Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Shell script for ftp
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Shell script for ftp Post 302133150 by namishtiwari on Wednesday 22nd of August 2007 07:02:41 AM
Old 08-22-2007
Error Shell script for ftp

Hi ,,
I am wrting a shell script to ftp a file from remote server but its giving some problem to me.can you help me in debugging this.

#!/usr/bin/ksh
HOST="some ip"
user="user_name"
passwd="password"
ftp -n $HOST >>END_SCRIPT
USER $user
$passwd
binary
prompt
get testingscript_new
quit
END_SCRIPT
exit 0
Can you please tell me also what is wrong in this script.

Thanks
Namish

Last edited by namishtiwari; 08-22-2007 at 08:14 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

using ftp in a shell script.

I am trying to ftp some files from a certain directory, but i got an invalid command. does anybody know why i got this error? ftp -v -i -n <<SCRIPT open servername user username password cd /server/logs for file in MCWAS* do put ${file} /home/test/${file} done bye SCRIPT (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: caesarkim
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

ftp in shell script

Hi, I have to ftp to a remote machine. i have got the Ip, username and password and the file path.. I need to get the file name with out user intervention in my script.. is there any way to do this.. please help esham (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: esham
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP via shell script

Hi, I need to upload a file via ftp. I have given : ftp -n $HOST <<END quote user $USER quote pass $PASSWD prompt off put bus.txt quit END Its throwing a syntax error at "<<" symbol. What should be done for this ?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: risshanth
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

ftp with shell script

Can I ftp to put file with shell script(as bath file) ? Plz give the simple code to do that. My script look like that #!/bin/sh echo "Start ftp" ftp temphost <<EOF put file quit EOF # end This code ignore username & password but I need to input. How to input username &... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: aungomarin
8 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

FTP in shell script

HI ALL i am writing a shell script in which i have to use FTP command like. FTP <ip address> cd xyz mget* bye but i am not able to perform any command from shell script. once the control goes to FTP, i again have to type all the things. i just want my shell script to take care of the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: infyanurag
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Shell script for FTP

#!/usr/bin/ksh export filename=/grid/PowerCenter/inbound/AT/filelist.txt export SOURCE_DIR=/grid/PowerCenter/inbound/AT export ICOMS_FTP_TGT_DIR1=/dw/input/ATU/ICOM_SERV1 export ICOMS_FTP_TGT_DIR2=/dw/input/AT/ICOM_SERV2 export FILE_MASK="ATRPU_RP_ATU" echo "start" ftp_data_file() { ... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: vsmeruga
15 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP within a SHELL script

I am running the following on linux (on a mac): filename="/Users/thisfilename.txt" hostname="ftp.mysite.com" username="myusername" password="mypassword" echo '=======FTP========' ftp -un $hostname <<EOF quote USER $username quote PASS $password binary put $filename quit EOF I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: globalnerds
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help With FTP Shell Script

So i Administer multiple ftp servers that run on dynamic IP's as well as user and password settings are changed by other people constantly. What i need to do is ensure that an FTP is server is up on the IP i check. As well as the login credentials work. Here is a simple script i wrote. However... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Noledge
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FTP in Shell Script

Dear All, I am using FTP in a script. But when i exit from the FTP session, the commands written after EOF don't get executed. i.e. ftp <<EOF quote $login quote $password cd /tmp mget *somefile* bye EOF echo $some_variable #This last echo command or whatever piece of commands i... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Salman786
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a Shell Script for FTP

Hello Brothers, I am new in shell script.I need a shell script that will run in Linux Server. Script will connect to windows FTP server before connection script will check the connection from linux server to windows server, if connection is ok then show a message and get specific file and... (34 Replies)
Discussion started by: maruf
34 Replies
d_passwd(4)							   File Formats 						       d_passwd(4)

NAME
d_passwd - dial-up password file SYNOPSIS
/etc/d_passwd DESCRIPTION
A dial-up password is an additional password required of users who access the computer through a modem or dial-up port. The correct pass- word must be entered before the user is granted access to the computer. d_passwd is an ASCII file which contains a list of executable programs (typically shells) that require a dial-up password and the associ- ated encrypted passwords. When a user attempts to log in on any of the ports listed in the dialups file (see dialups(4)), the login program looks at the user's login entry stored in the passwd file (see passwd(4)), and compares the login shell field to the entries in d_passwd. These entries determine whether the user will be required to supply a dial-up password. Each entry in d_passwd is a single line of the form: login-shell:password: where login-shell The name of the login program that will require an additional dial-up password. password An encrypted password. Users accessing the computer through a dial-up port or modem using login-shell will be required to enter this password before gaining access to the computer. d_passwd should be owned by the root user and the root group. The file should have read and write permissions for the owner (root) only. If the user's login program in the passwd file is not found in d_passwd or if the login shell field in passwd is empty, the user must sup- ply the default password. The default password is the entry for /usr/bin/sh. If d_passwd has no entry for /usr/bin/sh, then those users whose login shell field in passwd is empty or does not match any entry in d_passwd will not be prompted for a dial-up password. Dial-up logins are disabled if d_passwd has only the following entry: /usr/bin/sh:*: EXAMPLES
Example 1: Sample d_passwd file. Here is a sample d_passwd file: /usr/lib/uucp/uucico:q.mJzTnu8icF0: /usr/bin/csh:6k/7KCFRPNVXg: /usr/bin/ksh:9df/FDf.4jkRt: /usr/bin/sh:41FuGVzGcDJlw: Generating An Encrypted Password The passwd (see passwd(1)) utility can be used to generate the encrypted password for each login program. passwd generates encrypted pass- words for users and places the password in the shadow (see shadow(4)) file. Passwords for the d_passwd file will need to be generated by first adding a temporary user id using useradd (see useradd(1M)), and then using passwd(1) to generate the desired password in the shadow file. Once the encrypted version of the password has been created, it can be copied to the d_passwd file. For example: 1. Type useradd tempuser and press Return. This creates a user named tempuser. 2. Type passwd tempuser and press Return. This creates an encrypted password for tempuser and places it in the shadow file. 3. Find the entry for tempuser in the shadow file and copy the encrypted password to the desired entry in the d_passwd file. 4. Type userdel tempuser and press Return to delete tempuser. These steps must be executed as the root user. FILES
/etc/d_passwd dial-up password file /etc/dialups list of dial-up ports requiring dial-up passwords /etc/passwd password file /etc/shadow shadow password file SEE ALSO
passwd(1), useradd(1M), dialups(4), passwd(4), shadow(4) WARNINGS
When creating a new dial-up password, be sure to remain logged in on at least one terminal while testing the new password. This ensures that there is an available terminal from which you can correct any mistakes that were made when the new password was added. SunOS 5.10 2 Sep 2004 d_passwd(4)