Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Count the number of occurence of perticular word from file Post 302130970 by kahuna on Wednesday 8th of August 2007 01:32:35 PM
Old 08-08-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashxx
Obviously, you have to delimit your pattern to get expected result.
How would you delimit? I tried
Code:
$echo 'abc abc' |awk '
BEGIN {
RS=FS
}
{
if ( $0 ~ /^abc$/ )
   c++
}
END{
print c
}'

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

word count showing wrong number of lines

Hi , I am using SUN OS Version 5.6. I have a file that contains records of length 270. when I do 'set nu' in vi editor, I get the count as 86. whereas when I do "wc -l" on the command prompt, it shows the count as only 85. this is very strange. why would the 'wc' show 1 record less. The job... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tselvanin
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

search& count for the occurence of a word

Greetings, I need to search and count all the occurences of a word in all the files in a directory. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: skoppana
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count number of digits in a word

Hi all Can anybody suggest me, how to get the count of digits in a word I tried WORD=abcd1234 echo $WORD | grep -oE ] | wc -l 4 It works in bash command line, but not in scripts :mad: (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ./hari.sh
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding the number of occurence of a word in a line

suppose i have this line abs|der|gt|dftnrk|dtre i want to count the number of "|" in this line.. how can i do that. plz help:confused: (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: priyanka3006
9 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Count number of occurences of a word

I want to count the number of occurences of say "200" in a file but that file also contains various stuff including dtaes like 2007 or smtg like 200.1 so count i am getting by doing grep -c "word" file is wrong Please help!!!!! (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: shikhakaul
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count the number of occurrences of the word

I am a newbie in UNIX shell script and seeking help on this UNIX function. Please give me a hand. Thanks. I have a large file. Named as 'MyFile'. It was tab-delmited. I am told to write a shell function that counts the number of occurrences of the ord “mysring” in the file 'MyFile'. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: duke0001
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to count number of times each word exist in a file

I'm trying to count the number of times each word in the file exist for example if the file has: today I have a lot to write, but I will not go for it. The main thing is that today I am looking for a way to get each word in this file with a word count after it specifying that this word has... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shnkool
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count number of character occurence but not from quotation marks

I have the following string: 31-01-2012, 09:42:37;OK;94727132638;"Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2.1)";3G;WAP;I need a script which is counting the occurrence of semicolons ( ; ) but exclude the ones from the quotation marks. In the string given as example there are 8 semicolons but the script... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: calinlicj
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find the number of occurence of particular word from a text file?

example: i have the following text file... i am very tired. i am busy i am hungry i have to find the number of occurence of a particular word 'am' from the text file.. can any one give the shell script for it (34 Replies)
Discussion started by: sheela
34 Replies

10. Programming

Python Count Number Of Occurence

Hello, I have a programming assignment to count number of occurrences of hours in particular file. Below is the code: fname = raw_input("Enter file name: ") if len(fname) < 1 : fname = "mbox-short.txt" largest = None fh = open(fname) counts = dict() test = list() for line in fh: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: infinitydon
2 Replies
Gtk2::SourceView2::PrintCompositor(3pm) 		User Contributed Perl Documentation		   Gtk2::SourceView2::PrintCompositor(3pm)

