Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Arguments
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Arguments Post 302133131 by iago on Wednesday 22nd of August 2007 05:54:42 AM
Old 08-22-2007
Arguments

Ok so i had to create a file and put some random text into it which i did.

THen u make a script which takes 2 arguments.

The first being a line of text, the second being your newly created file.

The script should take the first argument and insert it into the very top (the first line) of the file named in your second argument.

ive got this so far

BUFF=$(cat $2) echo $1 >> $2 echo " $BUFF" >> $2

but im getting the wrong output when i cat the file i created 'heaney'

"Seamus Heaney was born in April 1939, the eldest member of a family which would eventually contain nine children.

unixisbrillant echo

i need to get the bottom line "unixisbrillant" at the top

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

[: too many arguments

Hi Guys I have this small Bash script - but it fails when I'm trying to run it. ./test.sh: && ; then # date >> /writable/sys/shutdown.log shutdown -h "now" exit fi done (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tainted2real
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Too many arguments?

I can't find anything wrong with this line of code, it works when there is one file in the directory but more than one i get a "too many arguements2 error if ; then am i missing something? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alendrin
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

too many arguments?

i don't know what's wrong with the code, says too many arguments in the first two if statements. how to change it? thx. the file is like in this format: ;dfs;dfdsf;fsd ff dsf;dfdffdfd; -f2 should be only one word with no space, but could be like this 'n/a', '**ABC' while read line; do ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dtdt
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

hi I am getting too many arguments error for the below line if ; then Thx in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vls1210
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Too many arguments

echo "the number from 1 to 10:" i=1 while do echo $i i=`expr $i+1' done above is the program i written in Linux O.S using vi editor but i am getting the error that while: line 3: i am not understanding that why i am getting this error. can any body please help me regarding this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bsatishbabu
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep with two arguments to arguments to surch for

Hello, is it possible to give grep two documents to surche for? like grep "test" /home/one.txt AND /home/two.txt ? thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Cybertron
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

: [: too many arguments in for -f in if

Hi Experts , I have following code if ; then mv path /filename newdirpath echo "K* files moved successfully to newdirpath \n" else echo "K* files DID NOT moved successfully to newdirpath \n" fi I am getting "echo "K* files DID NOT moved successfully to newdirpath \n"... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajaypatil_am
19 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using arguments

I have a SNMP agent that sends three arguments to the script to get a value at the end. The first is the LeafNumber, second is the request type (SET, GET, GETNEXT), and the last is a string that represents some value to be set(used only for set requests). The agent string looks like this: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jsoper1
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Too many arguments

hi I have this code a="a b c" set -- $a if ; then echo empty fi why is it line 3 reports "test: [: too many arguments"? :wall: Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: h0ujun
4 Replies

10. Ubuntu

line 5: #!/bin/bash old=$(du -sh /home/andy/Downloads/myfile.iso) while true; do new=$(du -sh /home/andy/Downloads/myfile.iso) if ; then break fi old=$new xdotool getactivewindow key Ctrl sleep 5 done line 5: bash - Meaning of " (square brackets)... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: drew77
9 Replies
pbmtext(1)                                                    General Commands Manual                                                   pbmtext(1)

NAME
pbmtext - render text into a bitmap SYNOPSIS
pbmtext [-font fontfile] [-builtin fontname] [-space pixels] [-lspace pixels] [text] DESCRIPTION
Takes the specified text, either a single line from the command line or multiple lines from standard input, and renders it into a bitmap. In the bitmap, each line of input is a line of output. Formatting characters such as newline have no effect on the formatting; like any unprintable character, they turn into spaces. The bitmap is just wide enough for the longest line of text, plus margins, and just high enough to contain the lines of text, plus margins. The left and right margins are twice the width of the widest character in the font; the top and bottom margins are the height of the tallest character in the font. But if the text is only one line, all the margins are half of this. OPTIONS
-font,-builtin By default, pbmtext uses a built-in font called bdf (about a 10 point Times-Roman font). You can use a fixed width font by specify- ing -builtin fixed. You can also specify your own font with the -font flag. The fontfile is either a BDF file from the X window system or a PBM file. If the fontfile is a PBM file, it is created in a very specific way. In your window system of choice, display the following text in the desired (fixed-width) font: M ",/^_[`jpqy| M / !"#$%&'()*+ / < ,-./01234567 < > 89:;<=>?@ABC > @ DEFGHIJKLMNO @ _ PQRSTUVWXYZ[ _ { ]^_`abcdefg { } hijklmnopqrs } ~ tuvwxyz{|}~ ~ M ",/^_[`jpqy| M Do a screen grab or window dump of that text, using for instance xwd, xgrabsc, or screendump. Convert the result into a pbm file. If necessary, use pnmcut to remove everything except the text. Finally, run it through pnmcrop to make sure the edges are right up against the text. pbmtext can figure out the sizes and spacings from that. -space pixels Add pixels pixels of space between characters. This is in addition to whatever space surrounding characters is built into the font, which is usually enough to produce a reasonable string of text. pixels may be negative to crowd text together, but the author has not put much thought or testing into how this works in every pos- sible case, so it might cause disastrous results. -B -lspace pixels Add pixels pixels of space between lines. This is in addition to whatever space above and below characters is built into the font, which is usually enough to produce a reasonable line spacing. pixels must be a whole number. pixels may be negative to crowd lines together, but the author has not put much thought or testing into how this works in every pos- sible case, so it might cause disastrous results. USAGE
Often, you want to place text over another image. One way to do this is with ppmlabel. ppmlabel does not give you the font options that pbmtext does, though. Another way is to use pbmtext to create an image containing the text, then use pnmcomp to overlay the text image onto your base image. To make only the text (and not the entire rectangle containing it) cover the base image, you will need to give pnmcomp a mask, via its -alpha option. You can just use the text image itself as the mask, as long as you also specify the -invert option to pnmcomp. If you want to overlay colored text instead of black, just use ppmchange to change all black pixels to the color of your choice before overlaying the text image. But still use the original black and white image for the alpha mask. If you want the text at an angle, use pnmrotate on the text image (and alpha mask) before overlaying. SEE ALSO
pnmcut(1), pnmcrop(1), pnmcomp(1), ppmchange(1), pnmrotate(1), pbmtextps(1), ppmlabel(1), pbm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1993 by Jef Poskanzer and George Phillips 28 January 2001 pbmtext(1)