Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: working in different prompts
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting working in different prompts Post 302134273 by namishtiwari on Thursday 30th of August 2007 05:57:29 AM
Old 08-30-2007
Which flavour of unix you are using.
for solaris if you want to change your prompt
echo $PS1 will tell you the prompt.
you neet to type
PS1=#
or
PS1=@

or
PS1="`hostname`{`logname`}"
whatever you want.Then execute the coomads whichever you want.

then press ^d you will be taken out of that shell.
you will again prompt to the original shell.

Thanks
Namish

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tough question - interactive prompts

I have inherited a script (ksh) - which requires an input file and location to be specified on the command line..... i.e runsc MRG_060601 ../input_files/ I am trying to tidy this up by using an env variable for the location (as it is always the same) - but it will still require the name of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: peter.herlihy
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsh help with remote prompts

Hi, I'm writing a shell script that rsh's onto a remote machine and runs a perl script that requires values to be entered as the script executes. I also need to ba able to see the outputs from the perl script. When I try to run it I get an stty : Invalid argument and understand that this is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ianf
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

scripting password prompts

Hi there Probably a really simple question but I am writing an install script and at certain stages of the install (ie creating a table in mysql) the system prompts for you to enter a password, I was wondering, how do I script this input so that the install doesnt keep stopping for manual... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

password prompts

I would like to log all the commands that are entered on an ssh client. I can do this successfully, however, I dont want to log user logins and passwords. Is there any way to identify passwords and avoid them? For example, I can look for a string 'password:' and ignore everything until a nl/cr. Is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: balag
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script answer prompts?

Hi, I'm writing a script that calls a function to generate a certificate. In generating this certificate, I'm asked a series of questions. I was wondering, is there a way to pre-program my script to answer these questions in the same way all the time. I saw something like EOF>> y EOF ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: eltinator
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell Program that prompts for user Id

Hi I have a question that after trying tirelessly I cant solve. I'm not great wth UNIX and wonder if anyone could help. I have to create a shell program using functions that prompts for a user ID. I must then verify that the user Id corresponds to an account on the system. If a legal user Id is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mmg2711
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Program that prompts for user Id

Hi I have a question that after trying tirelessly I cant solve. I'm not great wth UNIX and wonder if anyone could help. I have to create a shell program using functions that prompts for a user ID. I must then verify that the user Id corresponds to an account on the system. If a legal user Id is... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: mmg2711
16 Replies

8. AIX

Deleting a file prompts for a Yes or No

Hi.. I have been asked to delete files in a certain directory in our AIX server, but the problem is, there are over 1000 files to delete. I am prompted by a yes (y) or a no (n) each time and i don't wanna type in a 'y' a thousand times.. :-( Is there a command that i can use to make things faster?... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chipahoys
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect scripting not seeing the screen prompts.

Someone recommended using an expect script for an issue I was having so I tried writing one but of the 3 expected prompts on the screen, it only see responds to the first one. The code is: ==================================== #!/usr/local/bin/expect -f spawn /usr/local/bin/rcs -u1.1 xyz.fmb... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pjones006
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Provide 2 inputs when prompts

Hi All, I am a novice to UNIX, i need to know is there a way to provide 2 inputs when the shell prompts and i need to assign those 2 values to 2 separate variables. I dont want to give those values as a arguments (while running the script). Thanks in advance!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prasanna2166
1 Replies
SECURENET(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      SECURENET(8)

NAME
securenet - Digital Pathways SecureNet Key remote authentication box DESCRIPTION
The SecureNet box is used to authenticate connections to Plan 9 from a foreign system such as a Unix machine or plain terminal. The box, which looks like a calculator, performs DES encryption with a key held in its memory. Another copy of the key is kept on the authentica- tion server. Each box is protected from unauthorized use by a four digit PIN. When the system requires SecureNet authentication, it prompts with a numerical challenge. The response is compared to one generated with the key stored on the authentication server. Respond as follows: Turn on the box and enter your PIN at the EP prompt, followed by the ENT button. Enter the challenge at Ed prompt, again followed ENT. Then type to Plan 9 the response generated by the box. If you make a mistake at any time, reset the box by pressing ON. The authentica- tion server compares the response generated by the box to one computed internally. If they match, the user is accepted. The box will lose its memory if given the wrong PIN five times in succession or if its batteries are removed. To reprogram it, type a 4 at the E0 prompt. At the E1 prompt, enter your key, which consists of eight three-digit octal numbers. While you are entering these digits, the box displays a number ranging from 1 to 8 on the left side of the display. This number corresponds to the octal number you are entering, and changes when you enter the first digit of the next number. When you are done entering your key, press ENT twice. At the E2 prompt, enter a PIN for the box. After you confirm by retyping the PIN at the E3 prompt, you can use the box as normal. You can change the PIN using the following procedure. First, turn on the box and enter your current PIN at the EP prompt. Press ENT three times; this will return you to the EP prompt. Enter your PIN again, followed by ENT; you should see a Ed prompt with a - on the right side of the display. Enter a 0 and press ENT. You should see the E2 prompt; follow the instructions above for entering a PIN. The SecureNet box performs the same encryption as the netcrypt routine (see encrypt(2)). The entered challenge, a decimal number between 0 and 100000, is treated as a text string with trailing binary zero fill to 8 bytes. These 8 bytes are encrypted with the DES algorithm. The first four bytes are printed on the display as hexadecimal numbers. However, when set up as described, the box does not print hexadec- imal digits greater than 9. Instead, it prints a 2 for an A, B, or C, and a 3 for a D, E, or F. If a 5 rather than a 4 is entered at the E0 print, the hexadecimal digits are printed. This is not recommended, as letters are too easily confused with digits on the SecureNet display. SEE ALSO
encrypt(2), auth(2) Digital Pathways, Mountain View, California BUGS
The box is too clumsy. If carried in a pocket, it can turn itself on and wear out the batteries. SECURENET(8)