Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers connecting to a database through a script...if not give an error msg Post 302133099 by sommer_queen on Wednesday 22nd of August 2007 03:07:36 AM
Old 08-22-2007
connecting to a database through a script...if not give an error msg

Hello ,
i have a problem in writing the shell script..
i have a script already written n just need to make a change in which when the script is not able to connect to the database ..it should print an error msg on the screen.

I have already seen previous posts on how to connect to the database ..but i didnt find any in which it prints out an error msg when not connected to the database... I am posting my script below.

I have tried it this way ..but it doesnt seem to work.. Somewhere i guess it is been written in a wrong way.

if[!$STOCK/sqlplus VKS#1/#vokus02@$VOKUS @range.sql]
print "Cannot connect to the Database";

thank u in advance
...................................................................................................
#!/bin/ksh
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/export/home/oracle/app/oracle/product/8.1.7/lib
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH

export ORACLE_HOME=/export/home/oracle/product/10.1.0/client_1

export STOCK=/export/home/oracle/product/10.1.0/client_1/bin

export ENT=/home/thomas/ent/uc2

VOKUS=**********
cd $ENT

# $STOCK/sqlplus VKS#1/#vokus02@$VOKUS @range.sql
if[!$STOCK/sqlplus VKS#1/#vokus02@$VOKUS @range.sql]
print "Cannot connect to the Database";

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Connecting to a database via UNIX

hello - Is it possible to connect to a database at the command line to an Oracle instance whilst logged in on the unix box i.e. not using a script Cheers (Running Solaris) Also if anyone has any info on how a Citirix ICA client might be helpful here that would be appreciated Cheers (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: penfold
1 Replies

2. AIX

command to give me Database

Which is command I could used, to give me the kind of database ,size of database and version of database ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: magasem
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

error connecting database from perl

Hi, While i am trying to connect to Oracle database from Perl using DBI module,am getting the error as follows : Can't load '/usr/local/fuseperl-modules/lib/i586-linux-thread-multi/auto/DBD/Oracle/Oracle.so' for module DBD::Oracle: libwtc9.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: DILEEP410
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Connecting to Oracle Database

if; sql="select username from dba_users where username = '$FromUser';" check_FromUser=`ExecSql "$sql"` I want to connect to Oracle database & check the users in the database, store the value in check_FromUser. First how to connect to Oracle database from the shell script ? Appreciate your... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dreams5617
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Connecting and Querying DB2 database from Unix Script?

I am trying to develop a script that can connect to a DB2 database mainframe and Query the database and display the results. I've been researching, but I have yet to find a definitive solution where I can enter in the Mainframe DB2 address db2:// and query the database and return the results. If... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: developncode
2 Replies

6. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Client is not connecting to the Database

Hi, Am running my client in Windows and the database (IBM DB2) is in AIX machine. if I open my client its not connecting to the database at first time and failing in a particular SQL Query. But if I close the client and open again then its connecting and the query is also working fine. Don't... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mvictorvijayan
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Connecting to oracle database from shell script

Hi all, I am satyakiran , i am new to the forum. i never done shell scripts for connecting to the data base (oracle) and fetching the data from the database( thru sql select statements ) i want to know 1. how to connect to the data base(oracle) using shell script 2. how to retrieve data... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: satyakiran
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Connecting to Database

Hi, I want to write a shell script which connects to a Database, executes a set of SQLs and displays a message for every SQL that was run whether any records have been returned or not? Can anyone help me in this regard? Appreciate your help and concern. Thanks, Dave (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yoursdavinder
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Connecting database

Hi all, In my concern they gave a task to me do cran job like To write a shell script for To connect a database it should execute a query it should save the output of the query after getting the output it should send a mail to you inbox for every one hour I can able to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: thelakbe
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

script for connecting database in loops

Hi experts. I have different database and schema and their passwords in one file. In Unix : I want to create the script that connect the sqlplus and execute the select query one by one schema with different database. Ex: password File Format databse schemaname password DB1 name1 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abhigrkist
1 Replies
INSTALLSIEVE(1) 					      General Commands Manual						   INSTALLSIEVE(1)

NAME
installsieve - user utility for managing sieve scripts SYNOPSIS
installsieve DESCRIPTION
installsieve is a utility that allows users to manage their sieve scripts kept on the server. OPTIONS
-v <name> View script with the given name. The script if retrieved sucessfully is output to standard output. -l List all of the scripts currently on the server. If one of the scripts is active a arrow is printed indicating that it is the active script. -p <port> Port to connect to. If left off this defaults to "sieve" as defined in /etc/services. -i <file> Install a file onto the server. If a script with the same name already exists on the server it is overwritten. Upon sucessfully putting the script on the server the script is set active. If <file> has the extension .script it is chopped when put on the server since sieve names may not contain a '.'. -a <name> Set <name> as the active script. The list of available names can be obtained from the '-l' option.. -d <name> Delete the sieve script on the server with <name>. -m <mechanism> Force installsieve to use <mechanism> for authentication. If not specified the strongest authentication mechanism is chosen. -g <name> Get the sieve script with <name> and save it to disk with a ".script" extension. If a file with that name already exists it is overwritten. -u <user> Userid/Authname to use for authentication; by default, the current user. CMU
Project Cyrus INSTALLSIEVE(1)