Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX sar output gives 98% idle CPU Post 302133608 by jim mcnamara on Friday 24th of August 2007 07:16:15 AM
Old 08-24-2007
Did you install or upgrade software 4 weks ago?
Did you push a major change to your proprietary sfotware?

Can you tell what processes are eating the system? (craig's post) I don't think one process is doing that unless it is high priority - like realtime.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

CPU idle

hi when should we consider that CPU is loaded? When it is 100% idle or 0%idle?? tx (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
4 Replies

2. Debian

Debian: doubt in "top" %CPU and "sar" output

Hi All, I am running my application on a dual cpu debian linux 3.0 (2.4.19 kernel). For my application: <sar -U ALL> CPU %user %nice %system %idle ... 10:58:04 0 153.10 0.00 38.76 0.00 10:58:04 1 3.88 0.00 4.26 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaduks
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

CPU utilization: sar vs ps

Any reason why the "sum of all" average cpu utilization numbers collected from ps during any given time sample are "consistently" lower than the corresponding numbers reported by sar (%usr, %sys). We have a Solaris O/S 2.8. We have been trying to correlate the CPU numbers from the sar, to the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sevpert
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

CPU 0% idle - how do I find what was running?

Hi, I checking yesterday's SAR logs for one of our servers and it was showing that utilisation was down to 0% for 10 minutes at 2am. We're unaware of any jobs running at this time so need to find out which process caused this spike. Is there anything built into SAR (or does anything else exist)... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: dlam
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get the information about cpu idle from top command?

I am using Ubuntu 9.04. I want to write a shell script to get the information about cpu idle from top command at the real time when i call it, compare cpu idle with 20 (20%), if cpu idle > 20 exit 1, vice versa exit 0. Anybody can help me to resolve it ? Thanks alot. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: huyquocnguyen
7 Replies

6. Solaris

top is showing 0% cpu Idle

What should we do if we show a 0% cpu idl on top? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pouchie1
5 Replies

7. Solaris

Why CPU idle 0 process nohub lose

Hello Solaris 8 when CPU idle 0 . why nohub process lose ? Thank (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ppmanja
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

idle% cpu and run queue

Hi Everybody, Can anybody explain how CPU idle% is about 50%, but runq-sz more than 1? sar from Solaris 10: 00:00:05 %usr %sys %wio %idle 17:00:08 27 12 0 61 17:20:05 40 15 0 45 17:40:05 27 12 0 61 18:00:05 23... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sant
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Idle Process Exhausting CPU

I noticed when having some trouble with code I was testing that the CPU was becoming exhausted and I would have to reboot. After rebooting a couple times I decided to check for other problems before trying my code again. That's when I noticed that the CPU with the idle process was through the roof:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Azrael
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What is %idle means in SAR?

Hi what does %idle reflect in SAR command suppose SAR commamd is showing idle as 90% does it means sytem is fine or sytem is in danger state. below is the o/p of sar command and %idle is 90 then what does its means. sar 1 4 AIX ab41cp01 3 5 000B3E0AD400 01/01/15... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptor
17 Replies
sag(1)								   User Commands							    sag(1)

NAME
sag - system activity graph SYNOPSIS
sag [-e time] [-f file] [-i sec] [-s time] [-T term] [-x spec] [-y spec] DESCRIPTION
The sag utility graphically displays the system activity data stored in a binary data file by a previous sar(1) run. Any of the sar data items may be plotted singly or in combination, as cross plots or versus time. Simple arithmetic combinations of data may be specified. sag invokes sar and finds the desired data by string-matching the data column header (run sar to see what is available). The sag utility requires a graphic terminal to draw the graph, and uses tplot(1) to produce its output. When running Solaris 2.x and OpenWindows, perform the following steps: 1. Run an "xterm" as a Tektronics terminal: prompt# xterm -t 2. In the "xterm" window, run sag specifying a tek terminal: prompt# sag -T tek options OPTIONS
The following options are supported and passed through to sar (see sar(1)): -e time Select data up to time. Default is 18:00. -f file Use file as the data source for sar. Default is the current daily data file /usr/adm/sa/sadd. -i sec Select data at intervals as close as possible to sec seconds. -s time Select data later than time in the form hh[:mm]. Default is 08:00. -T term Produce output suitable for terminal term. See tplot(1) for known terminals. Default for term is $TERM. -x spec x axis specification with spec in the form: name[op name]...[lo hi] name is either a string that will match a column header in the sar report, with an optional device name in square brackets, for example, r+w/s[dsk-1], or an integer value. op is + - * or / surrounded by blank spaces. Up to five names may be specified. Parentheses are not recognized. Contrary to custom, + and - have precedence over * and /. Evaluation is left to right. Thus, A/A+B*100 is evaluated as (A/(A+B))*100, and A+B/C+D is (A+B)/(C+D). lo and hi are optional numeric scale limits. If unspecified, they are deduced from the data. Enclose spec in double-quotes ("") if it includes white space. A single spec is permitted for the x axis. If unspecified, time is used. -y spec y axis specification with spec in the same form as for -x. Up to 5 spec arguments separated by a semi-colon (;) may be given for -y. The -y default is: -y"%usr0100;%usr+%sys0100;%usr+%sys+%wio0100" EXAMPLES
Example 1: Examples of the sag command. To see today's CPU utilization: example$ sag To see activity over 15 minutes of all disk drives: example$ TS=`date +%H:%M` example$ sar -o /tmp/tempfile 60 15 example$ TE=`date +%H:%M` example$ sag -f /tmp/tempfile -s $TS -e $TE -y "r+w/s[dsk]" FILES
/usr/adm/sa/sadd daily data file for day dd ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWaccu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
sar(1), tplot(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 4 Mar 1998 sag(1)