Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers My ps -ef|grep command results are chopped off Post 302131927 by bsp18974 on Tuesday 14th of August 2007 10:32:18 AM
Old 08-14-2007
My ps -ef|grep command results are chopped off

On our one HP-UX 11i box, we have some very long paths defined. When I want to check on our user processes running, the resulting paths are chopped off. /xyz/abc/123/......./server/b is really a process running in the ..../server/bin directory. Is this a terminal problem or buffer length problem? And, how can I see the rest of the path and process name?

Thanks,
Brian

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

diffrent results between command line and scripted grep

When I type a command at the command line it supplies one result and the exact same command in a script egrep '^01|^02|^03|^04' file > fileout count = 29353 same count in the script yields a count of 23492 is there any reason this could be happening. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: r1500
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to refine results of grep -p

I need help to further reduce the output shown below. I want to be able to only return the paragraph where the 'Database alias' is exactly equal to DBIHP. I do not want the other paragraphs being shown below. $ echo $dbalias DBIHP $ db2 list db directory|grep -p 'Database alias ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: priceb
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Trailing spaces chopped off - MF to Unix FTP.

We receive fixed width ASCII (not EBCIDIC) file from MF to UNIX server. We have trailing spaces in the file. What happens during FTP transmission, those trailing spaces gets chopped off. Is there any option in FTP when to transfer file from mainframes to unix not to chop off those spaces? (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: videsh77
14 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Pipe results of Grep Command to LS Comand

I'm using the command grep -l XYZ to get a list of files containing the string XYZ. Then I using the comand ls -l ABC to get the create date timestamp of the each file. I've tried combining the comands using the pipe command, grep -l XYZ | ls -l, but its not working. What am I doing wrong? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhtate
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Acting on results from a grep command

Hi, I am currently reading a tar file and searching for a particular word using grep e.g. Plane. At the moment, if a sentence is found with the word "Plane" the sentence itself is piped to another file. Here is the code i am using; for jar in 'cat jar_file.tar'; do tar -tvf... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: crunchie
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep no results

Hello guys, I have been looking around but can't find the answer to my problem: If the grep command displays no results, print "no results have been found" and increment x. But if the grep command find something, do nothing. if echo "no results have been found $x" x=`expr $x + 1 `... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Benou
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to do ls -l on results of grep and find?

Hi, Am running the command below to search for files that contains a certain string. grep -il "shutdown" `find . -type f -mtime -1 -print` | grep "^./scripts/active" How do I get it to do a ls -l on the list of files? I tried doing ls -l `grep -il "shutdown" `find . -type f -mtime -1... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to analyse results of grep

Hi all, I'm working with a peice of software that runs on Linux that allows planning trips in cars through maps. This software has different variations depending on the type of car, e.g. BMW, Audi, Hyundai, etc... Each variation has a dependency on common external components that are not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: emoshaya
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cannot get results from grep command

Hi, i have a file hello.log which as several line that look like the below 2015-12-07 09:46:56 0:339 120.111.12.12 POST /helloWorld 2015-12-07 09:46:57 0:439 122.111.12.12 POST /helloWorld .... when i grep expecting to see results like the below. ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Grep command to show the number of results

Hi I wanted to know if there is an option in grep command to show the number of results (not the number of lines of findings). Thanks (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: abdossamad2003
14 Replies
BOS_RESTART(8)						       AFS Command Reference						    BOS_RESTART(8)

NAME
bos_restart - Restarts a server process SYNOPSIS
bos restart -server <machine name> [-instance <instances>+] [-bosserver] [-all] [-cell <cell name>] [-noauth] [-localauth] [-help] bos res -s <machine name> [-i <instances>+] [-b] [-a] [-c <cell name>] [-n] [-l] [-h] DESCRIPTION
The bos restart command stops and immediately restarts server processes on the server machine named by the -server argument. Indicate which process or processes to restart by providing one of the following arguments: o The -instance argument names each AFS server process to stop and restart immediately, regardless of its status flag in the /etc/openafs/BosConfig file. Do not include bosserver in the list of processes; use the -bosserver flag instead. o The -bosserver flag stops all AFS server processes running on the machine, including the BOS Server. A new BOS Server starts immediately, and it starts a new instance of each process that is marked with the "Run" status flag in the BosConfig file. o The -all flag stops all AFS server processes running on the machine, except the BOS Server, and immediately restarts the processes that are marked with the "Run" status flag in the BosConfig file. This command does not change a process's status flag in the BosConfig file. OPTIONS
-server <machine name> Indicates the server machine on which to restart each process. Identify the machine by IP address or its host name (either fully- qualified or abbreviated unambiguously). For details, see bos(8). -instance <instances>+ Names each process to stop and then restart immediately regardless of its status flag setting. Use the process name assigned with the -instance argument to the bos create command. The output from the bos status command lists the names. Provide this flag or one of the -bosserver or -all options, but do not combine them. -bosserver Stops all AFS server processes running on the machine, including the BOS Server. A new BOS Server instance immediately starts, and starts all processes marked with the "Run" status flag in the BosConfig file. Provide this flag or one of the -instance or -all options, but do not combine them. -all Stops all AFS server processes running on the machine other than the BOS Server, and immediately restarts the processes marked with the Run status flag in the BosConfig file. Provide this flag or one of the -instance or -bosserver options, but do not combine them. -cell <cell name> Names the cell in which to run the command. Do not combine this argument with the -localauth flag. For more details, see bos(8). -noauth Assigns the unprivileged identity "anonymous" to the issuer. Do not combine this flag with the -localauth flag. For more details, see bos(8). -localauth Constructs a server ticket using a key from the local /etc/openafs/server/KeyFile file. The bos command interpreter presents the ticket to the BOS Server during mutual authentication. Do not combine this flag with the -cell or -noauth options. For more details, see bos(8). -help Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored. EXAMPLES
The following command stops and restarts all processes running on the machine "fs3.abc.com", including the BOS Server. % bos restart -server fs3.abc.com -bosserver The following command stops and restarts all processes running on the machine "fs5.abc.com", excluding the BOS Server. % bos restart -server fs5.abc.com -all The following command stops and restarts the Protection Server and Volume Location (VL) Server processes on the machine "db3.abc.com": % bos restart -server db3.abc.com -instance ptserver vlserver PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
The issuer must be listed in the /etc/openafs/server/UserList file on the machine named by the -server argument, or must be logged onto a server machine as the local superuser "root" if the -localauth flag is included. SEE ALSO
BosConfig(5), KeyFile(5), UserList(5), bos(8), bos_create(8), bos_status(8) COPYRIGHT
IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved. This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0. It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell. OpenAFS 2012-03-26 BOS_RESTART(8)