Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Condition test ( [[ ]] ) doubt Post 302132448 by thambi on Friday 17th of August 2007 02:52:59 AM
Old 08-17-2007

Thanks. What is the difference between "[[ ]]" and "if" ?.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help with test condition in shell script

I'm new to scripting and I need help with a bourn shell script. What i'm trying to do is a test condition where "if the time is within 2 hours, it's true" and so on. The time is in the following format DATE=`/bin/date +"%Y%m%d%H%S"` for example, 20060907152000. So, what the script first... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: pieman8080
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

test and if condition

Guys look at this: i have to write a script that takes a file as an argument. The script should be able to determine what permissions the owner, group and everybody has for the file passed in. The output should be displayed similar to this. READ WRITE EXECUTE OWNER LEE.BALLANCORE YES YES NO... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ciroredz
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Condition test

Hi there, When I try to do a condition on test: $ str1=abcd $ test $str1 $ echo $? 0 Is there anyway to display the answer to be 'TRUE' or 'YES'? rather than 0? If so, how can I do it without using awk or sed. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: felixwhoals
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

IF condition doubt

Hi i found the following code in a date calculation script. if ((!(year%100))); then ((!(year%400))) && leap=1 else ((!(year%4))) && leap=1 fi I have not find such an use of if statement till now. As for my knowledge this is the syntax of if statement if then ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ravi raj kumar
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Test condition

Hello, what is the better and correct way to perform a comparison: I have been using the following with no problems: if ] then .... fi I have seen this also used : if then .... fi When I try : if then .... fi I get an error like .... the test condition expects a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gio001
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

test condition

Hi there, I tried to search for this almost everywhere, but didnt get any proper information on it. What is the difference between ] Some of the code works when I have only single condition i.e. ] && $dothis1 || $dothis2 But if i try to include another testcondition to the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tostay2003
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check weather a string is like test* or test* ot *test* in if condition

How to check weather a string is like test* or test* ot *test* in if condition (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnjerome
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Simple negated test condition

Without grep, I'd like to make a test condition so that any a word that does not have the successive letters car in it will be echoed. for example, bluecar will contain "car" so it will show up as a no var=bluecar $ echo $var|if ]; then echo "yes";fi yes this variable contains "car" so I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

For loop/while condition - doubt

hi., As we know that using for-loop or while condition, we can only process one by one sequentially, but , lets say this example : 1. under the folder "logs" there are 1000 files 2. each file has one record or line 3. have to perform atleast 7 queries per 3 seconds ,for instance ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alnhk
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Test a condition for n times and take action

i have to test a condition for n times and if its value is greater than one each time for continuous 5 iterations it will take action My Approach run the same command 5 times in for loop and divert the output to a file and then read the values from file and use if else if and take action ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abhaydas
1 Replies
MAKEACTIVE(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     MAKEACTIVE(8)

NAME
makeactive - tool to recover Usenet active file. SYNOPSIS
makeactive [ -m ] [ -o ] DESCRIPTION
Makeactive invokes find(1) to get a list of all directories in the news spool tree, /var/spool/news. It discards directories named lost+found as well as those that have a period in them. It scans all other directories for all-numeric filenames and determines the high- est and lowest number. The program's output is a set of active(5) file lines. Because there is no way to know if a group is moderated or disabled, the fourth field of all entries will be y. Also, mid-level directories that aren't newsgroups will also created as newsgroups with no entries (for example, there is a ``comp.sources.unix'' group, but no ``comp.sources''). OPTIONS
-m If the ``-m'' flag is given, then makeactive will attempt to adjust the highest and lowest article numbers wherever possible. If articles are found in a newsgroup, the numbers will reflect what what was found. If no articles are found in a newsgroup, the high number from the old file will be kept, and the low number will be set to one more then the high number. This flag may only be used if the ``-o'' flag is used. -o If the ``-o'' flag is used, makeactive will read an existing active file for the list of group names and just renumber all groups. It will preserve the fourth field of the active file if one is present. This is analogous to the ctlinnd(8) ``renumber'' command, except that innd(8) should throttled or not running. Do not use this flag with output redirected to the standard active file! EXIT STATUS
Makeactive exits with non-zero status if any problems occurred. EXAMPLES
A typical way to use the program is with the following /bin/sh commands: ctlinnd throttle "Rebuilding active file" TEMP=${TMPDIR-/var/spool/news/in.coming/tmp}/act$$ if [ -f /var/lib/news/active ] ; then if makeactive -o >${TEMP} ; then mv ${TEMP} /var/lib/news/active fi else if makeactive >${TEMP} ; then # Edit to restore moderated # and aliased groups. ... mv ${TEMP} /var/lib/news/active fi fi ctlinnd reload active "New active file" ctlinnd go '' HISTORY
Written by Rich $alz <rsalz@uunet.uu.net> for InterNetNews. This is revision 1.3, dated 1996/10/29. SEE ALSO
active(5), ctlinnd(8), dbz(3), filechan(8), history(5), innd(8), newsfeeds(5), makehistory(8), newsrequeue(8). MAKEACTIVE(8)