar `find . -name "db01*.log" -mtime +14" -print`| gzip > db01_log.tar however it just... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chetanz
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Some help with a find/fuser/gzip crontab job

Hello, I am trying to write a housekeeping that finds all .trc files older than x days in a given FS, checks if they are used and gzips them if they are not used by any process. I need to do it without calling any additional .sh script. I managed to make it work for Linux only: find .... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Valkov
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Combining grep patterns with OR condition?!

Hello! I have a question about how to combine patterns in grep commands with the OR operator. So I have this little assignment here: Provide a regular expression that matches email addresses for San Jose City College faculty. A San Jose City college faculty’s email address takes the form:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kalpcalp
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Need help ASAP - FIND - TAR - GZIP

Hi, I need to combined in 1 line the execution below : find * -type f -mtime -$nb_days -print | xargs tar -cvf $MAITUT/BCK_DATA.tar gzip $MAITUT/BCK_DATA.tar.gz The fact that the TAR is very big, at the end I need to generate only the GZ file. The option z on the tar... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: royinfo.alain
2 Replies

10. HP-UX

Hpux find tar gzip

Hello, I will like to execute a find, tar & gzip in one command. find * -type f -mtime -$nb_days -print | xargs tar -cvf $MAITUT/BCK_DATA.tar gzip $MAITUT/BCK_DATA.tar.gz The fact that the TAR is very big, at the end I need to generate only a compress file. Please note... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: royinfo.alain
22 Replies