Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Arguments
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Arguments Post 302133640 by Unbeliever on Friday 24th of August 2007 10:50:20 AM
Old 08-24-2007
Code:
#!/bin/sh

DATA=$1
FILE=$2

sed -e "1i $DATA" $FILE > $FILE.new

The file ending .new should have the correct data in it.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

[: too many arguments

Hi Guys I have this small Bash script - but it fails when I'm trying to run it. ./test.sh: && ; then # date >> /writable/sys/shutdown.log shutdown -h "now" exit fi done (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tainted2real
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Too many arguments?

I can't find anything wrong with this line of code, it works when there is one file in the directory but more than one i get a "too many arguements2 error if ; then am i missing something? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alendrin
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

too many arguments?

i don't know what's wrong with the code, says too many arguments in the first two if statements. how to change it? thx. the file is like in this format: ;dfs;dfdsf;fsd ff dsf;dfdffdfd; -f2 should be only one word with no space, but could be like this 'n/a', '**ABC' while read line; do ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dtdt
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

hi I am getting too many arguments error for the below line if ; then Thx in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vls1210
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Too many arguments

echo "the number from 1 to 10:" i=1 while do echo $i i=`expr $i+1' done above is the program i written in Linux O.S using vi editor but i am getting the error that while: line 3: i am not understanding that why i am getting this error. can any body please help me regarding this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bsatishbabu
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep with two arguments to arguments to surch for

Hello, is it possible to give grep two documents to surche for? like grep "test" /home/one.txt AND /home/two.txt ? thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Cybertron
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

: [: too many arguments in for -f in if

Hi Experts , I have following code if ; then mv path /filename newdirpath echo "K* files moved successfully to newdirpath \n" else echo "K* files DID NOT moved successfully to newdirpath \n" fi I am getting "echo "K* files DID NOT moved successfully to newdirpath \n"... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajaypatil_am
19 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using arguments

I have a SNMP agent that sends three arguments to the script to get a value at the end. The first is the LeafNumber, second is the request type (SET, GET, GETNEXT), and the last is a string that represents some value to be set(used only for set requests). The agent string looks like this: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jsoper1
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Too many arguments

hi I have this code a="a b c" set -- $a if ; then echo empty fi why is it line 3 reports "test: [: too many arguments"? :wall: Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: h0ujun
4 Replies

10. Ubuntu

line 5: #!/bin/bash old=$(du -sh /home/andy/Downloads/myfile.iso) while true; do new=$(du -sh /home/andy/Downloads/myfile.iso) if ; then break fi old=$new xdotool getactivewindow key Ctrl sleep 5 done line 5: bash - Meaning of " (square brackets)... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: drew77
9 Replies
APPLE_DUMP(1)							   Netatalk 2.2 						     APPLE_DUMP(1)

NAME
apple_dump - Dump AppleSingle/AppleDouble format file SYNOPSIS
apple_dump [-a] FILE | DIR apple_dump -f FILE apple_dump -d FILE apple_dump -h | -help | --help apple_dump -v | -version | --version DESCRIPTION
apple_dump dump AppleSingle/AppleDouble format file. OPTIONS
-a FILE|DIR This is default. Dump a AppleSingle/AppleDouble file for FILE or DIR automatically. Extrapolate FinderInfo type from absolute path. If FILE is not AppleSingle/AppleDouble format, look for .AppleDouble/FILE and ._FILE. If DIR, look for DIR/.AppleDouble/.Parent and ._DIR. -f FILE Dump FILE. Assume FinderInfo to be FileInfo. -d FILE Dump FILE. Assume FinderInfo to be DirInfo. -h, -help, --help Display the help and exit -v, -version, --version Show version and exit NOTE
There is no way to detect whether FinderInfo is FileInfo or DirInfo. By default, apple_dump examins whether file or directory, a parent directory is .AppleDouble, filename is ._*, filename is .Parent, and so on. If setting option -f or -d, assume FinderInfo and doesn't look for another file. SEE ALSO
ad(1) Netatalk 2.2 02 Sep 2011 APPLE_DUMP(1)