Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users passing value to a variable in a SQL Post 302134370 by kamitsin on Thursday 30th of August 2007 01:24:09 PM
Old 08-30-2007
passing value to a variable in a SQL

Hi Folks,

This is a small chunk of the bigger problem which i am facing and some help here will help me resolve the rest of the issue.

Problem is that i need to pass the value of a variable from a shell script to a SQL query (infact a lot of SQL's)

i have the following solution but somehow i don't like this solution because this will lead to some major changes (additional lines) in my already too big script.

Code:
echo "enter the date"
read today
echo "select * from informix.table" > abc.sql
echo "where t_date < $today - INTERVAL(5) MONTH TO MONTH" >>abc.sql

I hope am clear in describing the problem, if not please let me know.
A quick help will be very much appreciated.

Cheers,
K

Last edited by kamitsin; 08-30-2007 at 02:29 PM..
kamitsin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing PL/SQL variable value to Shell Varible

Hi my UNIX Friends, Im calling some SQL scripts through Unix Shell scripting. How do I export the value of PL/SQL variable value into a Unix shell script variable? Also could any one inform me about the 'search' and 'cut' utility of PL/SQL (like 'grep' and 'cut' in Shell scripting). ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganapati
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing argument to a pl/sql block

Hi, How can I pass an argument to a pl/sql block through perl/unix shell scripting. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: er_ashu
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing paramaters to a pl\sql precedure

I have this piece code in a shl, I need to pass paramaters to a PL\SQL PRECEDURE like $fseqno and faidy I know that the $fseqno works correctly but I am not sure aboyt the faidy can I code it like that faidy ='0910' ? Thank you for i in 3526*.dat do # Capture just the file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rechever
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing arguments to sql script

Hi Gurus, i have one requirement in unix script, i have a file called abc.txt in that few lines are there with the empid, i need to read each line and pass to .sql script. ex: abc.txt 2345 2346 1243 1234 i need to pass these arguments to .sql script rom unix ex: select * from... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Devendar
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Passing Hash variable in to sql query in perl

Hi Everyone, Can anyone help me how do i call hash variable in to sql query in perl. Please see the script below i have defined two Hash %lc and %tab as below $lc{'REFF'}='V_RES_CLASS'; $lc{'CALE'}='V_CAP_CLASS'; $lc{'XRPD'}='V_XFMR_CLASS'; $tab{'V_RES_CLASS'}='V_MFR_SERS';... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jam_prasanna
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing a string variable from Unix to Sql Plus

Hi Guys, I am trying to pass a string variable from Unix shell script to sqlplus as a parameter. I have tried using single quotes with the variable name but it does not work. Please help me with it. I am using BASH. My code: Your help is much appreciated. Thanks, shil (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: infintenumbers
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing variable to sql

How to pass variable to sql file. Im tryin in two ways, Method 1: my.sql select * from table where col1 = '$1' and col2 = 'text'; Method 1execute: dbaccess database my.sql $var Method2: select * from table col1 in (`cat inputfile`) and col2 = 'text'; method... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Roozo
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing variable from file to sql from script

Hi Friend, I have one file in which some number are mentioned and number of lines are vary every time And i need to pass that number to my sql command from script. Suppose i have file acc.txt 45456546456 45464564565 67854353454 67657612132 Number of records are vary every time.... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: pallvi_mahajan
20 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Storing multiple sql queries output into variable by running sql command only once

Hi All, I want to run multiple sql queries and store the data in variable but i want to use sql command only once. Is there a way without running sql command twice and storing.Please advise. Eg : Select 'Query 1 output' from dual; Select 'Query 2 output' from dual; I want to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rokkesh
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing sql file name as an argument

Hi all, I have a a file which contains an oracle query. If this file is pushed into a shell script such as the below, it of course works fine. #!/usr/bin/sh su - oracle -c 'sqlplus -s / as sysdba <<EOF @/home/cron/ORA/sql/T-ORA006-OracleSessions.sql exit; EOF . What i am after... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nms
2 Replies
SQLSRV_ERRORS(3)														  SQLSRV_ERRORS(3)

sqlsrv_errors - Returns error and warning information about the last SQLSRV operation performed

SYNOPSIS
mixed sqlsrv_errors ([int $errorsOrWarnings]) DESCRIPTION
Returns error and warning information about the last SQLSRV operation performed. PARAMETERS
o $errorsOrWarnings - Determines whether error information, warning information, or both are returned. If this parameter is not supplied, both error information and warning information are returned. The following are the supported values for this parameter: SQLSRV_ERR_ALL, SQL- SRV_ERR_ERRORS, SQLSRV_ERR_WARNINGS. RETURN VALUES
If errors and/or warnings occurred on the last sqlsrv operation, an array of arrays containing error information is returned. If no errors and/or warnings occurred on the last sqlsrv operation, NULL is returned. The following table describes the structure of the returned arrays: Array returned by sqlsrv_errors +---------+---------------------------------------------------+ | Key | | | | | | | Description | | | | +---------+---------------------------------------------------+ |SQLSTATE | | | | | | | For errors that originate from the ODBC driver, | | | the SQLSTATE returned by ODBC. For errors that | | | originate from the Microsoft Drivers for PHP for | | | SQL Server, a SQLSTATE of IMSSP. For warnings | | | that originate from the Microsoft Drivers for PHP | | | for SQL Server, a SQLSTATE of 01SSP. | | | | | code | | | | | | | For errors that originate from SQL Server, the | | | native SQL Server error code. For errors that | | | originate from the ODBC driver, the error code | | | returned by ODBC. For errors that originate from | | | the Microsoft Drivers for PHP for SQL Server, the | | | Microsoft Drivers for PHP for SQL Server error | | | code. | | | | |message | | | | | | | A description of the error. | | | | +---------+---------------------------------------------------+ EXAMPLES
Example #1 functionname(3) example <?php $serverName = "serverName/sqlexpress"; $connectionInfo = array( "Database"=>"dbName", "UID"=>"username", "PWD"=>"password"); $conn = sqlsrv_connect( $serverName, $connectionInfo); if( $conn === false ) { die( print_r( sqlsrv_errors(), true)); } /* Set up a query to select an invalid column name. */ $sql = "SELECT BadColumnName FROM Table_1"; /* Execution of the query will fail because of the bad column name. */ $stmt = sqlsrv_query( $conn, $sql ); if( $stmt === false ) { if( ($errors = sqlsrv_errors() ) != null) { foreach( $errors as $error ) { echo "SQLSTATE: ".$error[ 'SQLSTATE']."<br />"; echo "code: ".$error[ 'code']."<br />"; echo "message: ".$error[ 'message']."<br />"; } } } ?> NOTES
By default, warnings generated on a call to any SQLSRV function are treated as errors. This means that if a warning occurs on a call to a SQLSRV function, the function returns FALSE. However, warnings that correspond to SQLSTATE values 01000, 01001, 01003, and 01S02 are never treated as errors. For information about changing this behavior, see sqlsrv_configure(3) and the WarningsReturnAsErrors setting. SEE ALSO
sqlsrv_configure(3). PHP Documentation Group SQLSRV_ERRORS(3)