Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: sed find word ending with
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed find word ending with Post 302133277 by ahmedwaseem2000 on Wednesday 22nd of August 2007 04:19:48 PM
Old 08-22-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by eltinator
Hi I want to use sed to find words ending in a pattern and then have it delete these words. Not sure if there is a better command to do this. I was thinking of a find and replace but I'm not sure of the syntax to look for a word ending with this pattern and not sure how to replace the whole word.
Could you provide some examples please?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

find a word in a file, and change a word beneath it ??

Hi all, I have a file with lines written somewhat like this. aaaa ccc aa linux browse = no xssxw cdcedc dcsdcd csdw police dwed dwd browse = no cdecec (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikas027
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Word count of lines ending with certain word

Hi all, I am trying to write a command that can help me count the number of lines in the /etc/passwd file ending in bash. I have read through other threads but am yet to find one indicating how to locate a specifc word at the end of a line. I know i will need to use the wc command but when i... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: warlock129
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete ending/trailing spaces using awk,sed,perl?

How to delete ending/trailing spaces using awk,sed,perl? Input:(each line has extra spaces at the end) 3456 565 3 7 35 878 Expected output: 3456 565 3 7 35 878 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cola
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed in script creates output file ending with '?' (^M)

Hi, I'm trying to use sed within a shell script (bash, running ubuntu). The command works fine from the command line, but when I use it within the script, rather than creating a file with the name I've specified, it creates one that ends with a question mark '?' when you use ls, e.g.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jennykay
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to get last word from a line ending with "/" in Unix

Hello All, I have a scenario to read a file containing text like this:(say file name is Dummy.txt) /home/abc/test1/ | file1 /home/abc/test2/ | file2 I used a variable to store the content from file like this (say for line1): File=`head -1 Dummy.txt | cut -f1 -d "|"` Dir=`head -1 Dummy.txt... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Quesemail
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find EXACT word in files, just the word: no prefix, no suffix, no 'similar', just the word

I have a file that has the words I want to find in other files (but lets say I just want to find my words in a single file). Those words are IDs, so if my word is ZZZ4, outputs like aaZZZ4, ZZZ4bb, aaZZZ4bb, ZZ4, ZZZ, ZyZ4, ZZZ4.8 (or anything like that) WON'T BE USEFUL. I need the whole word... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chicchan
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl lwp find word and print next word :)

hi all, I'm new there, I'm just playing with perl and lwp and I just successfully created a script for log in to a web site with post. I have a response but I would like to have something like this: I have in my response lines like: <div class="sender">mimi020</div> <some html code.....>... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vogueestylee
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

General find /grep question: files with lines ending in r

I am trying to find files that have lines in them that end in an r. I have been able to locate files by using the following command: find . -type f -name "*RECORDS"| xargs grep -l r$ However, I now want to find files that don't end in r anywhere. That means that no sentences or lines in... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do i replace a word ending with "key" using awk excpet for one word?

echo {mbr_key,grp_key,dep_key,abc,xyz,aaa,ccc} | awk 'gsub(/^|abc,|$/,"") {print}' Required output {grp_key,xyz,aaa,ccc} (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: 100bees
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find a word and increment the number in the word & save into new files

Hi All, I am looking for a perl/awk/sed command to auto-increment the numbers line in file, P1.tcl: run_build_model sparc_ifu_dec run_drc set_faults -model path_delay -atpg_effectiveness -fault_coverage add_delay_paths P1 set_atpg -abort_limit 1000 run_atpg -ndetects 1000 I would like... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jypark22
6 Replies
NWBPSET(1)							      nwbpset								NWBPSET(1)

NAME
nwbpset - Create a bindery property or set its value SYNOPSIS
nwbpset [ -h ] [ -S server ] [ -U user name ] [ -P password | -n ] [ -C ] DESCRIPTION
nwbpset Reads a property specification from the standard input and creates and sets the corresponding property. The format is determined by the output of 'nwbpvalues -c'. nwbpset will hopefully become an important part of the bindery management suite of ncpfs, together with As another example, look at the following command line: nwbpvalues -t 1 -o supervisor -p user_defaults -c | sed '2s/.*/ME/'| sed '3s/.*/LOGIN_CONTROL/'| nwbpset With this command, the property user_defaults of the user object 'supervisor' is copied into the property login_control of the user object 'me'. nwbpvalues -t 1 -o me -p login_control -c | sed '9s/.*/ff/'| nwbpset This command disables the user object me. Feel free to contribute other examples! nwbpset looks up the file $HOME/.nwclient to find a file server, a user name and possibly a password. See nwclient(5) for more information. Please note that the access permissions of $HOME/.nwclient MUST be 600 for security reasons. OPTIONS
-h -h is used to print out a short help text. -S server server is the name of the server you want to use. -U user user is the user name to use for login. -P password password is the password to use for login. If neither -n nor -P are given, and the user has no open connection to the server, nwbpset prompts for a password. -n -n should be given if no password is required for the login. -C By default, passwords are converted to uppercase before they are sent to the server, because most servers require this. You can turn off this conversion by -C. AUTHORS
nwbpset was written by Volker Lendecke. See the Changes file of ncpfs for other contributors. nwbpset 8/7/1996 NWBPSET(1)