Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers got a basic doubt on cat-file permissions Post 302131460 by porter on Saturday 11th of August 2007 12:01:20 AM
Old 08-11-2007
It's nothing to do with cat.

If I do "cat file" then all I need is to read the file.

If I do "cat dir/file" then I need to first navigate through dir to get to file.

The execute permission on a directory allows this navigation.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

file permissions doubt

hi, i am working in hp ux 11i. 1). the command "ll" (-- long listing) shows the permissions of the files. i like to know.... the first letter of the permissions (prw------- and sometimes i get -r--r--r--) i like to know the first letter 'p' (i know for directories it will be 'd') ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sekar sundaram
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Certainly basic doubt about IF

On the below "IF" i test if the user have put the first argument. I also would like to test if the user have written a second argument. So, my doubt is: - How can i evaluate 2 conditions on a if statement? How is the OR created? - How can i to verify if the second argument is non... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tmxps
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell scripting basic doubt

Hi, I have a script called sam.sh which consists of a single echo statement like this #/usr/bin/ksh echo "Mani" I changed the mode for the script by giving chmod a+x sam.sh. If I want to execute the scrpt by just giving the name at the command line "sam.sh", what should I necessarily do?... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sendhilmani123
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

basic cat replace string

trying to exclude hostnames ending in "s" from a host file: # cat hosts ssef ssefd ssefsfff ssefsfs # for x in `cat hosts`; do echo "${x/*s}" ;done ef efd fff # How can I echo/or not echo only 'ssefsfs' ?? thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: prkfriryce
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Have a basic 'for i in cat list' - Trying to get i to be set to a name with a space

Hi Have a file called ldap.list: ****** "o=unix forum" o=groups ****** i wrote a basic script that runs: for i in `cat ldap.list` do ldapsearch -h host -p 389 -b $i THE PROBLEM: - It looks like when the for i in cat ldap.list runs, it doesn't seem to care about the " ", it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: littlefrog
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Basic SED doubt

Hi Friends!! I want to add a / at the end of a number. for example i have CQ65758 /, in this case i want to shift that backspace one space to the left so the my result becomes CQ65758/. How can i do that with sed. Thanks Adi (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: asirohi
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

The best way to skin a cat OR how do I get file system info on the most basic level?

Hi, We have an FTP server (vsftpd) running on Linux, that I've kinda built a "Data Management" system around. I could use some ideas as to the best way to handle/create "triggers" for file notifications. Internal users drag 'n drop files from their Windows boxes to the server via Samba... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mph
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script basic doubt

hi, I am new script learner, so my basic doubt is , how to store value of any command in a variable example $ ls | wc -l i want to stote the output of this in a variable c. so that i can use c in if else loop. and when do we use " ` " symbol in script.. can anyone also tell for... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hi2_t
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed basic doubt

Hi , what is the equivalent of below awk in sed. awk '$1=="ABC"&&$2=="XYZ" {print $0}' infile Thanks, Shruthi (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shruthidwh
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Basic doubt in UNIX

Hi, I'm new to this and very much interested to learn unix. Can any one explain me the symbols y we use this is scripting(~ and $). It would be great if some one explain with the eg. Thanks Naveen A (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pranaveen
2 Replies
ttk_image(3tk)							 Tk Themed Widget						    ttk_image(3tk)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
ttk_image - Define an element based on an image SYNOPSIS
ttk::style element create name image imageSpec ?options? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The image element factory creates a new element in the current theme whose visual appearance is determined by Tk images. imageSpec is a list of one or more elements. The first element is the default image name. The rest of the list is a sequence of statespec / value pairs specifying other images to use when the element is in a particular state or combination of states. OPTIONS
Valid options are: -border padding padding is a list of up to four integers, specifying the left, top, right, and bottom borders, respectively. See IMAGE STRETCHING, below. -height height Specifies a minimum height for the element. If less than zero, the base image's height is used as a default. -padding padding Specifies the element's interior padding. Defaults to -border if not specified. -sticky spec Specifies how the image is placed within the final parcel. spec contains zero or more characters "n", "s", "w", or "e". -width width Specifies a minimum width for the element. If less than zero, the base image's width is used as a default. IMAGE STRETCHING
If the element's allocated parcel is larger than the image, the image will be placed in the parcel based on the -sticky option. If the image needs to stretch horizontally (i.e., -sticky ew) or vertically (-sticky ns), subregions of the image are replicated to fill the par- cel based on the -border option. The -border divides the image into 9 regions: four fixed corners, top and left edges (which may be tiled horizontally), left and right edges (which may be tiled vertically), and the central area (which may be tiled in both directions). EXAMPLE
set img1 [image create photo -file button.png] set img2 [image create photo -file button-pressed.png] set img3 [image create photo -file button-active.png] style element create Button.button image [list $img1 pressed $img2 active $img3] -border {2 4} -sticky we SEE ALSO
ttk::intro(3tk), ttk::style(3tk), ttk_vsapi(3tk), image(3tk), photo(3tk) KEYWORDS
style, theme, appearance, pixmap theme, image Tk 8.5 ttk_image(3tk)