Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers tar: blocksize = 0 - Error message? Post 302131537 by hegemaro on Saturday 11th of August 2007 05:45:12 PM
Old 08-11-2007
I have only seen the "tar: blocksize = 0" message when the tar file being extracted is zero-length. Is it possible in the script you are specifying another file by mistake or, perhaps, the tar filename is correct but is actually zero-length at that time?

If it works manually, I suspect there is an error in the script. Try doing an "ls -l file.tar" immediately before the tar list in the script to verify its size.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

Message with tar

Hello everbody Im trying to use tar for a file. for example test.tar and I use tar xvf test.tar and start to extract, but suddenly appear this message tar:directory checksum error What this message means? and how I can extract my tar file without problems. Thanks in advance My... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Tar: tape blocksize error

When trying to extract a tar file in HP-UX using tar -xvf command it exits with the following error :"Tar: tape blocksize error". Tar file is created using the following command with MKS toolkit(Unix Simulation Kit for Windows env) under Windows 2000 Professional: "$tar -cvf test.tar test.txt... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramkumar
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Blocksize problem restoring file from tape

I was recently given the responsibility of the unix box at our work. Without much training, I now have to go back and restore a file from tape. I'm having some trouble with it. I'm getting an error with the blocksize. The part of the script that does the tar looks like this: tar cvfX... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: citrowske
11 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to change blocksize for in tar command

How can I change the blocksize in tar command? tar cvf test.tar backup.sh a backup.sh 1K If we need to set the blocksize to 20, how to do that? Please advise. Thank you. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: KhawHL
10 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tar: tape blocksize error

Hi, I have tar: tape blocksize error when launching # gunzip < TierDB.tar.gz |tar -xvf /data/ora/DREC tar: tape blocksize error Can you please help me ? It is urgent. Many thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: big123456
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar: blocksize

Hi, When doing tar -xvf to untar, some tar versions display the blocksize: “tar: blocksize = 6” my goal is to avoid this message. One way of doing it is to specify the blocksize: tar -xvfb <tar_file> 6 Is there a setting in tar or a tar version to avoid this type of message without... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
0 Replies

7. Solaris

Tar blockSize problem

Hi, i have got a tar file some 200MB big and i have ftp'ed the tar file over from one server to another but it does not seem to extract. its giving the following message: tar xvf saptar tar: blocksize = 2 Its the first time i used tar so I not got any ideas why its giving this message?... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptingmani
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f` only tar 1 file

Hi all, 4 files are returned when i issue 'find . -mtime -1 -type f -ls'. ./ora_475244.aud ./ora_671958.aud ./ora_934052.aud ./ora_934050.aud However, when I issued the below command: tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f`, the tar file only contains the 1st file -... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahSher
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar command to explore multiple layers of tar and tar.gz files

Hi all, I have a tar file and inside that tar file is a folder with additional tar.gz files. What I want to do is look inside the first tar file and then find the second tar file I'm looking for, look inside that tar.gz file to find a certain directory. I'm encountering issues by trying to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bashnewbee
1 Replies
GIT-TAR-TREE(1) 						    Git Manual							   GIT-TAR-TREE(1)

NAME
git-tar-tree - Create a tar archive of the files in the named tree object SYNOPSIS
git tar-tree [--remote=<repo>] <tree-ish> [ <base> ] DESCRIPTION
THIS COMMAND IS DEPRECATED. Use git archive with --format=tar option instead (and move the <base> argument to --prefix=base/). Creates a tar archive containing the tree structure for the named tree. When <base> is specified it is added as a leading path to the files in the generated tar archive. git tar-tree behaves differently when given a tree ID versus when given a commit ID or tag ID. In the first case the current time is used as modification time of each file in the archive. In the latter case the commit time as recorded in the referenced commit object is used instead. Additionally the commit ID is stored in a global extended pax header. It can be extracted using git get-tar-commit-id. OPTIONS
<tree-ish> The tree or commit to produce tar archive for. If it is the object name of a commit object. <base> Leading path to the files in the resulting tar archive. --remote=<repo> Instead of making a tar archive from local repository, retrieve a tar archive from a remote repository. CONFIGURATION
tar.umask This variable can be used to restrict the permission bits of tar archive entries. The default is 0002, which turns off the world write bit. The special value "user" indicates that the archiving user's umask will be used instead. See umask(2) for details. EXAMPLES
git tar-tree HEAD junk | (cd /var/tmp/ && tar xf -) Create a tar archive that contains the contents of the latest commit on the current branch, and extracts it in /var/tmp/junk directory. git tar-tree v1.4.0 git-1.4.0 | gzip >git-1.4.0.tar.gz Create a tarball for v1.4.0 release. git tar-tree v1.4.0^{tree} git-1.4.0 | gzip >git-1.4.0.tar.gz Create a tarball for v1.4.0 release, but without a global extended pax header. git tar-tree --remote=example.com:git.git v1.4.0 >git-1.4.0.tar Get a tarball v1.4.0 from example.com. git tar-tree HEAD:Documentation/ git-docs > git-1.4.0-docs.tar Put everything in the current head's Documentation/ directory into git-1.4.0-docs.tar, with the prefix git-docs/. GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 1.8.3.1 06/10/2014 GIT-TAR-TREE(1)