Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: convert/format a file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting convert/format a file Post 302132714 by drl on Sunday 19th of August 2007 02:05:38 PM
Old 08-19-2007
Hi.

One solution:
Code:
#!/usr/bin/env sh

# @(#) s1       Demonstrate awk CSV to fixed-field.

set -o nounset
echo

## Define function to list versions.

version()
{
  for command
  do
    if command -v $command >/dev/null 2>&1
    then
      command -p $command --version | head -1
    else
      echo " (Warning -- command \"$command\" not found in PATH.)" >&2
    fi
  done
  return 0
}

## List the version of each command we're using here.

version bash awk

FILE=${1-data1}

echo

# Process the file.  Remove blanks from printf to get fields next
# to each other:
# { printf("%-5s%-6s%-8s%-4s%-15s%-s7\n",$1,$2,$3,$4,$5,$6) }

awk -F, '
        { printf("%-5s %-6s %-8s %-4s %-15s %-s7\n",$1,$2,$3,$4,$5,$6) }
' $FILE

exit 0

producing:
Code:
% ./s1

GNU bash, version 2.05b.0(1)-release (i386-pc-linux-gnu)
GNU Awk 3.1.4

20045667886 tamrind user     india address1234     love7
20045667886 tamrind user     india address45       love7
20045667886 tamrind user     india address333333   love7

cheers, drl

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to convert file format ?

Hi guys, I have a text file like in following format, IMSI:1 MSISDN:44569098 Data1=prov Data2=yes Data3=not Data4=yes Data5=yes Data6=yes IMSI:2 MSISDN:44569099 Data1=yes Data2=not Data3=prov Data4=prov (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maheshsri
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Convert UTF8 Format file to ANSI format

:) Hi i am trying to convert a file which is in UTF8 format to ANSI format i tried to use the function ICONV but it is throwing error Function i used it as $ iconv -f UTF8 -t ANSI filename Error iam getting is NOT Supported UTF8 to ANSI please some help me out on this.........Let me... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajreddy
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Convert UTF8 Format file to ANSI format

:confused: Hi i am trying to convert a file which is in UTF8 format to ANSI format i tried to use the function ICONV but it is throwing error Function i used it as $ iconv -f UTF8 -t ANSI filename Error iam getting is NOT Supported UTF8 to ANSI please some help me out on... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajreddy
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To convert multi format file to a readable ascii format

Hi I have a file which has ascii , binary, binary decimal coded,decimal & hexadecimal data with lot of special characters (like öƒ.ƒ.„İİ¡Š·œƒ.„İİ¡Š· ) in it. I want to standardize the file into ASCII format & later use that as source . Can any one suggest a way a logic to convert such... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gaur.deepti
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert Epoch time format to normal date time format in the same file

I have a file named "suspected" with series of line like these : {'protocol': 17, 'service': 'BitTorrent KRPC', 'server': '219.78.120.166', 'client_port': 52044, 'client': '10.64.68.44', 'server_port': 8291, 'time': 1226506312L, 'serverhostname': ''} {'protocol': 17, 'service': 'BitTorrent... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rk4k
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

convert date format to mysql date format in log file

I have a comma delimited log file which has the date as MM/DD/YY in the 2nd column, and HH:MM:SS in the 3rd column. I need to change the date format to YYYY-MM-DD and merge it with the the time HH:MM:SS. How will I got about this? Sample input 02/27/09,23:52:31 02/27/09,23:52:52... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hazno
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Convert UNIX file format to PC format

Hi All, Is there any way to convert a file which is in UNIX format to a PC format.... Flip command can be used , apart form this command can we have any other way.... like usinf "awk" etc ..... main purpose of not using flip is that my Kshell doesnot support this comamnd.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Samtel
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert UNIX file format to PC format

Hi All, Is there any way to convert a file which is in UNIX format to a PC format.... Flip command can be used , apart form this command can we have any other way.... like usinf "awk" etc ..... main purpose of not using flip is that my Kshell doesnot support this comamnd.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Samtel
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert the below file to csv format

Hi , i want to change this question, i will post soon.. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: srikanth2567
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help Badly to convert file format!

Can anyone provide me a unix script to convert file formats. Input and desired output is attached. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ravi S M
10 Replies
DPKG-WWW(1)						      General Commands Manual						       DPKG-WWW(1)

NAME
dpkg-www - program to remotely open a WWW Debian package browser SYNOPSIS
dpkg-www [-s|--stdout] [-h|--host host] [query] DESCRIPTION
dpkg-www is used to remotely control a WEB browser and open a dpkg URL on the local host from an interactive shell or script. If the command is invoked while running under X-window the script will try to find an installed X browser to open the specified URL. If not running under X it will try to use a text browser instead. If Netscape is found and a Netscape instance is already running it will be asked to open the dpkg URL on localhost with the optional query supplied on the command line. If there is no browser running, it will start automatically a new one. The functionality provided by this program is identical to running a web browser with the -remote openURL(http://localhost/cgi-bin/dpkg) argument or opening the same URL from within the browser. dpkg-www-installer is an helper application which can configured in the WWW browser for web installation. It should never be invoked directly by the user. OPTIONS
-s, --stdout Redirect output to stdout. Requires one of the text browsers (lynx, lynx-ssl or links) installed. -h, --host host Send the query to a remote host, where dpkg-www must be installed. query Specifies an optional package name, an absolute pathname or a query argument which is passed to the dpkg cgi-bin. See dpkg-www(8) for more information about the use of the cgi. FILES
/etc/dpkg-www.conf ~/.dpkg-www Configuration files for dpkg-www. It is not necessary for these files to exist, there are sensible defaults for everything, but you can specify your preferred www browser with the DPKG_WWW_BROWSER variable, for example: DPKG_WWW_BROWSER=mozilla EXAMPLES
dpkg-www This would open a dpkg URL on localhost listing all the installed packages. dpkg-www bash This would open a dpkg URL asking info on the bash package. dpkg-www -h pisolo bash This would open a dpkg URL asking info on the bash package on host pisolo. dpkg-www 'dpkg*' This would open a dpkg URL listing all packages matching dpkg*. dpkg-www /bin/bash This would open a dpkg URL asking info on the package(s) owning the file /bin/bash . dpkg-www depends=svgalib This would open a dpkg URL listing all packages depending on svgalib. dpkg-www --stdout depends=awk | grep ^ii This would list on stdout all packages depending on awk and grep all lines of installed packages. SEE ALSO
dpkg(8), dpkg-www(8) AUTHOR
Massimo Dal Zotto <dz@debian.org>. Bugs should be reported via the normal Debian bug reporting system. LICENCE
dpkg-www is licensed under the GNU General Public License version 2. September 1, 2004 DPKG-WWW(1)