Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: perl not reading my variable
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting perl not reading my variable Post 302133679 by jim mcnamara on Friday 24th of August 2007 04:37:10 PM
Old 08-24-2007
I'm not sure what you are trying to do, things seem out of place - but
Code:
perl -pi -e "s/sacuser1/$IAM/ if m/$var/" $README

Change the single quotes to double quotes.
Plus ~ is translated to $HOME - try that instead of the MYHOME thing.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Urgent-reading a variable value

Hi, I have a text file in which , I have contents like t1=abc t2=xyz t3=awe ...... I am able to read contents of these variables in a script by . /temp.txt echo $t1 Now, what my requirement is something like this a="t" i=1 echo $a$i --->this is displaying t1 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaaakrishna
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading ~/.bashrc variable

1) I've added a variable called IMPORT_HOME to my ~/.bashrc file: IMPORT_HOME=/import:$IMPORT_HOME 2) I sourced the bashrc file: source ~/.bashrc 3) In my bash script, i tried to echo out the IMPORT_HOME variable but it doesnt print out '/import/, only whitespace: #!/bin/bash echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nuGz
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

reading more than one variable into a for loop

Hi, I have a file (details.txt) with 3 rows of variables ie... name postcode age john D fr25dd 25 mark W ab122aa 22 phil C cd343bb 33 What I want to do is read down the list with a loop and add each field into a one line piece of text... So I have a file (test1) which reads;... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: starsky
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading variable from file variable values

Hi, Here is the output of lpstat. I would like to read value of Queue which is(abxxxxb1)and status that is DOWN in first line. i dont care what is in second line. any one can help me.thanks Queue Dev Status Job Files User PP % Blks Cp Rnk ------- ----- ---------... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sagii
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reading a variable from file

Hi, I have a situation where I need to read a variable from another file. But the problem is that the variable in the other file is starting with $. E.g. file1: $var1=out temp_ss.sh: . file1 echo "Print : $var1" It works fine if the file1 is having var1=out (note that it is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shash
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading variable value from a file

Hello, I need to read a variable value from script. Below is the scenario I am reading a value from an external file say a.txt a.txt: Jan Feb Mar I need the corresponding value of the months in in numerics such as Jan -->1, Feb-->2 etc. I have this mapping in another file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aixjadoo
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading a variable in csh

I have a simple script that sets a value and reads the value in csh: set -x set a = 10 echo $a The output of the script does not show the value of a + set a = 10 + echo any help would be great. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pt14
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl :: reading values from Data Dumper reference in Perl

Hi all, I have written a perl code and stored the data into Data structure using Data::Dumper module. But not sure how to retreive the data from the Data::Dumper. Eg. Based on the key value( Here CRYPTO-6-IKMP_MODE_FAILURE I should be able to access the internal hash elements(keys) ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scriptscript
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error while reading variable from a file in perl script

I have a file abc.ini and declared many variables in that file, one of the variable(DBname) value I am trying to read in my perl script but getting error. File abc.ini content # database name DBname =UATBOX my $ex_stat; my $cmd_output; $ex_stat = "\Qawk '/^DBname/{print... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Devesh5683
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl : reading data from dumper variable

Hi team, # PERL I have Dumper variable in perl and containing the below data and trying to fetch value and name from the reference variable. $VAR1 = { 'retainSysIds' => 'true', 'variables' => , 'name' => , ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: giridhar276
4 Replies
Perl::Critic::Policy::ValuesAndExpressions::ProhibitInteUseraContrPerl::Critic::Policy::ValuesAndExpressions::ProhibitInterpolationOfLiterals(3pm)

NAME
Perl::Critic::Policy::ValuesAndExpressions::ProhibitInterpolationOfLiterals - Always use single quotes for literal strings. AFFILIATION
This Policy is part of the core Perl::Critic distribution. DESCRIPTION
Don't use double-quotes or "qq//" if your string doesn't require interpolation. This saves the interpreter a bit of work and it lets the reader know that you really did intend the string to be literal. print "foobar"; #not ok print 'foobar'; #ok print qq/foobar/; #not ok print q/foobar/; #ok print "$foobar"; #ok print "foobar "; #ok print qq/$foobar/; #ok print qq/foobar /; #ok print qq{$foobar}; #preferred print qq{foobar }; #preferred Use of double-quotes might be reasonable if the string contains single quote (') characters: print "it's me"; # ok, if configuration flag set CONFIGURATION
The types of quoting styles to exempt from this policy can be configured via the "allow" option. This must be a whitespace-delimited combination of some or all of the following styles: "qq{}", "qq()", "qq[]", and "qq//". This is useful because some folks have configured their editor to apply special syntax highlighting within certain styles of quotes. For example, you can tweak "vim" to use SQL highlighting for everything that appears within "qq{}" or "qq[]" quotes. But if those strings are literal, Perl::Critic will complain. To prevent this, put the following in your .perlcriticrc file: [ValuesAndExpressions::ProhibitInterpolationOfLiterals] allow = qq{} qq[] The flag "allow_if_string_contains_single_quote" permits double-quoted strings if the string contains a single quote (') character. It defaults to off; to turn it on put the following in your .perlcriticrc file: [ValuesAndExpressions::ProhibitInterpolationOfLiterals] allow_if_string_contains_single_quote = 1 SEE ALSO
Perl::Critic::Policy::ValuesAndExpressions::RequireInterpolationOfMetachars AUTHOR
Jeffrey Ryan Thalhammer <jeff@imaginative-software.com> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2005-2011 Imaginative Software Systems. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The full text of this license can be found in the LICENSE file included with this module. perl v5.14.2 Perl::Critic::Policy::ValuesAndExpressions::ProhibitInterpolationOfLiterals(3pm)