Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: command to list dot files
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers command to list dot files Post 302135391 by Jakeman1086 on Sunday 9th of September 2007 01:18:08 AM
Old 09-09-2007
Please. Anybody? This should not be a hard question. I am in an introductory Unix class, and this is not meant to be a difficult question.

Thanks again.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I search my dot files for suspicious text?

My company Unix guru enabled fortune in my .login (dot login?) file. When i asked him how he did it he told me to search my dot files for "suspicious" text. He wants me to learn more about all of the dot files. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: noobie_doo
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

dot files

Hi, everyone. I'm now using rsync command, and please tell me what is the wildcard for below looks like. I want to chose dotfiles, such as .ipod .apple but i don't want to chose . and .. ------------------ .* doesn't work, of course. Thanks, Euler04 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Euler04
2 Replies

3. Linux

The dot command-line utility?

Hi, What else is the dot used beside relative filepaths in bash? Is it a shell utility as well? No man entry for dot (.)... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: varelg
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to call dot c file using system command

Hi every one, i have to dot pc files. One have main function but one dont have.I have to call dot pc file using system () cmd.File is being call have main function.Please let me know how i can call .pc file with two arguments from other dot pc file.I want some thing like sprintf(buf,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: goraya430
1 Replies

5. Programming

how to call dot c file using system command

Hi every one, i have to dot pc files. One have main function but one dont have.I have to call dot pc file using system () cmd.File is being call have main function.Please let me know how i can call .pc file with two arguments from other dot pc file.I want some thing like sprintf(buf, "ss_xxx.pc... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: goraya430
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dot and redirected output syntax in a tar command

Hi All, Please could anyone advise what the purpose of the dot syntax in the following command means: tar -cvf ${WORKING_BACKUP_ROOT}/${TAR_ARCHIVE_FILE} . >/${BACKUP_ROOT}/${ARCHIVE_LOG} Many thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: daveu7
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to remove a variable starting with dot using sed command

Hi, I want to remove a variable starting with dot(.) in a file using sed command. aaa sss .abc s/^\.abc/d I tried this but it didnt worked. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vdhingra123
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

List the file with a dot

I am on hp-ux and not able to catch the file with dot using a wild card. $ touch .test $ ls -l .test -rw-r--r-- 1 oracle dba 0 Mar 21 05:20 .test $ ls -l *test *test not found $ ls -la *test *test not found Why i am not able to list the file startign with .... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bang_dba
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ls command with wild card can't return filenames starting with dot

I came across the following behaviour in Solaris 10 (x86-64bit) and RHEL 5.6 (Tikanga) -a option in ls command is supposed to list all files starting with a dot. From the man page of ls -a, --all do not ignore entries starting with . $ touch .mytestfile $ vi .mytestfile $... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraljic
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help to explaining a command in run dot tcl

Hi, I'm running a rdt (run dot tcl) command, and come accross this line: alias abc 'set ARGS =(\!*); source home123/abc/$ARGS/setup' What does the command exactly do? Please help. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mar85
6 Replies
hostname(5)							File Formats Manual						       hostname(5)

NAME
hostname - Host name resolution description DESCRIPTION
Host names are domains, where a domain is a hierarchical, dot-separated list of subdomains; for example, the machine monet, in the Berkeley subdomain of the EDU subdomain of the Internet would be represented as follows: monet.Berkeley.EDU Notice that there is no trailing dot. Host names are often used with network client and server programs, which must generally translate the name to an address for use. (This function is generally performed by the gethostbyname() function.) Host names are resolved by the Internet name resolver in the following fashion. If the name consists of a single component (that is, contains no dot), and if the HOSTALIASES environment variable is set to the name of a file, that file is searched for a string matching the input host name. The file should consist of lines made up of two white-space sepa- rated strings, the first of which is the host name alias, and the second of which is the complete host name to be substituted for that alias. If a case-insensitive match is found between the host name to be resolved and the first field of a line in the file, the substi- tuted name is looked up with no further processing. If the input name ends with a trailing dot, the trailing dot is removed, and the remaining name is looked up with no further processing. If the input name does not end with a trailing dot, it is looked up by searching through a list of domains until a match is found. The default search list includes first the local domain, then its parent domains with at least 2 name components (longest first). For example, in the domain CS.Berkeley.EDU, the name lithium.CChem will be checked first as lithium.CChem.CS.Berkeley.EDU and then as lithium.CChem.Berkeley.EDU. Lithium.CChem.EDU will not be tried, as there is only one component remaining from the local domain. The search path can be changed from the default by a system-wide configuration file. SEE ALSO
Functions: gethostbyname(3) Commands: named(8) hostname(5)