Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Compare 2 list and delete certain names Post 302133163 by aajan on Wednesday 22nd of August 2007 07:56:13 AM
Old 08-22-2007
HI
I Hope this script works

#!/usr/bin/ksh

while read line
do
while read value
do
grep "<delete>" |pattern=`cut -d">" -f2`
if [ $pattern == $line ]
then
sed /$pattern/d file1
sed /$pattern/d file2 |sed '/^ *$/d'
fi
done <file2
done <file1

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare file names

Hi everyone, How to compare between two filenames, in case the current filename is the same as the last one an alarm to be sent, in case the current filename is different from the last filename, no alarm to be sent. Is there a way to do this? Thanks in advance. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: charbel
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to delete file names with $ in them

I'm reading the file name from a spreadsheet then creating a data file with several remove statements. i.e cd /sun/5.0/AWBE/v1.0/svr/VaultLocs/CPVaultLoc/ rm "ZXCV KTest Stat host $$ cont.xls" cd /sun/5.0/AQE/v1.0/svr/VaultLocs/CPVaultLoc/ rm "ABC PMT OzLtr.pdf" cd... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: orahi001
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare File Names in Different Directories...

I do not know much about shell scripting and need to create a script and I am at a loss. If someone can help me, that would be great!! I have two directories: /dir1 /dir2 I need to get the sequence number which is part of the filename in /dir1 and delete all files in /dir2 that are... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: stky13
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare list [ names and size files ]

Hello, I've downloaded a huge amont of files I've got a list of files from a remote server. -rw-r--r-- 1 str661 strem 453465260 Dec 16 15:54 SATRYS2V1_20021218_temp_bias.nc -rw-r--r-- 1 str661 strem 17669468 Dec 16 18:01 SATRYS2V1_20021225_hdyn_bias.nc -rw-r--r-- 1... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aswex
9 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to compare names of files?

hi, can somebody tell me how to compare names of files? the situation is I have 2 files file1 and file2 and I want to figure out which file has the biggest ending, in this case file2 is. thank you (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: s3270226
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check for particular files and compare the file names

Hi, Below are the 2 files in directory /tmp: masterCSF242323.img indexCSF242323.img 1) I want to compare if both the number (242323) are same in both the files. If they are same print - Files matching, else print files do not match. 2) Also if only index file is present in that... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: apatil65
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare file names on directory

Dears, Would you please help on following bash script: I want to get the most recent file named alfaYYYYMMDD.gz in one directory: for example: in directory /tmp/ ls -ltr alfa20130715.gz holding.gz alfa20130705.gz sart.txt merge.txt.gz alfa20130802.gz my result shoud be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: maxsub
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two files and get only missing names

I need to compare two files (oldfile1 & newfile). Need to ignore the values which are present in both files. At the same time, i need to get only records in new file. Tried using Join -v1 -v2 oldfile1 newfile (suspect it has not worked as expected). could anyone of you please help me here. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Selva_2507
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two files containing package names and version number

I have 2 files each containing a list of same fedora packages but with different version number. I want to compare the 2 files and remove the lines containing a newer or older version number (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: asya18
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare files with different names in different directories

Hi, I have a requirement to compare files in different directories with different names. The files have a datestamp in their name (It might not be a sequential datetimestamp). This is for Redhat Linux. I have more than 5 directories and more than 10 file in each directory to be compared. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: GosarJunk
4 Replies
GREP(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   GREP(1)

NAME
grep, g - search a file for a pattern SYNOPSIS
grep [ option ... ] pattern [ file ... ] g [ option ... ] pattern [ file ... ] DESCRIPTION
Grep searches the input files (standard input default) for lines that match the pattern, a regular expression as defined in regexp(7) with the addition of a newline character as an alternative (substitute for |) with lowest precedence. Normally, each line matching the pattern is `selected', and each selected line is copied to the standard output. The options are -c Print only a count of matching lines. -h Do not print file name tags (headers) with output lines. -e The following argument is taken as a pattern. This option makes it easy to specify patterns that might confuse argument parsing, such as -n. -i Ignore alphabetic case distinctions. The implementation folds into lower case all letters in the pattern and input before interpre- tation. Matched lines are printed in their original form. -l (ell) Print the names of files with selected lines; don't print the lines. -L Print the names of files with no selected lines; the converse of -l. -n Mark each printed line with its line number counted in its file. -s Produce no output, but return status. -v Reverse: print lines that do not match the pattern. -f The pattern argument is the name of a file containing regular expressions one per line. -b Don't buffer the output: write each output line as soon as it is discovered. Output lines are tagged by file name when there is more than one input file. (To force this tagging, include /dev/null as a file name argument.) Care should be taken when using the shell metacharacters $*[^|()= and newline in pattern; it is safest to enclose the entire expression in single quotes '...'. An expression starting with '*' will treat the rest of the expression as literal characters. G invokes grep with -n and forces tagging of output lines by file name. If no files are listed, it searches all files matching *.C *.b *.c *.h *.m *.cc *.java *.cgi *.pl *.py *.tex *.ms SOURCE
/src/cmd/grep /bin/g SEE ALSO
ed(1), awk(1), sed(1), sam(1), regexp(7) DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is null if any lines are selected, or non-null when no lines are selected or an error occurs. GREP(1)