Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users how to make root user read all Post 302134403 by porter on Thursday 30th of August 2007 05:04:42 PM
Old 08-30-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankkahle
They are both talking to a NetApp FAS940 running OS 7.1
Are you talking about an NFS volume?

Normally root is mapped to nobody in an NFS mount, as root should only be trusted on your local machine.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

cant make dir as root

not sure what the problem is, when I go to /home and enter command mkdir i get this error mkdir chris mkdir: Failed to make directory "chris"; Operation not applicable im root.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: csaunders
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Other than root user .Normal user is unable to create files

Hi all, I am using Sun Solaris 9 .In this system normal users unable to create files from the command line.I added these users in bin,adm and even root group i found them unable to create a file. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mallesh
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

root user command in shell script execute as normal user

Hi All I have written one shell script for GPRS route add is given below named GPRSRouteSet.sh URL="www.google.com" VBURL="10.5.2.211" echo "Setting route for $URL for GPRS" URL_Address=`nslookup $URL|grep Address:|grep -v "#"|awk -F " " '{print $2}'|head -1` echo "Executing ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnmonu
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to allow access to some commands having root privleges to be run bu non root user

hi i am new to unix and i have abig task. i have to \run particular commands having root privileges from a non root user. i know sudo is one of the way but i need sum other approach kindly help Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: suryashikha
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sudo to delegate permission from non-root user to another non-root user

I've been through many threads before i decide to create a separate thread. I can't really find the solution to my (simple) problem. Here's what I'm trying to achieve: As "canar" user I want to run a command, let's say "/opt/ocaml/bin/ocaml" as "duck" user. The only to achieve this is to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: canar
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Login as another user through Shell script from current user[Not Root]

Hi Every body, I would need a shell script program to login as different user and perform some copy commands in the script. example: Supppose ora_toms is the active user ora_toms should be able to run a script where user: ftptomsp pass: XXX should login through and run the commands ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ujjwal27
9 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Root and non-root user not able to delete the file

Hi!! one strange problem occurred with my RHEL 5 box. i'm having logs folder with ownership of non-root user. Created some files with root user under logs folder. here is the scene: -rw-r----- 1 root root 1048227 Feb 28 12:34 SystemOut_13.02.28_12.34.10.log -rw-r----- 1 root root ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sukhdip
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to give root access to non root user?

Currently in my system Red Hat is installed. And Many user connect to my machine via SSH Techia Terminal. I want to give some users a root level access. Can anyone please help me how to make it possible. I too searched on the Google but didn't find the correct way Regards ADI (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: adisky123
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Switching from root to normal user takes me to user's home dir

Whenever i switch from root to another user, by doing su - user, it takes me to home directory of user. This is very annoying as i want to be in same dir to run different commands as root sometimes and sometimes as normal user. How to fix this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: syncmaster
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Pam.d and make difference between AD User and local user on Linux

Hello, i configured rhel linux 6 with AD directory to authorize windows users to connect on the system and it works. i have accounts with high privileges (oracle for example) if an account is created on the AD server i would to block him. I looked for how to do, for the moment all the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vincenzo
3 Replies
info(4) 						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							   info(4)

NAME
info - diskless client configuration information file DESCRIPTION
The file is a POSIX shell sourceable file which contains parameter definitions used at boot time. Typically, it will be an empty file and default values will be used for all parameters. Following is the list of parameters which can be defined in the file: Specifies the IP address of the client's private root server. If this is not specified, the client's private root server defaults to the boot server. Specifies the pathname to the client's private root on the private root server. If this is not specified, the client's private root path defaults to Specifies the NFS mount options to mount the client's private root from the private root server. If this is not specified, the mount options default to Specifies the NFS mount options to mount the client's directory from the boot server. If this is not specified, the mount options default to Specifies whether NFS should be configured as primary swap. (NOTE: In order to swap to NFS, a diskless kernel must be configured with tunable parameter set to 1.) If a diskless machine has a local swap disk and swap to NFS is not desired, the parameter should be set to the value of 1 and the diskless kernel should be configured without setting to 1. If this parameter is not specified in the file and the kernel tunable parameter is set to 1, then NFS will be configured as primary swap. If not set, this parameter defaults to a value of 1, and results in the removal of all swapfiles above the configured swap minimum (swap is specified in the client's when a disk- less client boots. This ensures that extraneous swapfiles at boot time are removed, thus freeing disk space. If is set to 0 in the file, removal of extra swapfiles is disabled. This may result in faster boot times due to the time savings in creating additional swap files. The file resides in the same directory as the client's kernel () on the boot server and is retrieved at boot time using command. By default, when a diskless client is created, an empty file is placed in the client's kernel directory. This ensures that all parameters revert to their default values (see above). If the file is not present, this is an error. EXAMPLES
An example file is shown below: FILES
info(4)