Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Cksum dependencies
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Cksum dependencies Post 302134969 by porter on Tuesday 4th of September 2007 11:40:52 PM
Old 09-05-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by vibhor_agarwali
Hi,

On what factors does the cksum depend.

If i build 2 machines exactly the same, then can i get the checksum of 2 compiled files same.

Thanks
Not if things like
Code:
char built_on[]=__DATE__;

are in the source.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Anyone know how cksum works?

hello all. I'm not asking about the algorithm - or how it goes about computing the checksum - I'm asking how it views/looks at the files it does the cksum on. For instance: Say you had a directory named "dir_A" And within this directory you had some files. So: dir_A - file1 -... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kapolani
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

cksum question

Hi there, I have a query about cksum. I'm running a script on the Unix box and in a script the cksum result differs from when I run it manually. As far as I can see the file is not being changed, is there any other times that the cksum would be different. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rjsha1
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

The cksum Problem

Hi, I have a working script, well it works on my machine but when I try it on others the cksum section does not work properly (I know the scripting is not of a high quality but I'm just trying to get it working) Heres the script: #!/bin/sh case $# in 0) echo "usage: enshar filename... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dim-Wit
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

using cksum

hi, I am trying to use the cksum feature in unix. when i make a call to it i get returned something along the lines of: 4603435 14 file3 how do i get the first part of this response only; i.e: 4603435 I'm trying to use at a way without the use of sed and creating temp... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: leeRoberts2007
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cksum command usage

Hi All, I am using cksum command in s script to check integrity of set of files transffred across the network. What are the advantages and disadvantages/limitations of this command? Is the byte count return reliable? What are the other alternatives I could use for this purpose? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Axis99
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sorting cksum output.

Hi guys, I have a service directory with a lot of files in. I have to cksum the whole directory and compare it to a release note document. However the problem I have is the files are listed in different lines when running cksum as they are in the release doc. Therefore cksum shows... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Stin
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

EEPROM CKSUM - Is there such thing?

Hi all, So I have a binary file and I need to generate an expected EEPROM checksum for it. Ideally, I would like to input the file (with the path) and output a computed checksum. Ive been using (cksum file1) with no avail and I was just curious as to whether there is such thing as EEPROM... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TeamUSA
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

EEPROM CKSUM? what is this?

Hi all, So I have a binary file and I need to generate an expected EEPROM checksum for it. Ideally, I would like to input the file (with the path) and output a computed checksum. Ive been using (cksum file1) with no avail and I was just curious as to whether there is such thing as EEPROM cksum,... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cksum file1 confusion

Hi all, I'm currently trying to write a script that will input a .bin file (including file path) and output a computed checksum. My knowledge on checksums are not very good but I know that it should be a 32 bit sum of all the words in the file. If anyone can provide me any assistance, it... (4 Replies)
4 Replies
cksum(n)							       cksum								  cksum(n)

NAME
cksum - calculate a cksum(1) compatible checksum SYNOPSIS
package require Tcl 8.2 package require cksum ?1.0? ::crc::cksum ?-format format? message ::crc::cksum ?-format format? -filename file DESCRIPTION
This package provides a Tcl-only implementation of the cksum(1) algorithm based upon information provided at in the GNU implementation of this program as part of the GNU Textutils 2.0 package. COMMANDS
::crc::cksum ?-format format? message ::crc::cksum ?-format format? -filename file The command takes string data or a file name and returns a checksum value calculated using the cksum(1) algorithm. The result is formatted using the format(n) specifier provided or as an unsigned integer (%u) by default. OPTIONS
-filename name Return a checksum for the file contents instead of for parameter data. -format string Return the checksum using an alternative format template. EXAMPLES
% crc::cksum "Hello, World!" 2609532967 % crc::cksum -format 0x%X "Hello, World!" 0x9B8A5027 % crc::cksum -file cksum.tcl 1828321145 SEE ALSO
sum(n), crc32(n) AUTHORS
Pat Thoyts KEYWORDS
cksum, checksum, crc, crc32, cyclic redundancy check, data integrity, security crc 1.0 cksum(n)