Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to exit a while true loop Post 302133757 by Perderabo on Saturday 25th of August 2007 08:25:43 AM
Old 08-25-2007
Code:
#! /usr/local/bin/bash
count=0
while : ; do
        echo count = $count
        ((count=count+1))
        read -t 10 && break
done
echo exited while loop
exit 0

This uses the -t option to the read command in bash. The "count" is just to have something that changes to display with each iteration. If the user presses return within 10 seconds, the read succeeds, otherwise it fails. (If it succeeds, we just discard the data that was read since no variable is used with the read.) -t works with bash, but most versions of ksh do not have it.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

while loop exit

i wrote a while script as part of a huge program. this script, once picked, begins to output data to the person using it. pretty easy, as the person doesn't have to keep typing commands to get the output that the while loop automatically throws out. now, the thing is, while this while-script... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Terrible
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Method to exit a for loop

Hi All, Can someone let me know how i can exit a for loop without exiting the script itself .... will the break statement work .... please help .... -Regards (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rohini Vijay
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

why isn't the exit status true?

the code: do } ] || mkdir -p ${mk_backup_dir} && echo "ERROR: release backup directory creation failed -${mk_backup_dir}" && exit done echo "INFO: Backup directories created" the result: mkdir: "/cm/uat_releases/riab/uat/2345": Permission denied ERROR: release backup directory... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjays
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash: Exiting while true loop when terminal is not the focus window

I am running an Ubuntu Gutsy laptop with Advanced Compiz fusion options enabled. I am using xdotool to simulate keyboard input in order to rotate through multiple desktops. I am looking for a way to kill a while true loop when the Enter key (or Control+C if it is easier) is pushed when the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: acclaypool
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

loop until true

Hi I need help with a script to loop unitl the statement is true done some thing like this until if then cp filename filename.anto fi done Regards, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: antointoronto
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exit from loop

hi, how to exit from "if" loop?actually i have mutliple "if" conditions, i have to exit from each "if" loop,if it is true...:confused: Please suggest me... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreelu
3 Replies

7. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

For loop exit

Below for loop not exiting. Can someone help? JBOSS_INST_ARGS=01 02 if ; then for i in $JBOSS_INST_ARGS; do /u/jboss-6.1.0.Final/bin/jboss_init_wise$i.sh start; done (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: vino_hymi
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

While loop true problem

hi, i am new in bash scripting. i am trying to write a Bash script to monitor how many process are running in my Redhat6 Linux machine. example : let say there must be always 5 process from the same kind that must run and if one off them fails down the script must wake up another process... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zigizag
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Using exit in For Loop - Is this acceptable

Hi Folks - Here is a for loop I've created and I just wanted to see if this was okay practice: for M in NAME1 NAME1 NAME3 do echo "Executing MaxL:" $M >>${_LOGFILE} 2>&1 . ${_STARTMAXLPATH}startmaxl.sh ${_MAINPATH}${_MAXLPATH}$M.mxl _RC=$? if then ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: SIMMS7400
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

While true loop stopped

Hello Team, In my shell script, it stopped without killing it. Could you please help why ? Below is the code : get_dpi44_currentFiles() { truncate --size 0 $dpi_44_fixed_currentFileList if ssh $dpi_srvr_44 -p 2222 "ls $dpi_44_sourceFilesDir/fixed | grep '\.tgz$'" >... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sadique.manzar
5 Replies
TRUE(1P)						     POSIX Programmer's Manual							  TRUE(1P)

PROLOG
This manual page is part of the POSIX Programmer's Manual. The Linux implementation of this interface may differ (consult the correspond- ing Linux manual page for details of Linux behavior), or the interface may not be implemented on Linux. NAME
true - return true value SYNOPSIS
true DESCRIPTION
The true utility shall return with exit code zero. OPTIONS
None. OPERANDS
None. STDIN
Not used. INPUT FILES
None. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
None. ASYNCHRONOUS EVENTS
Default. STDOUT
Not used. STDERR
Not used. OUTPUT FILES
None. EXTENDED DESCRIPTION
None. EXIT STATUS
Zero. CONSEQUENCES OF ERRORS
None. The following sections are informative. APPLICATION USAGE
This utility is typically used in shell scripts, as shown in the EXAMPLES section. The special built-in utility : is sometimes more effi- cient than true. EXAMPLES
This command is executed forever: while true do command done RATIONALE
The true utility has been retained in this volume of IEEE Std 1003.1-2001, even though the shell special built-in : provides similar func- tionality, because true is widely used in historical scripts and is less cryptic to novice script readers. FUTURE DIRECTIONS
None. SEE ALSO
false, Shell Commands COPYRIGHT
Portions of this text are reprinted and reproduced in electronic form from IEEE Std 1003.1, 2003 Edition, Standard for Information Technol- ogy -- Portable Operating System Interface (POSIX), The Open Group Base Specifications Issue 6, Copyright (C) 2001-2003 by the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc and The Open Group. In the event of any discrepancy between this version and the original IEEE and The Open Group Standard, the original IEEE and The Open Group Standard is the referee document. The original Standard can be obtained online at http://www.opengroup.org/unix/online.html . IEEE
/The Open Group 2003 TRUE(1P)