Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Extract a character
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Extract a character Post 302132531 by lorcan on Friday 17th of August 2007 09:33:22 AM
Old 08-17-2007
Code:
echo "abcdef" | cut -c3

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract character + 1

Hi, I would like extract from a file a character or pattern after ( n + 1) a specific pattern (n) . ( i supposed with awk) how could i do ? Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: francis_tom
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract first column with a specific character

Hi All, Below is the sample data of my files: O|A|571000689|D|S|PNH|S|SI sadm|ibscml1x| I|A|571000689|P|S|PNH|S|SI sadm|ibscml1x| O|A|571000689|V|S|PNH|S|SI sadm|ibscml1x| S|C|CAM|D|S|PNH|R|ZOA|2004 bscml1x| ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: selamba_warrior
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract the last character of a string

How can I extract the last character of a string (withou knowing how many characters are in that string ! ) (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: annelisa
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract character from string

ps -eaf | grep “oracleTRLV (LOCAL=NO)” | while read ora_proc do echo $ora_proc done I would like to modify the above shell so that if character 13 and 14 equal "12" to do something. Sorry I'm new to shell:( (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: NicoMan
14 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract a character specifying position

hi , i am having a file Full_ARTMAS_20110510152425.xml in my local directory. i wanted to extract the character at the 35143546 th position at line 1 of this file.Can any body help me how to do it??? regards Anjali (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: angel12345
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract text between two character positions

Greetings. I need to extract text between two character positions, e.g: all text between character 4921 and 6534. The text blocks are FASTA-format sequence of whole chromosomes, so basically a million A, T, G, C, combinations. E.g: >Chr_1 ACCTGTTCAACTCTCAGGACTCTCAGGTCAACTCTCAG... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Twinklefingers
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract First character in Second column

Hi, I need to extract the first character of second column of my file. If the condition matches, then I need to print the 2nd and 3rd column as my output I tried below mentioned query but it was not working awk -F'|' '$2~/^5/' Sgn_group.txt File Name : Sgn_group.txt country... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: suresh_target
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use substr to extract character between two semicolon?

Dear folks Hello I have a data set which one of the column of this data set are string and I want to extract numbers which is between two ":". However, I know the substr command which will do this operation but my problem is the numbers between two ":" have different digits. this will make my... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: sajmar
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract all first numeric character from a string

Hello, I have a file of strings a below:- 4358RYFHD9845 28/COC/UYF984 9834URD 98HJDU I need to extract all the first numeric character of every sting as follows:- 4358 28 9834 thanks to suggest ASAP Regards, Jasi Use code tags, thanks. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jassi10781
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract every 6-th character in a line?

Hi, I have a file consist of 25000 lines and each line has 2 columns 1 column with 6 numeric characters and 2nd one with 45000 numeric characters (not delimited). I want to take every 7th character form the 2nd column, keeping the first column. I made it in several steps but it run for 7 hours to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: SANDO
7 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					    SHELL-QUOTE(1)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.16.3 2010-06-11 SHELL-QUOTE(1)