Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to exit a while true loop Post 302133760 by ilan on Saturday 25th of August 2007 09:39:03 AM
Old 08-25-2007
#you can use break to quit the loop.
#you can quit the script itself by using exit once you reach the condition to quit the whole!!

If you want to run it for particular time in seconds... here we go
#!/bin/sh
secs=$1
start=`date +%s`
end=$((start+$secs))
while : ; do
if [ `date +%s`-eq $end ]; then
break
fi
. here goes your monitoring logic
done
#here you can write the rest of the script or simply put exit 0

---------now you can run the script passing the arguement as no. of secs you want ti to run!!

-ilan

Last edited by ilan; 08-25-2007 at 10:52 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

while loop exit

i wrote a while script as part of a huge program. this script, once picked, begins to output data to the person using it. pretty easy, as the person doesn't have to keep typing commands to get the output that the while loop automatically throws out. now, the thing is, while this while-script... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Terrible
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Method to exit a for loop

Hi All, Can someone let me know how i can exit a for loop without exiting the script itself .... will the break statement work .... please help .... -Regards (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rohini Vijay
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

why isn't the exit status true?

the code: do } ] || mkdir -p ${mk_backup_dir} && echo "ERROR: release backup directory creation failed -${mk_backup_dir}" && exit done echo "INFO: Backup directories created" the result: mkdir: "/cm/uat_releases/riab/uat/2345": Permission denied ERROR: release backup directory... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjays
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash: Exiting while true loop when terminal is not the focus window

I am running an Ubuntu Gutsy laptop with Advanced Compiz fusion options enabled. I am using xdotool to simulate keyboard input in order to rotate through multiple desktops. I am looking for a way to kill a while true loop when the Enter key (or Control+C if it is easier) is pushed when the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: acclaypool
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

loop until true

Hi I need help with a script to loop unitl the statement is true done some thing like this until if then cp filename filename.anto fi done Regards, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: antointoronto
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exit from loop

hi, how to exit from "if" loop?actually i have mutliple "if" conditions, i have to exit from each "if" loop,if it is true...:confused: Please suggest me... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreelu
3 Replies

7. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

For loop exit

Below for loop not exiting. Can someone help? JBOSS_INST_ARGS=01 02 if ; then for i in $JBOSS_INST_ARGS; do /u/jboss-6.1.0.Final/bin/jboss_init_wise$i.sh start; done (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: vino_hymi
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

While loop true problem

hi, i am new in bash scripting. i am trying to write a Bash script to monitor how many process are running in my Redhat6 Linux machine. example : let say there must be always 5 process from the same kind that must run and if one off them fails down the script must wake up another process... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zigizag
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Using exit in For Loop - Is this acceptable

Hi Folks - Here is a for loop I've created and I just wanted to see if this was okay practice: for M in NAME1 NAME1 NAME3 do echo "Executing MaxL:" $M >>${_LOGFILE} 2>&1 . ${_STARTMAXLPATH}startmaxl.sh ${_MAINPATH}${_MAXLPATH}$M.mxl _RC=$? if then ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: SIMMS7400
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

While true loop stopped

Hello Team, In my shell script, it stopped without killing it. Could you please help why ? Below is the code : get_dpi44_currentFiles() { truncate --size 0 $dpi_44_fixed_currentFileList if ssh $dpi_srvr_44 -p 2222 "ls $dpi_44_sourceFilesDir/fixed | grep '\.tgz$'" >... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sadique.manzar
5 Replies
break(1)                                                           User Commands                                                          break(1)

NAME
break, continue - shell built-in functions to escape from or advance within a controlling while, for, foreach, or until loop SYNOPSIS
sh break [n] continue [n] csh break continue ksh *break [n] *continue [n] DESCRIPTION
sh The break utility exits from the enclosing for or while loop, if any. If n is specified, break n levels. The continue utility resumes the next iteration of the enclosing for or while loop. If n is specified, resume at the n-th enclosing loop. csh The break utility resumes execution after the end of the nearest enclosing foreach or while loop. The remaining commands on the current line are executed. This allows multilevel breaks to be written as a list of break commands, all on one line. The continue utility continues execution of the next iteration of the nearest enclosing while or foreach loop. ksh The break utility exits from the enclosed for, while, until, or select loop, if any. If n is specified, then break n levels. If n is greater than the number of enclosing loops, the outermost enclosing loop shall be exited. The continue utility resumes the next iteration of the enclosed for, while, until, or select loop. If n is specified then resume at the n- th enclosed loop. If n is greater than the number of enclosing loops, the outermost enclosing loop shall be used. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words that follow a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign, and also that word splitting and file name genera- tion are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), exit(1), ksh(1), sh( 1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 17 Jul 2002 break(1)