Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Retain 3 latest files
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Retain 3 latest files Post 302133583 by robotronic on Friday 24th of August 2007 05:01:05 AM
Old 08-24-2007
What do you mean for latest? The three more recent files (excluding directories)? If so, try this:

Code:
rm `ls -rtp | grep -v "/$" | tail -3`

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

retain create/mod date and time of files

Hi, I have a requirement by which I need to take a snapshot of a certain directory of a certain types of files into a target directory within the same server (HP-UX 9000). The problem is that the files created in the target directory has the date and time of when the files were copied over. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerardfjay
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

mv command to rename multiple files that retain some portion of the original file nam

Well the title is not too good, so I will explain. I need to move (rename) files using a simple AIX script. ???file1.txt ???file2.txt ???file1a.txt ???file2a.txt to be: ???renamedfile1'date'.txt ???renamedfile2'date'.txt ???renamedfile1a'date'.txt ???renamedfile2a'date'.txt ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: grimace15
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to delete the latest two files..Help needed

Suppose I have a directory called jeet and inside that directory so many files will be there.... Example: /abc/xyz/jeet $ ls -ltr total 0 -rw-r--r-- 1 oracle dba 0 Jan 13 11:36 naresh -rw-r--r-- 1 oracle dba 0 Jan 13 11:36 sreeni -rw-r--r-- 1 oracle dba ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: satyajit007
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To list only the very latest files

Hi, There are huge no of files in the directory. If i say ls -ltr it is taking too much time. i want to see only the files for Feb,2009. Please help. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkatesht
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

move files and retain subdir structure

hi: I have some files like this folder1/recording1.mp3 folder1/docs/budget.doc folder2/others/misc.mp3 folder3/others/notes.doc all this folders and files are under the mp3 folder. I would like to move just the mp3s to another folder but retain the subdir structure i have. So if... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jason7
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete all Files except the Latest Files

Hi, In my scenario, i just want to delete all the files except the latest one. How can I do? Please reply me. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: spkandy
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Getting Latest files

Hai I wolud like to know how to get the latest files. ex: file_ssss_00 file_ssss_01 i need to get file_ssss_01 files only. (in Unix script) Please give some idea ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raju4u
2 Replies

8. OS X (Apple)

Batch file to move video files and retain sub-directories

I have just purchased my first ever Apple computer - and am therefore new to UNIX also. I would like to create a simple "batch file" (apologies if this is the wrong terminology) to do the following: When I plug my camera into the MAC it automatically downloads photos and videos into a new... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mm0mss
1 Replies

9. Red Hat

List all old files except 15 latest files

Guys, Someone please guide me to tell me how do I print and later remove all old files in a folder recursively but keep only latest 15 modified files. When I do - ls -tp | head -15 I get the list of last 15 modified files whereas I need the list of all OTHER files except these files. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rockf1bull
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with finding the latest files

Hi, Actually i got a client requirment and i need experts help here. we have 30 parent directories and in that we have so many subdirectories and files. i want to find only latest timestamp files with out touching subdirectories and need to redirect the latest files into some other... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lkeswar
3 Replies
rc.config(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual						      rc.config(4)

NAME
rc.config, rc.config.d - files containing system configuration information SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
The system configuration used at startup is contained in files within the directory The file sources all of the files within and and exports their contents to the environment. /etc/rc.config The file is a script that sources all of the scripts, and also sources To read the configuration definitions, only this file need be sourced. This file is sourced by whenever it is run, such as when the command is run to transition between run states. Each file that exists in is sourced, without regard to which startup scripts are to be executed. /etc/rc.config.d The configuration information is structured as a directory of files, rather than as a single file containing the same information. This allows developers to create and manage their own configuration files here, without the complications of shared ownership and access of a common file. /etc/rc.config.d/* Files This is where files containing configuration variable assignments are located. Configuration scripts must be written to be read by the POSIX shell, and not the Bourne shell, or In some cases, these files must also be read and possibly modified by control scripts or the sam program. See sd(4) and sam(1M). For this reason, each variable definition must appear on a separate line, with the syntax: No trailing comments may appear on a variable definition line. Comment statements must be on separate lines, with the comment character in column one. This example shows the required syntax for configuration files: Configuration variables may be declared as array parameters when describing multiple instances of the variable configuration. For example, a system may contain two network interfaces, each having a unique IP address and subnet mask (see ifconfig(1M)). An example of such a dec- laration is as follows: Note that there must be no requirements on the order of the files sourced. This means configuration files must not refer to variables defined in other configuration files, since there is no guarantee that the variable being referenced is currently defined. There is no protection against environment variable namespace collision in these configuration files. Programmers must take care to avoid such prob- lems. /etc/TIMEZONE The file contains the definition of the environment variable. This file is required by POSIX. It is sourced by at the same time the files are sourced. SEE ALSO
rc(1M). rc.config(4)