Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: working in different prompts
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting working in different prompts Post 302134277 by gopsman on Thursday 30th of August 2007 06:12:44 AM
Old 08-30-2007
to nimish and vino

hi

my scenario is like this. i have telnetted to a machine. in that i have to run a process for which i have to change the prompt to say 'XYZ'. then in that prompt i have to stop a process by the command say, 'stop-process'. then i would quit that prompt by 'exit' command
I want a script to do this. the problem is the prompt is changed , but the command s not getting executed. my script luks like this.

#! /bin/csh -f
XYZ
sleep 15
stop-process
exit

how to do tht?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tough question - interactive prompts

I have inherited a script (ksh) - which requires an input file and location to be specified on the command line..... i.e runsc MRG_060601 ../input_files/ I am trying to tidy this up by using an env variable for the location (as it is always the same) - but it will still require the name of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: peter.herlihy
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsh help with remote prompts

Hi, I'm writing a shell script that rsh's onto a remote machine and runs a perl script that requires values to be entered as the script executes. I also need to ba able to see the outputs from the perl script. When I try to run it I get an stty : Invalid argument and understand that this is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ianf
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

scripting password prompts

Hi there Probably a really simple question but I am writing an install script and at certain stages of the install (ie creating a table in mysql) the system prompts for you to enter a password, I was wondering, how do I script this input so that the install doesnt keep stopping for manual... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

password prompts

I would like to log all the commands that are entered on an ssh client. I can do this successfully, however, I dont want to log user logins and passwords. Is there any way to identify passwords and avoid them? For example, I can look for a string 'password:' and ignore everything until a nl/cr. Is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: balag
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script answer prompts?

Hi, I'm writing a script that calls a function to generate a certificate. In generating this certificate, I'm asked a series of questions. I was wondering, is there a way to pre-program my script to answer these questions in the same way all the time. I saw something like EOF>> y EOF ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: eltinator
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell Program that prompts for user Id

Hi I have a question that after trying tirelessly I cant solve. I'm not great wth UNIX and wonder if anyone could help. I have to create a shell program using functions that prompts for a user ID. I must then verify that the user Id corresponds to an account on the system. If a legal user Id is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mmg2711
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Program that prompts for user Id

Hi I have a question that after trying tirelessly I cant solve. I'm not great wth UNIX and wonder if anyone could help. I have to create a shell program using functions that prompts for a user ID. I must then verify that the user Id corresponds to an account on the system. If a legal user Id is... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: mmg2711
16 Replies

8. AIX

Deleting a file prompts for a Yes or No

Hi.. I have been asked to delete files in a certain directory in our AIX server, but the problem is, there are over 1000 files to delete. I am prompted by a yes (y) or a no (n) each time and i don't wanna type in a 'y' a thousand times.. :-( Is there a command that i can use to make things faster?... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chipahoys
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect scripting not seeing the screen prompts.

Someone recommended using an expect script for an issue I was having so I tried writing one but of the 3 expected prompts on the screen, it only see responds to the first one. The code is: ==================================== #!/usr/local/bin/expect -f spawn /usr/local/bin/rcs -u1.1 xyz.fmb... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pjones006
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Provide 2 inputs when prompts

Hi All, I am a novice to UNIX, i need to know is there a way to provide 2 inputs when the shell prompts and i need to assign those 2 values to 2 separate variables. I dont want to give those values as a arguments (while running the script). Thanks in advance!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prasanna2166
1 Replies
LUA(1)							      General Commands Manual							    LUA(1)

NAME
lua - Lua interpreter SYNOPSIS
lua [ options ] [ script [ args ] ] DESCRIPTION
lua is the stand-alone Lua interpreter. It loads and executes Lua programs, either in textual source form or in precompiled binary form. (Precompiled binaries are output by luac, the Lua compiler.) lua can be used as a batch interpreter and also interactively. The given options (see below) are executed and then the Lua program in file script is loaded and executed. The given args are available to script as strings in a global table named arg. If these arguments contain spaces or other characters special to the shell, then they should be quoted (but note that the quotes will be removed by the shell). The arguments in arg start at 0, which contains the string 'script'. The index of the last argument is stored in arg.n. The arguments given in the command line before script, including the name of the interpreter, are available in negative indices in arg. At the very start, before even handling the command line, lua executes the contents of the environment variable LUA_INIT, if it is defined. If the value of LUA_INIT is of the form '@filename', then filename is executed. Otherwise, the string is assumed to be a Lua statement and is executed. Options start with '-' and are described below. You can use '--' to signal the end of options. If no arguments are given, then -v -i is assumed when the standard input is a terminal; otherwise, - is assumed. In interactive mode, lua prompts the user, reads lines from the standard input, and executes them as they are read. If a line does not contain a complete statement, then a secondary prompt is displayed and lines are read until a complete statement is formed or a syntax error is found. So, one way to interrupt the reading of an incomplete statement is to force a syntax error: adding a ';' in the middle of a statement is a sure way of forcing a syntax error (except inside multiline strings and comments; these must be closed explicitly). If a line starts with '=', then lua displays the values of all the expressions in the remainder of the line. The expressions must be separated by commas. The primary prompt is the value of the global variable _PROMPT, if this value is a string; otherwise, the default prompt is used. Similarly, the secondary prompt is the value of the global variable _PROMPT2. So, to change the prompts, set the corresponding variable to a string of your choice. You can do that after calling the interpreter or on the command line (but in this case you have to be careful with quotes if the prompt string contains a space; otherwise you may confuse the shell.) The default prompts are "> " and ">> ". OPTIONS
- load and execute the standard input as a file, that is, not interactively, even when the standard input is a terminal. -e stat execute statement stat. You need to quote stat if it contains spaces, quotes, or other characters special to the shell. -i enter interactive mode after script is executed. -l name call require('name') before executing script. Typically used to load libraries. -v show version information. SEE ALSO
luac(1) http://www.lua.org/ DIAGNOSTICS
Error messages should be self explanatory. AUTHORS
R. Ierusalimschy, L. H. de Figueiredo, and W. Celes $Date: 2010/10/31 11:16:49 $ LUA(1)