Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Maximum size of a file in unix Post 302132257 by lowbyte on Thursday 16th of August 2007 04:55:21 AM
Old 08-16-2007
Hey,

it's different for the Unix Version you have,
modern Unixes have filesizes of 4 TB.

CU
lowbyte

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Maximum size of sed file...

The sed -f option (reading sed commands from a file) seems to have a limit of 200 transactions per file. I can't see anything in the man pages about this restriction. I have a file with several thousand sed commands I need to perform (substitutions) - and while I can split the file into... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: peter.herlihy
14 Replies

2. Programming

Maximum File Size

Hi, When i checked for the maximum file size on solaris 5.9 the max file size obtained was only 2147483647 and all the further writes to the file which had reached that max size is not added to that file. even i had registered the signal SIGXFSZ, but the signal was not delivered to the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: matrixmadhan
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Maximum input file size in "Diff" Command

Hello, Can anyone let me know what is the maximum file size that can be given as input for the "Diff" Command in Unix? I have a file size as large as 28MB and which can also increase. Will I face any issues with such a file size. If yes, What is the other alternative. Thanks in advance for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Neeraja
1 Replies

4. HP-UX

Mailx Maximum attachment size

Hi friends, what is the maximum allowable attachment size, we can send using mailx command. what is an alternate option if my file is > than that size? thanks sreeji (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreejithau
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

maximum tar file size?

Is there a reasonable maximum limit for tar file sizes? I want to transfer a pile of files from one server to another but have restricted means, so tarring them first will probably be best... but how big can I go - both for the file format itself and for the operating system (linux) to handle? ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bobby
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix shell script for finding top ten files of maximum size

I need to write a Unix shell script which will list top 10 files in a directory tree on basis of size. i.e. first file should be the biggest in the whole directory and all its sub directories. Please suggest any ideas (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhilashnair
10 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Maximum file size ????

Hi All, - block size of 512KB & every address requires 4 bits - The inode structure contains 10 direct pointers, 1 single indirect, 1 double indirect & 1 triple indirect pointer What could be the possible maximum file size for this system Any guess? I am unable to understand the question... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: preethgideon
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to identify maximum stack size?

Hi All, I have set max stack size as 4KB for my thread, but it always using very less. So I like to know what is the maximum stack size is used by my thread. I tried with gcc -fstack-usage command line option, but its not supported by mips. Kindly suggest me the way to find the max stack... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajamohan
6 Replies

9. Programming

Maximum buffer size for read()

Hi friends, Hope everybody is fine. First have a look at my code, then we will talk about it. $ cat copy.c #include <stdio.h> #define PERMS 0644 /* RW for owner, R for group, others */ #define BUFSIZE 1 char *progname; int main(int argc,char * argv) { int f1, f2, n; ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gabam
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Maximum size of attachment in mail

Hi Friends, My requirment is to Query the oracle database , generate the file change the extension to .csv and send to clients automatically everyday. However i am able to perform the task. But sometimes when the file size is getting increased more than 1 MB then the mail is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Showdown
5 Replies
tofrodos(1)						      General Commands Manual						       tofrodos(1)

NAME
tofrodos - Converts text files between DOS and Unix formats. SYNOPSIS
fromdos [ options ] [file...] todos [ options ] [file...] DESCRIPTION
DOS text files traditionally have carriage return and line feed pairs as their newline characters while Unix text files have the line feed as their newline character. fromdos converts text files from the DOS format to the Unix format, while todos converts text files from the Unix format to the DOS format. The programs accept multiple filenames and wildcards as their arguments. You may also use them in a pipe. If either program finds its input redirected, it will process stdin and place the output on stdout. OPTIONS
-a Always convert. If converting from DOS to Unix, this option will cause the program to remove ALL carriage returns. The default is to remove carriage returns only if they are followed by line feeds. If converting from Unix to DOS, this option will cause the program to convert ALL linefeeds to carriage return pairs. The default is to convert linefeeds only if they are not already preceded by a carriage return. -b Make a backup of original file. The original file is renamed with the original filename and a .bak extension. For example, a file called "filename.ext" becomes "filename.ext.bak". Important: the program behaves differently if it is compiled for DOS (as compared to being compiled for Windows, Linux, Mac OS X or other systems). In view of the filename restrictions present on DOS, the DOS exe- cutable will strip the original file extension, if any, from the file before appending the .bak extension. For example, "file- name.ext" becomes "filename.bak". -d Convert from DOS to Unix. This forces the program to convert the file in a particular direction. By default, if the program is named fromdos or dos2unix, it will assume that the input file is in a DOS format and convert it to a Unix format. If the program is named todos or unix2dos, it will assume that the input file is in a Unix format and convert it to a DOS format. Using the -d option forces the program to convert from a DOS format to a Unix format regardless of how the program is named. Likewise, using the -u option forces the program to convert from a Unix format to a DOS format regardless of the name of the program. -e Abort processing on any error in any file. Normally, the program will simply skip to process the next file on the command line when it encounters any errors. This option causes it to abort on errors. -f Force: convert even if the file is not writeable (read-only). By default, if fromdos or todos finds that the file does not have write permission, it will not process that file. This option forces the conversion even if the file is read-only. -h Display a short help screen on the program usage and quit. -l<logfile> Log error messages to <logfile>. Note that if your command line has an error, such as when you specify an unknown option, the error message for the command line option error will be issued to stderr instead and not logged. -o Overwrite the original file (no backup). This is the default. -p Preserve file ownership and time. On systems like Linux, the file ownership will only be preserved if the user is root, otherwise it will just set the file time and silently fail the change of file ownership. If you want a warning message when the file ownership cannot be changed, use -v. -u Convert from Unix to DOS. See the -d option above for more information. -v Verbose. -V Show version message and quit. AUTHOR
The program and its documentation are copyrighted (c) 1996-2008 by Christopher Heng. All rights reserved. They are distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License Version 2. The latest version of tofrodos can be obtained from http://www.thefreecountry.com/tofrodos/index.shtml 2011 Version 1.7.9 tofrodos(1)