Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming getting the return code of forked child process (ftp) Post 302131126 by KittyJ on Thursday 9th of August 2007 09:10:12 AM
Old 08-09-2007
getting the return code of forked child process (ftp)

Hi,

From within my C++ program, I fork a child process and execl an ftp session (solaris), like this :

std::string szStartCmd = "ftp -i -n -v 192.168.149.31";

int nExecRes = execl("/bin/sh", "sh", "-c", szStartCmd.c_str(), (char *)0);

I use 2 pipes to communicate between my parent process and the ftp. But I'm not sure if it's possible to catch the output of the solaris ftp in a pipe, so that I can use it in my parent process. Until now I've only used uni-directional communication between parent and child process.
Getting commands from my parent to the ftp process works fine, but the ftp output is just printed on the screen. I would like to "catch" it in my parent process. Does anyone know if this is possible ?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

background process return code

Hi I have the following piece of code that is calling another child process archive.ksh in the background while read file; do file_name=`ls $file`; ksh archive.ksh $file_name &; done < $indirect_file The problem is, indirect_file may contain anwhere from 2 to 20 different... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vikas Sood
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

return code of a process

two programs A and B writting in c++ I am using A to B and I want to know the return code of B. in B ------------------------ int main() { return 11; } ------------------------ in A ------------------------ int main() { system(A); } ------------------------ Is it the right way... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: filedeliver
1 Replies

3. Programming

return code of a process

two programs A and B writting in c++ I am using A to B and I want to know the return code of B. in B ------------------------ int main() { return 11; } ------------------------ in A ------------------------ int main() { system(A); } ------------------------ Is it the right way... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: filedeliver
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Return code of background process

Hi, I have a process that I run in the background that looks like this ${BASEDIR}/ksh/sqler.ksh ${compnames003} & and I would like to get the return code of the sqler.ksh script. so my code is like this ${BASEDIR}/ksh/sqler.ksh ${compnames003} & retcode=$? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: c19h28O2
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FTP Return Code

Hi All, I have a problem to identify the error code thrown by FTP Server while uploading files. The message is : ftp return 32. I couldn't find out what is the meaning of that. :confused: OS is Sun Solaris 2.10. Anyone can help? Thanks a lot (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wilsonSurya
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

commands not working if the executed from forked process

Hi, I have an application where if it runs indivisually could able to execute commands (like system("ls")) and could able to execute tcl script. Same application if started from health monitor process (From health monitor process my application will be forked), it could not execute the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chandrutiptur
1 Replies

7. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

ftp return code not working

below is my code , but for some reason the return part is not working, only file transfer is happening and no exit status is checked .please me help me to fix this code #!/bin/sh #set -vx ftp -nv sitelocation << ! user username password lcd localdir cd /remote dir mget *.* ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gwrm
4 Replies

8. Programming

getting the return from forked child process to parent in C++

This needs to work on HPUX and Linux. I do a fork and create a child process. During execution of the child process, it is possible child become lost or get killed. That is the reason why I create the child process. However if the child process doesnt get killed, I do want to know the return... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: usustarr
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

forking a child process and kill its parent to show that child process has init() as its parent

Hi everyone i am very new to linux , working on bash shell. I am trying to solve the given problem 1. Create a process and then create children using fork 2. Check the Status of the application for successful running. 3. Kill all the process(threads) except parent and first child... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vizz_k
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Why is the return code of child required by parent ?

Hello everyone, I am a complete newbie to UNIX. I am using Debian LXDE 64-bit. I have a question regarding the child and parent process communication. According to wikipedia.org and various other sources, when a child process exits it sends the SIGCHLD signal to its parent... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sreyan32
1 Replies
FORK(2) 						      BSD System Calls Manual							   FORK(2)

NAME
fork -- create a new process LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> pid_t fork(void); DESCRIPTION
The fork() system call causes creation of a new process. The new process (child process) is an exact copy of the calling process (parent process) except for the following: o The child process has a unique process ID. o The child process has a different parent process ID (i.e., the process ID of the parent process). o The child process has its own copy of the parent's descriptors. These descriptors reference the same underlying objects, so that, for instance, file pointers in file objects are shared between the child and the parent, so that an lseek(2) on a descriptor in the child process can affect a subsequent read(2) or write(2) by the parent. This descriptor copying is also used by the shell to establish standard input and output for newly created processes as well as to set up pipes. o The child process' resource utilizations are set to 0; see setrlimit(2). o All interval timers are cleared; see setitimer(2). o The child process has only one thread, corresponding to the calling thread in the parent process. If the process has more than one thread, locks and other resources held by the other threads are not released and therefore only async-signal-safe functions (see sigaction(2)) are guaranteed to work in the child process until a call to execve(2) or a similar function. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, fork() returns a value of 0 to the child process and returns the process ID of the child process to the parent process. Otherwise, a value of -1 is returned to the parent process, no child process is created, and the global variable errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
The fork() system call will fail and no child process will be created if: [EAGAIN] The system-imposed limit on the total number of processes under execution would be exceeded. The limit is given by the sysctl(3) MIB variable KERN_MAXPROC. (The limit is actually ten less than this except for the super user). [EAGAIN] The user is not the super user, and the system-imposed limit on the total number of processes under execution by a single user would be exceeded. The limit is given by the sysctl(3) MIB variable KERN_MAXPROCPERUID. [EAGAIN] The user is not the super user, and the soft resource limit corresponding to the resource argument RLIMIT_NPROC would be exceeded (see getrlimit(2)). [ENOMEM] There is insufficient swap space for the new process. SEE ALSO
execve(2), rfork(2), setitimer(2), setrlimit(2), sigaction(2), vfork(2), wait(2) HISTORY
The fork() function appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX. BSD
May 31, 2013 BSD