Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Edit a large file in place
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Edit a large file in place Post 302134396 by ilan on Thursday 30th of August 2007 04:23:06 PM
Old 08-30-2007
Here is the initial move on your requirement:
>>1. Generate some random numbers of a fixed length.

i=00000000
echo $RANDOM$i | cut -c 1-8

the above serves to generate random numbers for more than 50 million records;again not sure how frequently a number repeats!!

not clear about the second requirement. be specific please...

-ilan

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to edit large files using vi

How to edit large file using vi where you can't increase /usr/var/tmp anymore? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nazri
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help to edit a large file

I am trying to edit a file that has 33k+ records. In this file I need to edit each record that has a 'Y' in the 107th position and change the 10 fields before the 'Y' to blanks. Not all records have a 'Y' in the 107th field. ex: ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jxh461
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to edit large file in unix

hi All, Plz let me know how to edit a file with 2000000 records. each record contains with 40 field seperated by |. i want modify 455487 record, but i am uable to edit this large file using vi editor in unix. plz let me know how to modify this file. Thanks in advance. -Bali Reddy (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: balireddy_77
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scripting the process to edit a large file

Hi, I need to make a script to edit a file. File is a large file in below format Version: 2008120101 ;$INCLUDE ./abc/xyz/Delhi ;$INCLUDE ./abc/xyz/London $INCLUDE ./abc/xyz/New York First line in the file is version number which is in year,month,date and serial number format. Each... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: makkar4u
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed edit in place -i issues

Hello, I am attempting to create a command that I can eventually put into a loop so I can edit 1file on many servers. I would like to edit the file in place with sed -i. If not I will take any suggestions on how to use a temp file. I need to remove a email address from the configuration file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: abacus
4 Replies

6. Solaris

What is the best way to copy data from place to another place?

Dear Gurus, I need you to advice or suggestion about the best solution to copy data around 200-300G from serverA(location A) to serverB(location B). Normally, I will share folder and then copy but it takes too long time(about 2 days). Do you have any suggestion or which way should be... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: unitipon
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read from file specific place in file using inode

Hello, I am using tcsh on AIX. I would like to write a script that does the following: 1. given an inode, how do I find exactly the name of the file? I know I could do this using ls -i | grep <inode> but it returns: <inode> <filename>. I need some string manipulation or something to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lastZenMaster
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get awk to edit in place and join all lines in text file

Hi, I lack the utter fundamentals on how to craft an awk script. I have hundreds of text files that were mangled by .doc format so all the lines are broken up so I need to join all of the lines of text into a single line. Normally I use vim command "ggVGJ" to join all lines but with so many... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: n00ti
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to edit a large file

Whenever I am trying to edit a file in unix with vi editor, I am getting the following error: <data> :Tmp file too large Is there any way that I can edit the file other than vi. Any help is really appreciated. Thanks (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobby1015
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a file in all directories and place the file in that directory

Hi All, Daily I am getting the updated file. I have to search for this file in all directories and sub directories. If the file existed in a particular directory then move this updated file to that particular directory. If the file is not existed in any of the directories then place this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ROCK_PLSQL
4 Replies
Table(3)						User Contributed Perl Documentation						  Table(3)

NAME
Tk::Table - Scrollable 2 dimensional table of Tk widgets SYNOPSIS
use Tk::Table; $table = $parent->Table(-rows => number, -columns => number, -scrollbars => anchor, -fixedrows => number, -fixedcolumns => number, -takefocus => boolean); $widget = $table->Button(...); $old = $table->put($row,$col,$widget); $old = $table->put($row,$col,"Text"); # simple Label $widget = $table->get($row,$col); $cols = $table->totalColumns; $rows = $table->totalRows; $table->see($widget); $table->see($row,$col); ($row,$col) = $table->Posn($widget); DESCRIPTION
Tk::Table is an all-perl widget/geometry manager which allows a two dimensional table of arbitary perl/Tk widgets to be displayed. Entries in the Table are simply ordinary perl/Tk widgets. They should be created with the Table as their parent. Widgets are positioned in the table using: $table->put($row,$col,$widget) If $widget is not a reference it is treated as a string, and a Lable widget is created with the string as its text. All the widgets in each column are set to the same width - the requested width of the widest widget in the column. Likewise, all the widgets in each row are set to the same height - the requested height of the tallest widget in the column. A number of rows and/or columns can be marked as 'fixed' - and so can serve as 'headings' for the remainder the rows which are scrollable. The requested size of the table as a whole is such that the number of rows specified by -rows (default 10), and number of columns specified by -columns (default 10) can be displayed. If the Table is told it can take the keyboard focus then cursor and scroll keys scroll the displayed widgets. The Table will create and manage its own scrollbars if requested via -scrollbars. The table can be emptied using $table->clear the widgets which were in the table are destroyed. The Tk::Table widget is derived from a Tk::Frame, so inherits all its configure options. BUGS
/ Snags / Possible enhancements o Very large Tables consume a lot of X windows. o No equivalent of pack's -anchor/-pad etc. options SEE ALSO
Tk::grid, Tk::HList, Tk::TableMatrix, Tk::MListbox, Tk::Columns perl v5.12.1 2007-11-08 Table(3)