Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers total number of files which have "aaa" in files whose names are File*_bbb* Post 302132353 by sudheshnaiyer on Thursday 16th of August 2007 02:00:37 PM
Old 08-16-2007
total number of files which have "aaa" in files whose names are File*_bbb*

I am getting the list of all the files which have "aaa" from files whose name is File*_bbb*.

grep -l "aaa" File*_bbb*

But I want to count the number of files. That is I want the total number of files which have "aaa" in
files File*_bbb*

If I run the following for getting number of files, I am getting 0 files returned.
grep "aaa" File*_bbb* | wc -l

So how do I get the total number of files which have "aaa" in files whose names are File*_bbb*

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shell script to replace a line contain an unkown pattern starting with "aaa, bbb"

Hello, can any one help me on this? I have a /etc/exports file, it may contain a line (I can not remember exactly). Let me use an a sample file myfile.txt which contains a line * mypattern uncertain key words I want this line (with any possible combination of the uncertain key words to be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dingrong
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix commands delete all files starting with "X" except "X" itself. HELP!!!!?

im a new student in programming and im stuck on this question so please please HELP ME. thanks. the question is this: enter a command to delete all files that have filenames starting with labtest, except labtest itself (delete all files startign with 'labtest' followed by one or more... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: soccerball
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to find all files containing "1234" in their inode number?

Hi, if there are 3 files with the following inode numbers: 012345 012346 012347 is there a way to find all those files containing "1234" as inode? i found out that i cant use any wildcards. or i just didnt put them in the right way. find . -inum ... ? thanks 4 help. devil (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: daredevil82m
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete files older than "x" if directory size is greater than "y"

I wrote a script to delete files which are older than "x" days, if the size of the directory is greater than "y" #!/bin/bash du -hs $1 while read SIZE ENTRY do if ; then find $1 -mtime +$2 -exec rm -f {} \; echo "Files older than $2 days deleted" else echo "free Space available"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesCarter
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explanation of "total" field in "ls -l" command output

When I do a listing in one particular directory (ls -al) I get: total 43456 drwxrwxrwx 2 root root 4096 drwxrwxrwx 3 root root 4096 -rwxrwxr-x 1 nobody nobody 3701594 -rwxrwxr-x 1 nobody nobody 3108510 -rwxrwxr-x 1 nobody nobody 3070580 -rwxrwxr-x 1 nobody nobody 3099733 -rwxrwxr-x 1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

"Join" or "Merge" more than 2 files into single output based on common key (column)

Hi All, I have working (Perl) code to combine 2 input files into a single output file using the join function that works to a point, but has the following limitations: 1. I am restrained to 2 input files only. 2. Only the "matched" fields are written out to the "matched" output file and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Katabatic
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

8. Red Hat

files having Script which works behind "who" & "w" commands

Dear All, plz print the path of files which have the script of "who" & "w" commands. thnx in advance. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: saqlain.bashir
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare Only "File Names" in 2 Files with file lists having different directory structure

I have a tar arcive arch_all.tar.gz and 4 batched tar archive . These batches are supposed to have all the files form arch1.all.tar.gz arch1_batch1.tar.gz arch1_batch2.tar.gz arch1_batch3.tar.gz arch1_batch4.tar.gz my issue is that the directory structure in "arch_all.tar.gz" is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumang24
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete all log files older than 10 day and whose first string of the first line is "MSH" or "<?xml"

Dear Ladies & Gents, I have a requirement to delete all the log files in /var/log/test directory that are older than 10 days and their first line begin with "MSH" or "<?xml" or "FHS". I've put together the following BASH script, but it's erroring out: for filename in $(find /var/log/test... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hiroshi
2 Replies
File::Find::Rule::Procedural(3) 			User Contributed Perl Documentation			   File::Find::Rule::Procedural(3)

NAME
File::Find::Rule::Procedural - File::Find::Rule's procedural interface SYNOPSIS
use File::Find::Rule; # find all .pm files, procedurally my @files = find(file => name => '*.pm', in => @INC); DESCRIPTION
In addition to the regular object-oriented interface, File::Find::Rule provides two subroutines for you to use. "find( @clauses )" "rule( @clauses )" "find" and "rule" can be used to invoke any methods available to the OO version. "rule" is a synonym for "find" Passing more than one value to a clause is done with an anonymous array: my $finder = find( name => [ '*.mp3', '*.ogg' ] ); "find" and "rule" both return a File::Find::Rule instance, unless one of the arguments is "in", in which case it returns a list of things that match the rule. my @files = find( name => [ '*.mp3', '*.ogg' ], in => $ENV{HOME} ); Please note that "in" will be the last clause evaluated, and so this code will search for mp3s regardless of size. my @files = find( name => '*.mp3', in => $ENV{HOME}, size => '<2k' ); ^ | Clause processing stopped here ------/ It is also possible to invert a single rule by prefixing it with "!" like so: # large files that aren't videos my @files = find( file => '!name' => [ '*.avi', '*.mov' ], size => '>20M', in => $ENV{HOME} ); AUTHOR
Richard Clamp <richardc@unixbeard.net> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2003 Richard Clamp. All Rights Reserved. This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
File::Find::Rule perl v5.16.2 2011-09-19 File::Find::Rule::Procedural(3)