Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Searching contents of a file
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Searching contents of a file Post 302134280 by thepitzaboy on Thursday 30th of August 2007 06:22:04 AM
Old 08-30-2007
Searching contents of a file

Is there a way a command or a combination through which i can check the contents of a all files in a directory and get the return as the file names which contains the partiuclar string.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

searching and editing file contents

Can you please help me to edit parts of a file and write into a new file. ===================================== Suppose I have a huge data dump in a file I need to search for a tag in that and cut few lines around that tag in the file. Is there a way to keep track of line numbers and operate on... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: jayana
18 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

compare 2 file contents , if same delete 2nd file contents

Give shell script....which takes two file names as input and compares the contents, is both are same delete second file's contents..... I try with "diff"...... but confusion how to use "diff" with if ---else Thanking you (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishnampkkm
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with searching for a file in a directory and copying the contents of that file in a new file

Hi guys, I am a newbie here :wall: I need a script that can search for a file in a directory and copy the contents of that file in a new file. Please help me. :confused: Thanks in advance~ (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: zel2zel
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in searching a particular string in a file name (not inside the file contents)

Dear Unix Gurus, I am new to shell scripting and in the process of learing. I am trying to find whether a file name has today's date in MMDDYYYY format. I am using the following code and it doesn't seem like working. #!/usr/bin/ksh today=$(date '+%m%d%Y') echo today: $today file=`find... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shankar1dada
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

searching a file with a specified text without using conventional file searching commands

without using conventional file searching commands like find etc, is it possible to locate a file if i just know that the file that i'm searching for contains a particular text like "Hello world" or something? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arindamlive
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

I want to delete the contents of a file which are matching with contents of other file

Hi, I want to delete the contents of a file which are matching with contents of other file in shell scripting. Ex. file1 sheel,sumit,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 sumit,rana,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 grade,pass,2,3,4,5,6,232,1,1 name,sur,33,1,4,12,3,5,6,8 sheel,pass,2,3,4,5,6,232,1,1 File2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranasheel2000
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace partial contents of file with contents read from other file

Hi, I am facing issue while reading data from a file in UNIX. my requirement is to compare two files and for the text pattern matching in the 1st file, replace the contents in second file by the contents of first file from start to the end and write the contents to thrid file. i am able to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: seeki
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with the awk in searching the contents in a file

Hello all, I am a newbie in awk. I am struggling in this problem for a long.Actually I have two files, filea and fileb. File a is actually a search key through it I have to find the corresponding japanese tag from file b. filea contains the data like this: sm982882 sm1893548 sm2420025... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: csim_mohan
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Folder contents getting appended as strings while redirecting file contents to a variable

Hi one of the output of the command is as below # sed -n "/CCM-ResourceHealthCheck:/,/---------/{/CCM-ResourceHealthCheck:/d;/---------/d;p;}" Automation.OutputZ$zoneCounter | sed 's/$/<br>/' Resource List : <br> *************************** 1. row ***************************<br> ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching the pattern and accordingly changing the contents using shell

HI, I have File1 which contains :- admins = anand,satheesha,user1,user2,user3,user4,user5,user10,vishal nonadmins = read-only @admins = rw @nonadmins = r One shell script, using that I want to change the File1 as per user input (let's say $1) which have value as 'John', so now I want to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vishal Mishra
6 Replies
DEBC(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   DEBC(1)

NAME
       debc - view contents of a generated Debian package

SYNOPSIS
       debc [options] [changes file] [package ...]

DESCRIPTION
       debc  figures out the current version of a package and displays information about the .deb and .udeb files which have been generated in the
       current build process.  If a .changes file is specified on the command line, the filename must end with .changes, as this is how  the  pro-
       gram distinguishes it from package names.  If not, then debc has to be called from within the source code directory tree.  In this case, it
       will look for the .changes file corresponding to the current package  version  (by  determining	the  name  and	version  number  from  the
       changelog,  and the architecture in the same way as dpkg-buildpackage(1) does).	It then runs dpkg-deb -I and dpkg-deb -c on every .deb and
       .udeb archive listed in the .changes file to display information about the contents of the .deb / .udeb files.  It precedes every  .deb	or
       .udeb  file  with the name of the file.	It assumes that all of the .deb / .udeb archives live  in the same directory as the .changes file.
       It is useful for ensuring that the expected files have ended up in the Debian package.

