Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Edit a large file in place
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Edit a large file in place Post 302134697 by mvijayv on Monday 3rd of September 2007 02:09:35 AM
Old 09-03-2007
12123|12345678
42142|23442253
52315|32250205
around 50 million

Now I want to at random choose records and change the value of the second column

For example if I choose the second record at random. I will change the 2nd column to a random value:

12123|12345678
42142|53988989
52315|32250205

same operation 1 million times each time choosing a different record at random.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to edit large files using vi

How to edit large file using vi where you can't increase /usr/var/tmp anymore? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nazri
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help to edit a large file

I am trying to edit a file that has 33k+ records. In this file I need to edit each record that has a 'Y' in the 107th position and change the 10 fields before the 'Y' to blanks. Not all records have a 'Y' in the 107th field. ex: ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jxh461
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to edit large file in unix

hi All, Plz let me know how to edit a file with 2000000 records. each record contains with 40 field seperated by |. i want modify 455487 record, but i am uable to edit this large file using vi editor in unix. plz let me know how to modify this file. Thanks in advance. -Bali Reddy (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: balireddy_77
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scripting the process to edit a large file

Hi, I need to make a script to edit a file. File is a large file in below format Version: 2008120101 ;$INCLUDE ./abc/xyz/Delhi ;$INCLUDE ./abc/xyz/London $INCLUDE ./abc/xyz/New York First line in the file is version number which is in year,month,date and serial number format. Each... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: makkar4u
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed edit in place -i issues

Hello, I am attempting to create a command that I can eventually put into a loop so I can edit 1file on many servers. I would like to edit the file in place with sed -i. If not I will take any suggestions on how to use a temp file. I need to remove a email address from the configuration file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: abacus
4 Replies

6. Solaris

What is the best way to copy data from place to another place?

Dear Gurus, I need you to advice or suggestion about the best solution to copy data around 200-300G from serverA(location A) to serverB(location B). Normally, I will share folder and then copy but it takes too long time(about 2 days). Do you have any suggestion or which way should be... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: unitipon
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read from file specific place in file using inode

Hello, I am using tcsh on AIX. I would like to write a script that does the following: 1. given an inode, how do I find exactly the name of the file? I know I could do this using ls -i | grep <inode> but it returns: <inode> <filename>. I need some string manipulation or something to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lastZenMaster
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get awk to edit in place and join all lines in text file

Hi, I lack the utter fundamentals on how to craft an awk script. I have hundreds of text files that were mangled by .doc format so all the lines are broken up so I need to join all of the lines of text into a single line. Normally I use vim command "ggVGJ" to join all lines but with so many... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: n00ti
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to edit a large file

Whenever I am trying to edit a file in unix with vi editor, I am getting the following error: <data> :Tmp file too large Is there any way that I can edit the file other than vi. Any help is really appreciated. Thanks (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobby1015
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a file in all directories and place the file in that directory

Hi All, Daily I am getting the updated file. I have to search for this file in all directories and sub directories. If the file existed in a particular directory then move this updated file to that particular directory. If the file is not existed in any of the directories then place this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ROCK_PLSQL
4 Replies
rand(3C)																  rand(3C)

NAME
rand(), rand_r(), srand() - simple random-number generator SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
uses a multiplicative, congruential, random-number generator with period 2^32 that returns successive pseudo-random numbers in the range from 0 to 2^15-1. can be called at any time to reset the random-number generator to a random starting point. The generator is initially seeded with a value of 1. returns a random number at the address pointed to by the randval parameter. The seed parameter can be set at any time to start the random- number generator at an arbitrary point. Note The spectral properties of leave a great deal to be desired. provides a much better, though more elaborate, random-number generator (see drand48(3C)). RETURN VALUE
If seed or randval is NULL, returns 0. Otherwise, returns a psuedo-random integer. EXAMPLES
The following: int x, y; srand(10); x = rand(); y = rand(); would produce the same results as: int x, y, s = 10; x=rand_r(&s); y=rand_r(&s); WARNINGS
Users of should note that rand_r() now conforms with POSIX.1c. The old prototype of is supported for compatibility with existing DCE applications only. SEE ALSO
drand48(3C), random(3M), thread_safety(5), random(7). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
rand(3C)