Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: setting acl on linux
Operating Systems Linux setting acl on linux Post 302132127 by blowtorch on Wednesday 15th of August 2007 11:04:28 AM
Old 08-15-2007
Check the mount options for your filesystem. It maybe mounted as "noacl".

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

setting ACL's

Hi all, How can I set default owning user and default owning group with setfacl on Solaris 2.6 and up ? My idea is, that when a file is created by user x, and the default owning user is y, the ownership is set to y. This option is visible in the filemanager, though not editable. I can't find... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: andy_kann
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Setting up Linux as a RAS - is is possible?

I need to setup my Linux Server as a RAS, does anyone know how to do it? I have just spent all my money on my hardware setupand an ADSL line, things where I live are VERY expensive. I need to setup my RedHat 7.3 server to be a RAS for myself and my business partner, can anyone please redirect me... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: leonpmu
7 Replies

3. AIX

setting acl

Hi, I want to know how to set acl in aix via smitty and shell prompt, wheather we needs to install additional packages. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

setting up ACL in Apache

Folks; How can i setup ACL in Apache so i can give a group of users (defined by their emails (all users under *@red.com) access to a web page? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: moe2266
10 Replies

5. Debian

How to enable and use ACL's in Linux

Hi, How to enable and use ACL's in linux. Thx, siva. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sivaswami
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

setting account (linux)

hi How can I set an account so that it expires at a particular date? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tjay83
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting up Linux.

Dear Administrators and Moderators, Normally I use Windows for browsing net, but few days back my pc was affected with virus. One of my friend suggested me to use Linux for safe browsing. I would like to know 1. I have Mandrake 8.2(HDD) and Obuntu 9.x(CD) - which one is better (have limited... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kesari
1 Replies

8. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Linux mount cifs with Windows ACL support

I'm in the process of migrating my windows file servers to a Ubuntu Samba server. My plan is to use cp -Rp to copy all the mounted files to the proper directory on my Ubuntu server. I can mount them just fine but if I run getfacl against a mounted directory its not showing any of my Windows... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: binary-ninja
0 Replies

9. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Linux ACL issue

Hi All, I have an issue with linux acls, though I have implemented them I failed to foresee the issue.Now the server is in production and I would have to take down time to rectify it. And I hereby declare that this is not homework. The situation is as such I have a file system mounted with... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: maverick_here
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Help setting ACL's

Folks, Solaris 10 issue When I add a new directory to a path, I only get the "group@" line in the ACL The parent directory ACL is drwxrws---+ 12 root teama 12 Jul 18 10:31 . owner@:rwxp-DaARWc---:------:allow group@:rwxp-DaARWc--s:fd----:allow ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wilberforce
0 Replies
VOP_SETACL(9)						   BSD Kernel Developer's Manual					     VOP_SETACL(9)

NAME
VOP_SETACL -- set the access control list for a vnode SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/param.h> #include <sys/vnode.h> #include <sys/acl.h> int VOP_SETACL(struct vnode *vp, acl_type_t type, struct acl *aclp, struct ucred *cred, struct thread *td); DESCRIPTION
This vnode call may be used to set the access control list (ACL) for a file or directory. Its arguments are: vp The vnode of the file or directory. type The type of ACL to set. aclp A pointer to an ACL structure from which to retrieve the ACL data. cred The user credentials to use in authorizing the request. td The thread setting the ACL. The aclp pointer may be NULL to indicate that the specified ACL should be deleted. The cred pointer may be NULL to indicate that access control checks are not to be performed, if possible. This cred setting might be used to allow the kernel to authorize ACL changes that the active process might not be permitted to make. The vnode ACL interface defines the syntax, and not semantics, of file and directory ACL interfaces. More information about ACL management in kernel may be found in acl(9). LOCKS
The vnode will be locked on entry and should remain locked on return. RETURN VALUES
If the ACL is successfully set, then zero is returned. Otherwise, an appropriate error code is returned. ERRORS
[EINVAL] The ACL type passed is invalid for this vnode, or the ACL data is invalid. [EACCES] The the caller does not have the appropriate privilege. [ENOMEM] Sufficient memory is not available to fulfill the request. [EOPNOTSUPP] The file system does not support VOP_SETACL(). [ENOSPC] The file system is out of space. [EROFS] The file system is read-only. SEE ALSO
acl(9), vnode(9), VOP_ACLCHECK(9), VOP_GETACL(9) AUTHORS
This manual page was written by Robert Watson. BSD
December 23, 1999 BSD