If a list of packages is given on the command line, then only those debs or udebs with names in this list of packages will be processed.

Directory name checking
       In common with several other scripts in the devscripts package, debc will climb the directory tree until it finds a debian/changelog  file.
       As  a  safeguard  against  stray  files	causing  potential  problems,  it  will examine the name of the parent directory once it finds the
       debian/changelog file, and check that the directory name corresponds to the package name.  Precisely how it does this is controlled by  two
       configuration  file  variables  DEVSCRIPTS_CHECK_DIRNAME_LEVEL  and  DEVSCRIPTS_CHECK_DIRNAME_REGEX,  and  their corresponding command-line
       options --check-dirname-level and --check-dirname-regex.

DEVSCRIPTS_CHECK_DIRNAME_LEVEL can take the following values:

0      Never check the directory name.

1      Only check the directory name if we have had to change directory in our search for debian/changelog.  This is the default behaviour.

2      Always check the directory name.

The directory name is checked by testing whether the current directory name (as determined by pwd(1)) matches the regex given by  the  con-
       figuration  file  option  DEVSCRIPTS_CHECK_DIRNAME_REGEX  or  by the command line option --check-dirname-regex regex.  Here regex is a Perl
       regex (see perlre(3perl)), which will be anchored at the beginning and the end.	If regex contains a '/',  then	it  must  match  the  full
       directory  path.  If not, then it must match the full directory name.  If regex contains the string 'PACKAGE', this will be replaced by the
       source package name, as determined from the changelog.  The default value for the regex is: 'PACKAGE(-.+)?', thus matching directory  names
       such as PACKAGE and PACKAGE-version.

OPTIONS
       -adebian-architecture, -tGNU-system-type
	      See  dpkg-architecture(1)  for  a description of these options.  They affect the search for the .changes file.  They are provided to
	      mimic the behaviour of dpkg-buildpackage when determining the name of the .changes file.

--debs-dir directory
	      Look for the .changes, .deb and .udeb files in directory instead of the parent of the source directory.  This should  either  be	an
	      absolute path or relative to the top of the source directory.

--check-dirname-level N
	      See the above section Directory name checking for an explanation of this option.

--check-dirname-regex regex
	      See the above section Directory name checking for an explanation of this option.

--no-conf, --noconf
	      Do not read any configuration files.  This can only be used as the first option given on the command-line.

--help, --version
	      Show help message and version information respectively.

CONFIGURATION VARIABLES
       The  two configuration files /etc/devscripts.conf and ~/.devscripts are sourced in that order to set configuration variables.  Command line
       options can be used to override configuration file settings.  Environment variable settings are ignored for this  purpose.   The  currently
       recognised variables are:

DEBRELEASE_DEBS_DIR
	      This  specifies the directory in which to look for the .changes, .deb and .udeb files, and is either an absolute path or relative to
	      the top of the source tree.  This corresponds to the --debs-dir command line option.  This directive could be used, for example,	if
	      you  always use pbuilder or svn-buildpackage to build your packages.  Note that it also affects debrelease(1) in the same way, hence
	      the strange name of the option.

DEVSCRIPTS_CHECK_DIRNAME_LEVEL, DEVSCRIPTS_CHECK_DIRNAME_REGEX
	      See the above section Directory name checking for an explanation of these variables.  Note that these are package-wide configuration
	      variables,  and  will therefore affect all devscripts scripts which check their value, as described in their respective manpages and
	      in devscripts.conf(5).

SEE ALSO
       dpkg-deb(1), debdiff(1) and devscripts.conf(5).

AUTHOR
       Julian Gilbey <jdg@debian.org>, based on an original script by Christoph Lameter <clameter@debian.org>.

DEBIAN								 Debian Utilities							   DEBC(1)