Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Character replacement
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Character replacement Post 302135119 by deaconf19 on Thursday 6th of September 2007 02:48:52 AM
Old 09-06-2007
you could do within vi the global repleace

:g/c2/s//c5/g

this replaces everything with c2 to c5. you could some how work this into a script to do a larger directory if you do not feel like vi a file. not sure though

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed in character replacement in Korn Shell

How do I replace a space " " character at a particular position in a line? e.g. I have a file below $ cat i2 111 002 A a 33 0011 B c 2222 003 C a I want all the 1st spaces to be replaced with forward slash "/" and the 3rd spaces to have 5 spaces to get the output below: 111/002... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevefox
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH - Character Replacement

Hey all. Easy question. I have a (ksh) varaible x. It contains the following (for example): N557788 I want to replace the "N" with a "-". I've done this before but for the life of me I cannot remember how I did it. Thanks. mtw (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mixxamike
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed-Special character replacement

Hi I want to replace ./testsed.ksh with testsed.ksh ./ is to be removed scriptnm=`sed -e 's/\.///' $0 does not work Please help (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: usshell
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

banner character replacement

Can we able to replace the character # in banner command with some other characters. Can we able to blink the character in Kornshell (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sivakumar.rj
1 Replies

5. Programming

python, character replacement

Hello, I need to do this in python but I'm just learning py and it's quite urgent. I have a script I created and need an interactive python script to modify part of a line. MY SCRIPT #ligand prep. Uses 'ind' prefix. The initial ligand must be ind.pdb. This #generates ind.pdbqt.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gav2251
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

read in a file character by character - replace any unknown ASCII characters with spa

Can someone help me to write a script / command to read in a file, character by character, replace any unknown ASCII characters with space. then write out the file to a new filename/ Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raghav525
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

global search and replacement of a non-ascii character

Hi, I need to do a global search and replacement of a non-ascii character. Let me first give the background of my problem. Very frequently, I need to copy set of references from different sources. Typically, a reference would like this: Banumathy et al., 2002 G. Banumathy, V. Singh and U.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: effjay
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - replacement file path with variable - Escaping / character

Hi,, I have the line below in a file: $!VarSet |LFDSFN1| = '"E:\APC\Trials\20140705_427_Prototype Trial\Data\T4_20140705_Trial_Cycle_Data_13_T_Norm.txt" "VERSION=100 FILEEXT=\"*.txt\" FILEDESC=\"General Text\" "+""+"TITLE{SEARCH=NONE NAME=\"New Dataset\" LINE=1I want to write a script to change... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: carlr
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trigger email from script if the Special Character replacement is successfull

Hello Gurus, I have a script developed... #!/bin/bash #--------------------------------------------------------------------- # This pScript will remove/replace the special characters fromfiles #--------------------------------------------------------------------- trxdate="`date... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nanduedi
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Special character replacement

Hi Guys, I have a file which needs to be replaced with tab delimited AA§Orgin Name§Mapping based on prod_usa§§§§ BB§Date§2019-08-11 23:30:01§§§§ I am trying below code sed 's// /g' test.txt Expected AA|Orgin Name|Mapping based on prod_usa||| BB|Date|2019-08-11 23:30:01|||| (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohit_shinez
6 Replies
SPLIT(3)								 1								  SPLIT(3)

split - Split string into array by regular expression

SYNOPSIS
array split (string $pattern, string $string, [int $limit = -1]) DESCRIPTION
Splits a $string into array by regular expression. Warning This function has been DEPRECATED as of PHP 5.3.0. Relying on this feature is highly discouraged. PARAMETERS
o $pattern - Case sensitive regular expression. If you want to split on any of the characters which are considered special by regular expressions, you'll need to escape them first. If you think split(3) (or any other regex function, for that matter) is doing some- thing weird, please read the file regex.7, included in the regex/ subdirectory of the PHP distribution. It's in manpage format, so you'll want to do something along the lines of man /usr/local/src/regex/regex.7 in order to read it. o $string - The input string. o $limit - If $limit is set, the returned array will contain a maximum of $limit elements with the last element containing the whole rest of $string. RETURN VALUES
Returns an array of strings, each of which is a substring of $string formed by splitting it on boundaries formed by the case-sensitive regular expression $pattern. If there are n occurrences of $pattern, the returned array will contain n+1 items. For example, if there is no occurrence of $pattern, an array with only one element will be returned. Of course, this is also true if $string is empty. If an error occurs, split(3) returns FALSE. EXAMPLES
Example #1 split(3) example To split off the first four fields from a line from /etc/passwd: <?php list($user, $pass, $uid, $gid, $extra) = split(":", $passwd_line, 5); ?> Example #2 split(3) example To parse a date which may be delimited with slashes, dots, or hyphens: <?php // Delimiters may be slash, dot, or hyphen $date = "04/30/1973"; list($month, $day, $year) = split('[/.-]', $date); echo "Month: $month; Day: $day; Year: $year<br /> "; ?> NOTES
Note As of PHP 5.3.0, the regex extension is deprecated in favor of the PCRE extension. Calling this function will issue an E_DEPRECATED notice. See the list of differences for help on converting to PCRE. Tip split(3) is deprecated as of PHP 5.3.0. preg_split(3) is the suggested alternative to this function. If you don't require the power of regular expressions, it is faster to use explode(3), which doesn't incur the overhead of the regular expression engine. Tip For users looking for a way to emulate Perl's @chars = split('', $str) behaviour, please see the examples for preg_split(3) or str_split(3). SEE ALSO
preg_split(3), spliti(3), str_split(3), explode(3), implode(3), chunk_split(3), wordwrap(3). PHP Documentation Group SPLIT(3)