Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problem with changing directory and subdirectories to read only Post 302133073 by lalelle on Tuesday 21st of August 2007 11:10:50 PM
Old 08-22-2007
It seems that it changes to 444 but where the permission denied comes from.
Please help

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

makefiles in a directory and subdirectories

I need to develop a makefile that spans across directories. For example, let's say i have an upper level directory (main) and about 2 subdirectories. I want my .cpp files and .o files to be in one subdirectory. I want my .a files to be in the other subdirectory. The .a files are made up of the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: benjie_asu
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How Can I Make Subdirectories In A Directory?

I cant remember how, i use to know but its been like 2 years since ive used shell can anyone help me? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kprescod4158
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

search files in a directory and its subdirectories

Hello my friends, I need to write a simple shell bad file :D that search and delete a file it's name 'Microsoft.txt' in the current directory and its subdirectories? So can you help to guide me how i can write this shell, Just give me the beginning :o thank you. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Net-Man
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with changing default home directory

Hi I want to change the default home directory of a user by modifying the /etc/passwd. I have a user named John cat /etc/passwd | grep John john:x:503:506::/home/john/:/bin Here is my script: echo "Enter username"; read username; echo "Enter new home directory"; read new_path; ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tjay83
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

read files from subdirectories

hello there the problem i got: i need to list .rrd files in each sub-directory from the parent directory, then create .xml files for each rrd files, the xml file should be in the same subdirectoryas rrd file. i have tried ls |awk '{print... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: binbintriangel
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to remove directory with subdirectories and files?

I'm trying to remove several directories which contains sun-dirs and files inside. I used the command rm -r <dirname> But, it always ask "examine file in directory <dirname> yes/no?" line by line. So, i need to write "y" for every line. How can i skip this step and remove all directories with... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ppa108
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find directory name while traversing subdirectories

Hi, I have a parent directory in which I have sub directories of different depth /usr/usr1/user2/671 /usr/usr1/672 /usr/user2/user1/673 /usr/user2/user3/user4/674 And I need the names of all the directories that which starts only with 6 in a file. Thanks, (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: arun_maffy
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying subdirectories of a directory to some other directory and renaming them

Hi, I am a newbie in shell scripting. I have to copy a particular sub-directory (data) from a large no. of directories (all in the same folder) and paste them to another directory ( /home/hubble/data ) and then rename all the subdirectories (data) as the name of its parent directory. please... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sholay
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

changing mode of files in subdirectories

Hi I actually need to change the mode to 777 in the current directory as well as subdirectories how to achieve that. I have /usr/sol/home/workfold as the main directory there are many directies and files in the workfold directory . I need to chmod 777 to all the directories and files under... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssuresh1999
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

recursive copy into a directory and all its subdirectories...

I want to copy a file from the top directory into all the sub-folders and all of the sub-folders of those sub-folder etc. Does anyone have any idea how to do this? Thanks in advance of any help you can give. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: EinsteinMcfly
3 Replies
LFC_RENAME(3)						       LFC Library Functions						     LFC_RENAME(3)

NAME
lfc_rename - rename a LFC file or directory in the name server SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include "lfc_api.h" int lfc_rename (const char *oldpath, const char *newpath) DESCRIPTION
lfc_rename renames a LFC file or directory in the name server. oldpath and newpath must be of the same type, i.e. both regular files or both directories. If newpath exists already, it will be removed before the rename takes place. If newpath is a directory, it must be empty. When renaming a directory, newpath must not be a descendant of oldpath, i.e. newpath must not contain a path prefix that names oldpath. Write permission is required on both parents. If oldpath is a directory, write permission is required on it and if newpath is an existing directory, write permission is also required on it. If any of the parents has the sticky bit S_ISVTX set, either the effective user ID of the requestor must match the owner ID of the file or the effective user ID of the requestor must match the owner ID of the directory or the file must be writable by the requestor or the requestor must have ADMIN privilege in the Cupv database. RETURN VALUE
This routine returns 0 if the operation was successful or -1 if the operation failed. In the latter case, serrno is set appropriately. ERRORS
ENOENT A component of oldpath prefix does not exist or oldpath or newpath is a null pathname. EACCES Search permission is denied on a component of the path prefixes or write permission on the parent directories is denied or oldpath is a directory and write permission is denied on oldpath or newpath. EFAULT oldpath or newpath is a NULL pointer. EEXIST newpath is an existing directory and is not empty or newpath is an existing file with replicas. ENOTDIR A component of the path prefixes is not a directory or oldpath is a directory and newpath is an existing regular file. EISDIR newpath is a directory while oldpath is a regular file. EINVAL newpath is a descendant of oldpath. ENAMETOOLONG The length of oldpath or newpath exceeds CA_MAXPATHLEN or the length of a path component exceeds CA_MAXNAMELEN. SENOSHOST Host unknown. SENOSSERV Service unknown. SECOMERR Communication error. ENSNACT Name server is not running or is being shutdown. SEE ALSO
Castor_limits(4), lfc_chdir(3), lfc_chmod(3), lfc_unlink(3), Cupvlist(1) AUTHOR
LCG Grid Deployment Team LFC
$Date: 2005/06/30 08:34:03 $ LFC_RENAME(3)