Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Where to find a working shell scriptor...without being on UNIX? Post 302131137 by kratka on Thursday 9th of August 2007 09:51:53 AM
Old 08-09-2007
Question Where to find a working shell scriptor...without being on UNIX?

Help!

I've recently volunteered to start learning UNIX for the company I work for.
However as of today, I still have not been granted access to any UNIX box and thus a working Shell. I've been informed that the Editor we will be using is Vi.

They have, however, given me access to TONS of brand new books and online courses to help me learn this new cool new langauge.

My question is this: can a person donwload a working shell script editor that will run on Windows XP Pro so that I may be able to practice using the commands and scripts I am learning until such time as I have been granted access to our company's UNIX boxes?

Thanks!

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Write a shell script to find whether the first day of the month is a working day

Hi , I am relatively new to unix... Can u pls help me out to find out if the first day of the month is a working day ie from (Monday to Friday)...using Date and If clause in Korn shell.. This is very urgent. Thanks for ur help... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: phani
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Where can I find the best Unix Shell?

I am new and I would like to know your opinion on the best Unix shell for linux? :confused: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: faron17
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX Find command in Borne Shell

I need to perform two separate commands as part of the -exec section of a find command. Is this possible? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: marshaferry
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to find in which shell i am working..

Hi Friends, I am new for this site.i have a small query.plz let me know the command to find in which shell presently i am working. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pineapple
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to find whenther given value is in betwwen min and Max in unix shell scripting

Hi I wanted to write a shell script with an if condition Example MinValue=10 MaxValue=30 logvalue = some integer value that script reads from the command line arguement I wanted to check whether log value greater than or equal to10 and less than equal to 30 and proceed with the rest of... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinky
5 Replies

6. AIX

Unix shell scripting to find latest file having timestamp embedded...

Hi guys, I have a directory in UNIX having files with the below format, i need to pickup the latest file having recent timestamp embedded on it, then need to rename it to a standard file name. Below is the file format: filename_yyyymmdd.csv, i need to pick the latest and move it with the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaushik25
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

SHELL: UNIX : Ls regular expression not working when used with variables

If i do below command in unix prompt which static values (ie 27..97), it is working fine and gives desired output >ls -d $WORKDIR/batch/somefilename_{27..97}.* 2>/dev/null somefilename_27.sometxt somefilename_28.sometxt somefilename_29.sometxt .. somefilename_97.sometxt But if i want... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: haiderali
2 Replies
Net::Server::Proto::UNIX(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation			       Net::Server::Proto::UNIX(3)

NAME
Net::Server::Proto::UNIX - Net::Server UNIX protocol. SYNOPSIS
See Net::Server::Proto. DESCRIPTION
Protocol module for Net::Server. This module implements the UNIX SOCK_STREAM socket type. See Net::Server::Proto. Any sockets created during startup will be chown'ed to the user and group specified in the starup arguments. PARAMETERS
The following paramaters may be specified in addition to normal command line parameters for a Net::Server. See Net::Server for more information on reading arguments. unix_type Can be either SOCK_STREAM or SOCK_DGRAM (default is SOCK_STREAM). This can also be passed on the port line (see Net::Server::Proto). However, this method is deprecated. If you want SOCK_STREAM - just use proto UNIX without any other arguments. If you'd like SOCK_DGRAM, use the new proto UNIXDGRAM. METHODS
NS_unix_path/NS_unix_type In addition to the standard NS_ methods of Net::Server::Proto classes, the UNIX types also have legacy calls to NS_unix_path and NS_unix_type. Since version 2.000, NS_unix_path is simply an alias to NS_port. NS_unix_type is now redundant with NS_proto. These methods were missing between version 2.000 and 2.003 but have been returned as legacy bridges. QUICK PARAMETER LIST
Key Value Default # deprecated UNIX socket parameters unix_type (SOCK_STREAM|SOCK_DGRAM) SOCK_STREAM port "filename" undef # more recent usage port "filename / UNIX" port "filename / UNIXDGRAM" LICENCE
Distributed under the same terms as Net::Server perl v5.18.2 2012-06-06 Net::Server::Proto::UNIX(3)