Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting créating a daemon under unix Post 302131606 by ankitecian on Monday 13th of August 2007 01:43:59 AM
Old 08-13-2007
Hi

Unix Daemon Server Programming

use fork to create a child process and then exit the parent process

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Should a UNIX daemon process close open fds?

I have a UNIX daemon process that's been started by a parent process, an application server. The behavior of this daemon process is to inherit and use the app server's file descriptors (ports/sockets). When I shutdown the app server, the daemon continues to run, because there may be other... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kunalashar
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating a Daemon??

How in the world do you create a daemon and get it to start with a startup script? could someone tell me in detail im going nuts...thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nmajin
1 Replies

3. Programming

Creating a Daemon

how to convert a c program into a Daemon. thanks in advance svh (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: svh
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I would like to know Would you run the ‘identd’ daemon on UNIX servers?

Would you run the ‘identd' daemon on UNIX servers? can you please Explain. thanks in advance! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xoxouu
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to write a daemon in Unix?

Hi I have a directory where sometimes a file will come (in a name format say file001.txt). I want to run a job (.ksh file) as soon as a new file comes into the directory. How can I write a shell script which will run in the background and monitor arrival of new file in the directory? ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbasak
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to write daemon in UNIX

Hi Guys, I hope this is the right forum to post this. I have a directory where files will be dumped at any time of the day and I want to run scripts as soon as new files come into the directory. How can I write a daemon that detects when new files have been uploaded to the directory? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: regie101
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating a daemon to run in background

I am trying to create a service to always run and monitor a script that has a tendency to hang, we could not find what is causing it to hang so are in the process of completely reprogramming just about everything, however, that will take upto 6 months. So I need to create this to monitor the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ukndoit
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating a backup of UNIX--Need help

My company has a client that has mostly windows machines but has 1 Unix machine(still trying to find out what version..Solaris, AIX, etc) and they want me to do a full backup of this Unix machine and store it on one of their windows servers. Is there a not too difficult way of doing this? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: seanbl
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting up a Daemon in UNIX

I have scheduled a crontab job in AIX 6.1 OS to run twice in an hour which runs for the whole day to process a load. The load which crontab kicks off needs files to arrive at a particular directory and if the files arrive, I process them. It so happens that for the 24 times the crontab... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gaugeta
2 Replies
UUIDD(8)						      System Manager's Manual							  UUIDD(8)

NAME
uuidd - UUID generation daemon SYNOPSIS
uuidd [-d] [-p pidfile] [-s socketpath] [-T timeout] uuidd [-r|-t] [-n number] [-s socketpath] uuidd -k DESCRIPTION
The uuidd daemon is used by the UUID library to generate universally unique identifiers (UUIDs), especially time-based UUIDs, in a secure and guaranteed-unique fashion, even in the face of large numbers of threads running on different CPUs trying to grab UUIDs. OPTIONS
-d Run uuidd in debugging mode. This prevents uuidd from running as a daemon. -k If currently a uuidd daemon is running, kill it. -n number When issuing a test request to a running uuidd, request a bulk response of number UUIDs. -p pidfile Specify the pathname where the pid file should be written. By default, the pid file is written to /var/run/uuidd/uuidd.pid. -s socketpath Specify the pathname used for the unix-domain socket used by uuidd. By default, the pathname used is /var/run/uuidd/request. This is primarily for debugging purposes, since the pathname is hard-coded in the libuuid library. -r Test uuidd by trying to connect to a running uuidd daemon and request it to return a random-based UUID. -t Test uuidd by trying to connect to a running uuidd daemon and request it to return a time-based UUID. -T timeout Specify a timeout for uuidd. If specified, then uuidd will exit after timeout seconds of inactivity. -q Turn on quiet flag. AUTHOR
The uuidd daemon was written by Theodore Ts'o <tytso@mit.edu>. AVAILABILITY
uuidd is part of the util-linux package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. SEE ALSO
uuid(3), uuidgen(1) Linux May 2009 UUIDD(8)