Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Connecting to SUN server from PC Post 302132196 by porter on Wednesday 15th of August 2007 10:33:59 PM
Old 08-15-2007
You certainly can.

First do "ifconfig -a" to see what ethernet cards you have.

Then create a /etc/hostname.ifname where ifname is the name of the interface. for example

/etc/hostname.le0
/etc/hostname.hme0

or whatever.

Put in that file the hostname of the machine, and then put an entry in the /etc/hosts file. Do a reboot and it should configure the ethernet card.

There is more you can do to set up the netmask, nodename and /etc/resolve.conf, do a search of this site for details.

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Connecting to UNIX server

Hi, My knowledge bucket of UNIX is almost empty. I have developed an application in EXCEL which can create XML files (Metadata) from Binaries. These binaries are stored in UNIX server on regular intervals. Currently I am transferring all binaries(GBs of files) to WINDOWS using WINSCP and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobs
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Problem with connecting with Sun Java Web console

Hi, I have Solaris 10 8/07 on SPARC and I can't log in Web console. When I opened browser (Firefox 3) at localhost:6789 I get Save file dialog which asks me to save some file with .part at the end. What information should I provide to find out where is the trouble?.. Internet explorer says... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sapfeer
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Connecting to other server thru ftp

Hi, Can someone help me on how to ftp to UNIX server from an another UNIX Server. I tried the follwoing but it is not working. ftp -n 10.10.0.1 quote user usrname quote pass passwd ls Though ftp is starting it is not allowing me run command..... it is asking to Thanks in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: EmbedUX
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Connecting to Windows Server

Hi, One of the folders in UNIX is mapped with a drive on Windows.From this UNIX machine I want to connect to the Windows Server, perform some checks and view the results back on the UNIX machine. For e.g. if I touch a file under the shared folder on UNIX, I should be able to telnet to Windows... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: swasid
2 Replies

5. Hardware

SUN V245 Connecting To router Through Alom

Hello. I have a sun v245 and I have no hard drive for it yet but i would like to connect it to my home router by ethernet cable so I can use Alom remotely. Could someone please tell me how to set it up. Thank You (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SunV245
1 Replies
nca.if(4)							   File Formats 							 nca.if(4)

NAME
nca.if - the NCA configuration file that specifies physical interfaces SYNOPSIS
/etc/nca/nca.if DESCRIPTION
Specify the physical interfaces for which the Solaris Network Cache and Accelerator ("NCA") feature will be configured in the nca.if con- figuration file. List the physical interfaces in the file, one per line. To configure NCA to listen on all physical interfaces present on the system backed by a hostname.{interface_name}, then list only an asterik ("*") in nca.if. When the ncakmod(1) initialization script is invoked during system boot, it will attempt to configure each physical interface specified in the nca.if file by using ncaconfd(1M). Note that there must be an accompanying hostname.{interface_name} file and an entry in /etc/hosts for the contents of hostname.{interface_name}. You must reboot in order to implement changes to the nca.if file. EXAMPLES
x86 Example 1: nca.if on x86 The following is an example of an nca.if file that would be used on an x86 system: iprb1 iprb6 iprb8 SPARC Example 2: nca.if on SPARC The following is an example of an nca.if file that would be used on a SPARC system: hme2 hme3 hme4 All Platforms Example 3: Configuring NCA to Listen on All Physical Interfaces The following example shows the contents of an nca.if file that would be used to configure either platform to listen on all physical inter- faces present on the system: * FILES
/etc/nca/nca.if Lists the physical interfaces on which NCA will run. /etc/hostname.{}{0-9} Lists all physical interfaces configured on the server. /etc/hosts Lists all host names associated with the server. Entries in this file must match with entries in /etc/host- name.{}{0-9} for NCA to function. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWncar | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
nca(1), ncab2clf(1), ncakmod(1), ifconfig(1M), ncakmod.conf(4), ncalogd.conf(4), attributes(5) System Administration Guide: IP Services SunOS 5.10 18 Feb 2003 nca.if(4)