Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: No. of files in a directory
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers No. of files in a directory Post 302132744 by lorcan on Sunday 19th of August 2007 11:55:09 PM
Old 08-20-2007
Perderabo, thats exactly what i was trying to say.

I was stressing that there is limit of the direct sub-directories in a directory which is equivalent to MAXLINK.

I haven't metioned any limit on the files in a directory Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

moving files from a unix directory to a windows directory

Any body any ideas i'm failry new to this so any help would be appreciated. Cheers Steve (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gleads
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating date directory and moving files into that directory

I have list of files named file_username_051208_025233.log. Here 051208 is the date and 025233 is the time.I have to run thousands of files daily.I want to put all the files depending on the date of running into a date directory.Suppose if we run files today they should put into 05:Dec:08... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi030
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding files in current directory when 100,000's files in current directory

Hi All I was wondering what is the most efficient way to find files in the current directory(that may contain 100,000's files), that meets a certain specified file type and of a certain age. I have experimented with the find command in unix but it also searches all sub directories. I have... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kewong007
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to rsync or tar directory trees, with hidden directory, but without files?

I want to backup all the directory tress, including hidden directories, without copying any files. find . -type d gives the perfect list. When I tried tar, it won't work for me because it tars all the files. find . -type d | xargs tar -cvf a.tar So i tried rsync. On my own test box, the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fld2007
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP files from different directory from remote server to one directory in local

Hi All, I want to search for .log files from folders and sub folders in remote server and FTP them to one particular folder in the local machine. I dont want to copy the entire directory tree structure, just have to take all the .log files from all the folders by doing a recursive search from the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dassv
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grepping file names, comparing them to a directory of files, and moving them into a new directory

got it figured out :) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sHockz
1 Replies

7. AIX

How to set owner and permission for files/directory in directory in this case?

Hi. My example: I have a filesystem /log. Everyday, log files are copied to /log. I'd like to set owner and permission for files and directories in /log like that chown -R log_adm /log/* chmod -R 544 /log/*It's OK, but just at that time. When a new log file or new directory is created in /log,... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobochacha29
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

List files with date, create directory, move to the created directory

Hi all, i have a folder, with tons of files containing as following, on /my/folder/jobs/ some_name_2016-01-17-22-38-58_some name_0_0.zip.done some_name_2016-01-17-22-40-30_some name_0_0.zip.done some_name_2016-01-17-22-48-50_some name_0_0.zip.done and these can be lots of similar files,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: charli1
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to move gz files from one source directory to destination directory?

Hi All, Daily i am doing the house keeping in one of my server and manually moving the files which were older than 90 days and moving to destination folder. using the find command . Could you please assist me how to put the automation using the shell script . ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkat918
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Directory containing files,Print names of the files in the directory that are exactly same content.

Given a directory containing say a few thousand files, please output a list of all the names of the files in the directory that are exactly the same, i.e. have the same contents. func(a_directory_name) output -> {“matches”: , ... ]} e.g. func(“/home/my/files”) where the directory... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: anuragpgtgerman
7 Replies
mktrashcan(1)						      General Commands Manual						     mktrashcan(1)

NAME
mktrashcan, rmtrashcan, shtrashcan - Attaches, detaches, or shows a trashcan directory SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/mktrashcan trashcan directory... /usr/sbin/rmtrashcan directory... /usr/sbin/shtrashcan directory... OPERANDS
Specifies the directory that contains files that were deleted from attached directories. Whenever you delete a file in the specified directory, the file system automatically moves the file to the trashcan directory. Specifies the directory that you attach to a trashcan directory. DESCRIPTION
The trashcan utilities (mktrashcan and rmtrashcan) enable you to attach or detach an existing directory, which you specify as a trashcan directory, to any number of directories within the same fileset. A trashcan directory stores the files that are deleted with the unlink system call. For instance, you can use the mktrashcan utility to attach a trashcan directory called /usr/trashcan to one or more directories; thereafter, when you delete a file from one of the attached directories, the file system moves the file to the /usr/trashcan directory. Note that when more than one directory shares attachment to a trashcan directory, files with the same file name can overwrite each other in the trashcan directory. If you mistakenly delete a file, use the mv command to return the file from the /usr/trashcan directory to its original directory. When you enter shtrashcan at the system prompt, the system shows the trashcan directory, if one exists, for the directory you specified. It is important that trashcan directories have correct access permissions. If the permissions are too restrictive, then it may be impossi- ble to remove files from the directories that are attached to the trashcan directory. In general, all users and groups that expect to use the trashcan directory need write permission to the directory. If unexpected "permission denied" errors occur when deleting files that are in a directory attached to a trashcan directory, use the chmod command to change the permissions on the trashcan directory. RESTRICTIONS
The directory and trashcan directories must be in the same fileset; however, you can attach the trashcan directory to any directory within the fileset. EXAMPLES
The following example creates and attaches a trashcan directory, /usr/trashcan, to two directories, /usr/ray and /usr/projects/sql/test, which are in the same fileset. The chmod command adds write permission for all users and groups on the new trashcan directory. % mkdir /usr/trashcan % chmod a+w /usr/trashcan % mktrashcan /usr/trashcan /usr/ray /usr/projects/sql/test To attach the trashcan directory, /usr/trashcan, to all subdirectories in the /usr directory, enter: % mktrashcan /usr/trashcan /usr/* New subdirectories that you add beneath the /usr directory are not attached to the trashcan directory until you attach them. Also, the mktrashcan utility distinguishes between directories and files, attaching only directories to the trashcan directory. Note that an attached directory produces an EDUPLICATE_DIRS (-1165) error when /usr/trashcan is itself in the directory path you attach to (as in the previous example). You can ignore this error message. SEE ALSO
advfs(4), mkfset(8), showfsets(8) mktrashcan(1)