Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Please get me started on my virtual server Post 302134445 by knownothing on Friday 31st of August 2007 02:21:17 AM
Old 08-31-2007
Please get me started on my virtual server

I've been given access to a virtual server. I've worked out how to connect with it using SSH (in my unix terminal window). But I'm clueless about how to continue. The last time I made web services. I had a fancy web-based control panel. Now I just have the command line.

There are three things I need to know:-

1. What's the unix command to change my login password?

2. How do I transfer files into my account? (My log-in details said nothing about FTP, but I got an IP address, and I tried setting up FTP (in Dreamweaver) with my username and password - but that didn't work.) Is there a command line way to transfer files?

3. What's the command line to set up a MySQL database? In PHP, I want to do this:-

mysql_connect("localhost","databasename","databasepassword");

So I want to create the database with the databasename and databasepassword that I'll use in my code. (I don't need help with the programming side of things - just the command line stuff.)

Can anyone get me started? I know nothing.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Startup error: The X-server can not be started on display :0...

Earlier today SPARCBOOK 5000 was working, but was asked to upgrade an application on it. 1. uninstalled application 2. loaded latest solaris 8 recommended cluster (downloaded it yesterday). 3. reboot machine after patch update On reboot all looks OK upto the point it attempts to run... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: devonthomas384@
9 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Virtual Server Which One?

Hi, Imagine I'm using SSH or TELNET to connect to one of my clustered database servers. I log in using a virtual server name not knowing which one of my two database servers i will connect to. Now the question: If all I have is the virtual server name e.g. SSH DavoH@gb1234QVD011Px7 and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DavoH
1 Replies

3. Solaris

X-Server cannot be started on display 0

Iam using a Dell laptop..... i installed Solaris 10.... 'm getting a X-Server cannot be started on display 0 error. Can anyone help me in fixing ??? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarathnag25
2 Replies

4. Solaris

The X-Server can not be started on display :0

Hey Guys, I have just moved my machine to a new location and reconfigured my DNS and ip... and for an unknown reason I get this X-Server can not be started error on startup. This is what I got in my Xerrors log: It is possible to start a graphical session (X-Server) manually, ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: wasabihowdi
8 Replies

5. Solaris

X-Server can not be started on display 0

hi , I have install Oracle solaris 10 8/11 on intel core i5 server. But its not opening in graphic mode showing message X-Server can not be started on display ... (EE) Unable to locate/open config file Drivers to try are: "intel" "i810" "fbdev" "vesa" vga" (EE) failed to load module "dri"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zeeshan047
3 Replies

6. Red Hat

RHEL 4 Server con't Started....

Hi Friends, My Server is con't stated..it shows the below error.. Red hat exterprise Linux As Release 4(nahat) kernel 2.6.9-5.ELsmp on an i686 INIT : id "x" respawing too fast :disabled for 5 minutes... Please help help Thanks, Srinivas (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: srinivas814
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

CPU high - apache real server OK, virtual server not

Got two RHEL servers - one real and one virtual/cloud. Both run apache web server. When traffic is applied, CPU seems to go quite high on virtual one (20%) but real is not really affected. Worry is that a further increase in traffic will see a problem. Experience of RHEL is limited. Whats... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: psychocandy
2 Replies

8. Red Hat

What are Linux configuration changes required after a cloned VM Server is started?

Dear Expert Users, VMware Admin Tool is used to create a "clone" of an existing VM RHEL Server. Now, I have a Project where a cloned VM Server image is started for run . Please share what are all configuration changes required to ensure this runs fine ? I will be grateful for quick and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: schandrakar1
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

X-Server can not be started on display :0

Good Morning, I recently cloned a sunblade 2500 to another sunblade 2500 and had an issue getting the GUI: X-Server can not be started on display :0 The issue was that the first machine had an xvr600 graphics card, and the new machine had an xvr100. Installing a new driver took... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stellaman1977
0 Replies
ftpconfig(1M)						  System Administration Commands					     ftpconfig(1M)

NAME
ftpconfig - set up anonymous FTP SYNOPSIS
ftpconfig [ftpdir] ftpconfig -d ftpdir DESCRIPTION
The ftpconfig script is executed by the super user to set up anonymous FTP. Anonymous FTP allows users to remotely log on to the FTP server by specifying the user name ftp or anonymous and the user's email address as password. The anonymous users are logged on to the FTP Server and given access to a restricted file area with its own file system root. See chroot(2). The FTP area has its own minimal system files. This command will copy and set up all the components needed to operate an anonymous FTP server, including creating the ftp user account, creating device nodes, copying /usr/lib files, and copying timezone data. The passwd and group files set up have been stripped down to prevent malicious users from finding login names on the server. The anonymous file area will be placed under ftpdir. If the ftp user account already exists, then the current FTP area is used, and the system files in it are updated. All other files are left untouched. This command should be run to update the anonymous FTP area's configuration whenever a system patch is installed, or the system is upgraded. OPTIONS
-d Create a new or update an existing ftpdir without creating or updating the ftp user account. Use this option when creating guest FTP user accounts. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: ftpdir The absolute pathname of the directory under which the anonymous FTP area is set up. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion 1 Improper usage of the command 2 Command failed ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWftpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ftpaddhost(1M), in.ftpd(1M), useradd(1M), chroot(2), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 1 May 2003 ftpconfig(1M)