NAME
Gtk2::SourceView2::PrintCompositor HIERARCHY
Glib::Object +----Gtk2::SourceView2::PrintCompositor METHODS
printcompositor = Gtk2::SourceView2::PrintCompositor->new ($buffer) o $buffer (Gtk2::SourceView2::Buffer) printcompositor = Gtk2::SourceView2::PrintCompositor->new_from_view ($view) o $view (Gtk2::SourceView2::View) string = $compositor->get_body_font_name $compositor->set_body_font_name ($font_name) o $font_name (string) double = $compositor->get_bottom_margin ($unit) o $unit (Gtk2::Unit) $compositor->set_bottom_margin ($margin, $unit) o $margin (double) o $unit (Gtk2::Unit) buffer = $compositor->get_buffer $compositor->draw_page ($context, $page_nr) o $context (Gtk2::PrintContext) o $page_nr (integer) string = $compositor->get_footer_font_name $compositor->set_footer_font_name ($font_name) o $font_name (string or undef) $compositor->set_footer_format ($separator, $left, $center, $right) o $separator (boolean) o $left (string or undef) o $center (string or undef) o $right (string or undef) string = $compositor->get_header_font_name $compositor->set_header_font_name ($font_name) o $font_name (string or undef) $compositor->set_header_format ($separator, $left, $center, $right) o $separator (boolean) o $left (string or undef) o $center (string or undef) o $right (string or undef) boolean = $compositor->get_highlight_syntax $compositor->set_highlight_syntax ($highlight) o $highlight (boolean) double = $compositor->get_left_margin ($unit) o $unit (Gtk2::Unit) $compositor->set_left_margin ($margin, $unit) o $margin (double) o $unit (Gtk2::Unit) string = $compositor->get_line_numbers_font_name $compositor->set_line_numbers_font_name ($font_name) o $font_name (string or undef) integer = $compositor->get_n_pages boolean = $compositor->paginate ($context) o $context (Gtk2::PrintContext) double = $compositor->get_pagination_progress boolean = $compositor->get_print_footer $compositor->set_print_footer ($print) o $print (boolean) boolean = $compositor->get_print_header $compositor->set_print_header ($print) o $print (boolean) integer = $compositor->get_print_line_numbers $compositor->set_print_line_numbers ($interval) o $interval (integer) double = $compositor->get_right_margin ($unit) o $unit (Gtk2::Unit) $compositor->set_right_margin ($margin, $unit) o $margin (double) o $unit (Gtk2::Unit) integer = $compositor->get_tab_width $compositor->set_tab_width ($width) o $width (integer) double = $compositor->get_top_margin ($unit) o $unit (Gtk2::Unit) $compositor->set_top_margin ($margin, $unit) o $margin (double) o $unit (Gtk2::Unit) wrapmode = $compositor->get_wrap_mode $compositor->set_wrap_mode ($wrap_mode) o $wrap_mode (Gtk2::WrapMode) PROPERTIES
'body-font-name' (string : default undef : readable / writable) Name of the font to use for the text body (e.g. "Monospace 10") 'buffer' (Gtk2::SourceView2::Buffer : default undef : readable / writable / construct-only) The GtkSourceBuffer object to print 'footer-font-name' (string : default undef : readable / writable) Name of the font to use for the page footer (e.g. "Monospace 10") 'header-font-name' (string : default undef : readable / writable) Name of the font to use for the page header (e.g. "Monospace 10") 'highlight-syntax' (boolean : default true : readable / writable) Whether to print the document with highlighted syntax 'line-numbers-font-name' (string : default undef : readable / writable) Name of the font to use for the line numbers (e.g. "Monospace 10") 'n-pages' (integer : default -1 : readable) The number of pages in the document (-1 means the document has not been completely paginated). 'print-footer' (boolean : default false : readable / writable) Whether to print a footer in each page 'print-header' (boolean : default false : readable / writable) Whether to print a header in each page 'print-line-numbers' (Glib::UInt : default 1 : readable / writable) Interval of printed line numbers (0 means no numbers) 'tab-width' (Glib::UInt : default 8 : readable / writable) Width of a tab character expressed in spaces 'wrap-mode' (Gtk2::WrapMode : default "none" : readable / writable) Whether to wrap lines never, at word boundaries, or at character boundaries. ENUMS AND FLAGS
enum Gtk2::Unit o 'pixel' / 'GTK_UNIT_PIXEL' o 'points' / 'GTK_UNIT_POINTS' o 'inch' / 'GTK_UNIT_INCH' o 'mm' / 'GTK_UNIT_MM' enum Gtk2::WrapMode o 'none' / 'GTK_WRAP_NONE' o 'char' / 'GTK_WRAP_CHAR' o 'word' / 'GTK_WRAP_WORD' o 'word-char' / 'GTK_WRAP_WORD_CHAR' SEE ALSO
Gtk2::SourceView2, Glib::Object COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2009 by Emmanuel Rodriguez perl v5.14.2 2011-11-16 Gtk2::SourceView2::PrintCompositor(3pm)