Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers got a basic doubt on cat-file permissions Post 302131459 by ranj@chn on Friday 10th of August 2007 11:10:26 PM
Old 08-11-2007
Thanks

Thanks for the reply. But does 'cat' move to the directory and then read the file. I was assuming that since 'read' permissions were available for the directory and the file, 'cat' should be able to print it put. How does 'cat' really work then?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

file permissions doubt

hi, i am working in hp ux 11i. 1). the command "ll" (-- long listing) shows the permissions of the files. i like to know.... the first letter of the permissions (prw------- and sometimes i get -r--r--r--) i like to know the first letter 'p' (i know for directories it will be 'd') ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sekar sundaram
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Certainly basic doubt about IF

On the below "IF" i test if the user have put the first argument. I also would like to test if the user have written a second argument. So, my doubt is: - How can i evaluate 2 conditions on a if statement? How is the OR created? - How can i to verify if the second argument is non... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tmxps
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell scripting basic doubt

Hi, I have a script called sam.sh which consists of a single echo statement like this #/usr/bin/ksh echo "Mani" I changed the mode for the script by giving chmod a+x sam.sh. If I want to execute the scrpt by just giving the name at the command line "sam.sh", what should I necessarily do?... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sendhilmani123
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

basic cat replace string

trying to exclude hostnames ending in "s" from a host file: # cat hosts ssef ssefd ssefsfff ssefsfs # for x in `cat hosts`; do echo "${x/*s}" ;done ef efd fff # How can I echo/or not echo only 'ssefsfs' ?? thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: prkfriryce
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Have a basic 'for i in cat list' - Trying to get i to be set to a name with a space

Hi Have a file called ldap.list: ****** "o=unix forum" o=groups ****** i wrote a basic script that runs: for i in `cat ldap.list` do ldapsearch -h host -p 389 -b $i THE PROBLEM: - It looks like when the for i in cat ldap.list runs, it doesn't seem to care about the " ", it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: littlefrog
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Basic SED doubt

Hi Friends!! I want to add a / at the end of a number. for example i have CQ65758 /, in this case i want to shift that backspace one space to the left so the my result becomes CQ65758/. How can i do that with sed. Thanks Adi (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: asirohi
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

The best way to skin a cat OR how do I get file system info on the most basic level?

Hi, We have an FTP server (vsftpd) running on Linux, that I've kinda built a "Data Management" system around. I could use some ideas as to the best way to handle/create "triggers" for file notifications. Internal users drag 'n drop files from their Windows boxes to the server via Samba... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mph
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script basic doubt

hi, I am new script learner, so my basic doubt is , how to store value of any command in a variable example $ ls | wc -l i want to stote the output of this in a variable c. so that i can use c in if else loop. and when do we use " ` " symbol in script.. can anyone also tell for... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hi2_t
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed basic doubt

Hi , what is the equivalent of below awk in sed. awk '$1=="ABC"&&$2=="XYZ" {print $0}' infile Thanks, Shruthi (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shruthidwh
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Basic doubt in UNIX

Hi, I'm new to this and very much interested to learn unix. Can any one explain me the symbols y we use this is scripting(~ and $). It would be great if some one explain with the eg. Thanks Naveen A (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pranaveen
2 Replies
pdebuild-user-mode-linux(1)					     pbuilder					       pdebuild-user-mode-linux(1)

NAME
pdebuild-user-mode-linux - pbuilder-user-mode-linux way of doing debuild SYNOPSIS
pdebuild-user-mode-linux [pdebuild-user-mode-linux options] -- [pbuilder-user-mode-linux options] DESCRIPTION
A convenience program for pbuilder-user-mode-linux which invokes pbuilder after obtaining appropriate root privilege in a Debian source directory. One must be inside the source tree containing the debian directory, in order to make it work. PDEBUILD OPTIONS
--buildsourceroot [fakeroot] The command used to gain root privilege for invoking dpkg-buildpackage --auto-debsign Invoke debsign at the end of pdebuild process. --debsign-k [key-id] Pass -k option to debsign to specify which keyid to sign. --buildresult [Directory for build results] The place which build result is stored. --configfile [Extra config file to use] The configuration file is used, but not passed on to pbuilder-user-mode-linux. --debbuildopts [options to pass to dpkg-buildpackage] The space-delimited list of options are passed to dpkg-buildpackage. This option appends to pbuilder option --debbuildopts and may also be used to reset the list of options by passing the empty string. --use-pdebuild-internal Uses a different implementation of pdebuild, which calls clean and build inside the chroot, using bind-mounts. pdebuild-internal tries to run debian/rules clean inside the chroot. To achieve the goal, the working directory is passed on inside the chroot, in the form of bind-mounting and debuild is run. This option will not protect the working directory and its parent directories from the build scripts. -- [pbuilder options] After the -- symbol, an arbitrary number of pbuilder options can be specified. See pbuilder-user-mode-linux.1 for full list of options. There is an exception that --buildresult needs to be specified as pdebuild option before the -- to be effective. FILES
/etc/pbuilderrc The configuration file for pbuilder-user-mode-linux, used in pdebuild-user-mode-linux. /usr/share/pbuilder/pbuilderrc The default configuration file for pbuilder-user-mode-linux, used in pdebuild-user-mode-linux. ${HOME}/.pbuilderrc Configuration file for pbuilder-user-mode-linux, used in pdebuild-user-mode-linux, overrides what is written in /etc/pbuilderrc AUTHOR
Initial coding, and main maintenance is done by Junichi Uekawa <dancer@debian.org>. The homepage is available at http://pbuilder.alioth.debian.org SEE ALSO
/usr/share/doc/pbuilder/pbuilder-doc.html, pbuilder-user-mode-linux(1), pbuilderrc(5), pbuilder-uml.conf(5) Debian 2006 May 24 pdebuild-user-mode-linux(1)