Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting date and time to display on the terminal Post 302134941 by cesarNZ on Tuesday 4th of September 2007 05:32:50 PM
Old 09-04-2007
thanks for the reply, got one more problem. I don't have any write access to this box where i will be running this script so i can't take the grep command i am using and write it out to a file. would something like this work :

awk '{ b=gensub(/\[(.+)\].*\[(.+)\]/,"\\1 \\2","g",$0) ;print b }' "grep -i \'text to grep\' Out.log "

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to display last login date/time?

I was wondering if anyone had a script that would display the last time a user logged into a particular machine. I know about the "last" command, but it gives too much info.... I just wanted to know the last time a user used his/her id. ANy help would be greatly appreciated. Ryan (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ryaneverett5
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

terminal display

I want to display a system warning message at the prompt of every live terminal on a sun solaris 8 machine using CDE. I know this can be done on a console, but what about dtterm and xterm regular windows? Does anyone know how this is done? What about a single terminal? Clear skies,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: seismic_willy
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Understanding terminal display of (awkward) characters

Gurus, I've been on computers for a while, but I've yet to have the behind-the-scenes knowledge. I'm not sure if this is so much a Unix question as it is a nitty gritty computer one. We received a customer file which had a "funny apostrophe." When displaying the file via more, the character... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: effigy
1 Replies

4. Solaris

display date n Time

Hi Friends, Can any one guide me regarding 'Display the date and time' command other than the command 'date' thanks n regards SsRrIi (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SsRrIi
1 Replies

5. AIX

Unable to display the date-time in seconds on AIX

Hi, In unix the command "date +%s" displays the date-time in seconds since â00:00:00 1970-01-01 UTCâ (a GNU extension) when executed on unix: -sh-2.05b$ date +%s 1152092690 I tried with all the format control output but unable to display the date-time in seconds i,e as in unix format. Can... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: me_haroon
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to always display date/time regardless of directory?

I found via Google a way to show the date and time stamp once I log in. However, whenever I cd to another directory it doesn't display the correct path. Here are the relevant parts from my .kshrc : unset _h _m _s eval $(date "+_h=%H ;_m=%M ;_s=%S") ((SECONDS =... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mike F.
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to display message when starting a terminal

Hello all, I would like a message to be displayed on the shell when someone opens up the terminal - something like a welcome msg with date and time. I know how to do this by running the shell commands but dont know how to display it when a user opens up the terminal? Thanks in advance (27 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrudula009
27 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Display files created on particular date & time

Hi , I have BASH system & i am trying to display the files created on a particular date and time, and after displaying those files I also want to delete all those files.Can anyone of you help me out for this............. Thanx Original post contents restored... Please do not erase the question... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshtomar82
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Display Date and Time in GDB

In gdb is there any way we can display date/time in first column while debugging or is there any command which will print date/time? I am asking this just to know when exactly a breakpoint got hit. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rupeshkp728
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Display-performance in terminal, bash or python?

Heyas I've been working on my project TUI (Text User Interface) for quite some time now, its a hobby project, so nothing i sit in front of 8hrs/day. Since the only 'real' programming language i knw is Visual Basic, based upon early steps with MS-Batch files. When i 'joined' linux 3 years ago,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
7 Replies
ZGREP(1)                                                      General Commands Manual                                                     ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)