Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: cat /proc/ files
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting cat /proc/ files Post 302135121 by royalibrahim on Thursday 6th of September 2007 03:33:36 AM
Old 09-06-2007
cat /proc/ files

Hi,
I need to write a shell script that should lists only the files that starts with alphabet from the /proc dir and then I have to cat those files and redirect to a file.

But my below script is not working. It is reading the first file properly but not the subsequent files. Please throw a light on this for me:

Code:
for file in "`ls -l /proc/ | grep "^-" | awk '{ print $8 }' | grep "^[a-zA-Z]"`"
do   
   cat /proc/"$file" >> file.txt
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH CAT Two files into one

Quick question, File A has one line (10 charachters), File B has one line (10 charachters). how do a concat these two files together to produce a file (File C) that has the contents of Files A + B together onto one line of 20 Charachters if I use: cat FileA FileB > FileC I get the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kshelluser
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cat files

Hi, I was a typical Windows guy. Like to do things just by clicking my mouse:cool:. I got a new job now...where they are big on unix. I am trying to wet my fingures now with unix. Haven't taken the dive yet. I am trying to find a solution for this problem. Please help me with some... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandeep78
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between cat , cat > , cat >> and touch !!!

Hi Can anybody tell the difference between Difference between cat , cat > , cat >> and touch command in UNIX? Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: skyineyes
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

_/proc/stat vs /proc/uptime

Hi, I am trying to calculate the CPU Usage by getting the difference between the idle time reported by /proc/stat at 2 different intervals. Now the 4th entry in the first line of /proc/stat will give me the 'idle time'. But I also came across /proc/uptime that gives me 2 entries : 1st one as the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: coderd
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat certain files in directories to files named after the dir?

Hi all, I have a directory with many subdirectories each named like so: KOG0001, KOG0002, ...KOG9999. Each of these subdirectories contain a variable number two kinds of files (nuc and prot) named like so: Capitella_sp_nuc_hits.fasta (nuc) and Capitella_sp_prot_hits.fasta (prot). The... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmkocot
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Impact of zero link count files in proc

Greetings I want to confirm about HUGE and old files with linkcount 0 in proc file system. what is their impact on size of root File system? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_os
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Edit files with cat

Hi, sometimes one wants to edit files while still seeing output of earlier commands in terminal. I've found out that cat test && cat - >> test does the trick for displaying file content and adding lines but I believe I saw a much cooler command that was also able to erase lines from files. I cannot... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: scarleo
6 Replies

8. Solaris

Zero link count files in proc

Hi Experts, I had encountered an issue where the zero link process was holding too much amount of data on a Solaris server. I was able to terminate the process after which the space of the file system was released. 40G /proc/8567/fd/2 Can you please let me know if there are any... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhanu1985
11 Replies

9. IP Networking

Cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_local_port_range

Hello, /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_local_port_range returns 32000 - 61000, i have a client TCP and a Server TCP. i have used bind() only on the server, the port of socket client is given by the OS that's it ? it retrieves this port from this range (/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_local_port_range) ? ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chercheur111
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cat N files in a folder

I am new to Linux and I am trying to cat only N files in a folder. N is dynamically given number at runtime. If I give N as 2 then cat only 2 files in the folder and If I give N as 5 then cat only 5 files in the folder. Is there any way to do that? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: KMusunuru
6 Replies
ZGREP(1)                                                      General Commands Manual                                                     ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)