Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Compress command
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Compress command Post 302132601 by matrixmadhan on Friday 17th of August 2007 08:50:00 PM
Old 08-17-2007
How about using !

Code:
compress /var/opt/l2/amer/art2/USFINUM*

Do you want to compress all the USFINUM values under compressed directory ?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cpio command with compress

Hi friends.. I want to be able to copy a file from one location to another (locally). The location the files are copied to should have compressed instances of the files they were copied from. copy from /home/user/test.file copy to /backup/user/test.file.Z I need to be able to do this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sureshy
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar command with compress option...

Hi ! i have to write a script that archivs homes not used since 3 years. First, my script gathers the users that are concerned, using the following command : ll -lt /home/*/.sh_history | egrep '2000|1999|1998|1997' | awk '{print $3}' i obtain a list like this : user_1 user_2 ...... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomapam
3 Replies

3. SCO

Help on compress command

Hello. Can any1 help me with the compress command. The -b option takes the number of bits used for encoding. can u expalin why this number of bits is used and for what purpose. what is the maximum number we can provide? In SFU these number has a valod range between 12 and 16 y?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rahulrathod
1 Replies

4. Linux

lp command with compress mode

I want to know whether lp command is having option for setting compess mode in linux.Is it possible to pass escape characters to lp command to set printing in compress mode. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zita
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

combining mv and compress command

Hi All, I have a file in DirA/ABC.out a need to move to DirB.I am using the following steps now: mv DirA/ABC.out DirB compress -f DirB/ABC.out Is there a way to just do this one step as I have to move hundreds of files every hour. -Thanks in advance. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam_78_nyc
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy Compress as one command

Hi, I need to copy and compress files in a directory in single line of command. I am able to copy and gzip files in one command but not directory. Command that I am using for copying directory is below : cp -rp /u01/app/<directory> /u01/app/backup |gzip -r /u01/app/backup/<directory> ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: findprakash
10 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Issue: Compress in unix server and FTP to windows and open the compress file using Winzip

Hi All ! We have to compress a big data file in unix server and transfer it to windows and uncompress it using winzip in windows. I have used the utility ZIP like the below. zip -e <newfilename> df2_test_extract.dat but when I compress files greater than 4 gb using zip utility, it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sakthifire
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compress the file using Tar command

Hi, When i am tar the file particular ,csv file format in a folder i am receiving the error Command: tar cf New_data.tar /new/file/mari/getdata/small/*.xml Arguements too long But sometimes i am able to compress other folder but the tar folder contains all the file format and... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: marivinay
10 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

UNIX: Command to compress folder and all files into a tar

I am trying to grab a folder and all the folders and files underneath it and send it from one computer to another. I basically want to compress the whole folder into a tar, tgz, or zip file so that it can be sent as one file. is there a command to compress a folder and all its contents into a tar... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kane4355
7 Replies

10. Red Hat

Command to compress a file

Hi, When we want to compress a file which is of huge size then what command is best for us.Kindly suggest on this. 1.Tar command or 2.gzip command OS -- Linux 2.6 Regards, Maddy (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Maddy123
6 Replies
DH_COMPRESS(1)							     Debhelper							    DH_COMPRESS(1)

NAME
dh_compress - compress files and fix symlinks in package build directories SYNOPSIS
dh_compress [debhelperoptions] [-Xitem] [-A] [file...] DESCRIPTION
dh_compress is a debhelper program that is responsible for compressing the files in package build directories, and makes sure that any symlinks that pointed to the files before they were compressed are updated to point to the new files. By default, dh_compress compresses files that Debian policy mandates should be compressed, namely all files in usr/share/info, usr/share/man, files in usr/share/doc that are larger than 4k in size, (except the copyright file, .html and other web files, image files, and files that appear to be already compressed based on their extensions), and all changelog files. Plus PCF fonts underneath usr/share/fonts/X11/ FILES
debian/package.compress These files are deprecated. If this file exists, the default files are not compressed. Instead, the file is ran as a shell script, and all filenames that the shell script outputs will be compressed. The shell script will be run from inside the package build directory. Note though that using -X is a much better idea in general; you should only use a debian/package.compress file if you really need to. OPTIONS
-Xitem, --exclude=item Exclude files that contain item anywhere in their filename from being compressed. For example, -X.tiff will exclude TIFF files from compression. You may use this option multiple times to build up a list of things to exclude. -A, --all Compress all files specified by command line parameters in ALL packages acted on. file ... Add these files to the list of files to compress. CONFORMS TO
Debian policy, version 3.0 SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 11.1.6ubuntu2 2018-05-10 DH_COMPRESS(1)