Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Count the number of occurence of perticular word from file Post 302130955 by matrixmadhan on Wednesday 8th of August 2007 11:58:08 AM
Old 08-08-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashxx
Code:
awk '
BEGIN {
RS=FS
}
{
if ( $0 ~ /abc/ )
   c++
}
END{
print c++
}' lsample.txt

there is one more problem with that

with the input posted by Shell and for search pattern as "aa" it would match "aaa" also

try this,
Code:
awk ' BEGIN {RS=FS} { if ( $0 ~ /^aa$/ ) { c++; i=NR; } } END{if ( i == NR ) { c++ } print c}' filename

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

word count showing wrong number of lines

Hi , I am using SUN OS Version 5.6. I have a file that contains records of length 270. when I do 'set nu' in vi editor, I get the count as 86. whereas when I do "wc -l" on the command prompt, it shows the count as only 85. this is very strange. why would the 'wc' show 1 record less. The job... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tselvanin
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

search& count for the occurence of a word

Greetings, I need to search and count all the occurences of a word in all the files in a directory. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: skoppana
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count number of digits in a word

Hi all Can anybody suggest me, how to get the count of digits in a word I tried WORD=abcd1234 echo $WORD | grep -oE ] | wc -l 4 It works in bash command line, but not in scripts :mad: (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ./hari.sh
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding the number of occurence of a word in a line

suppose i have this line abs|der|gt|dftnrk|dtre i want to count the number of "|" in this line.. how can i do that. plz help:confused: (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: priyanka3006
9 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Count number of occurences of a word

I want to count the number of occurences of say "200" in a file but that file also contains various stuff including dtaes like 2007 or smtg like 200.1 so count i am getting by doing grep -c "word" file is wrong Please help!!!!! (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: shikhakaul
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count the number of occurrences of the word

I am a newbie in UNIX shell script and seeking help on this UNIX function. Please give me a hand. Thanks. I have a large file. Named as 'MyFile'. It was tab-delmited. I am told to write a shell function that counts the number of occurrences of the ord “mysring” in the file 'MyFile'. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: duke0001
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to count number of times each word exist in a file

I'm trying to count the number of times each word in the file exist for example if the file has: today I have a lot to write, but I will not go for it. The main thing is that today I am looking for a way to get each word in this file with a word count after it specifying that this word has... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shnkool
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count number of character occurence but not from quotation marks

I have the following string: 31-01-2012, 09:42:37;OK;94727132638;"Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2.1)";3G;WAP;I need a script which is counting the occurrence of semicolons ( ; ) but exclude the ones from the quotation marks. In the string given as example there are 8 semicolons but the script... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: calinlicj
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find the number of occurence of particular word from a text file?

example: i have the following text file... i am very tired. i am busy i am hungry i have to find the number of occurence of a particular word 'am' from the text file.. can any one give the shell script for it (34 Replies)
Discussion started by: sheela
34 Replies

10. Programming

Python Count Number Of Occurence

Hello, I have a programming assignment to count number of occurrences of hours in particular file. Below is the code: fname = raw_input("Enter file name: ") if len(fname) < 1 : fname = "mbox-short.txt" largest = None fh = open(fname) counts = dict() test = list() for line in fh: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: infinitydon
2 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangFam - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangFam; $lext = code2langfam('apa'); # $lext gets 'Apache languages' $code = langfam2code('Apache languages'); # $code gets 'apa' @codes = all_langfam_codes(); @names = all_langfam_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangFam" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language families, such as those as defined in ISO 639-5. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 639-5 language family codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language families. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langfam('apa','alpha'); $lext = code2langfam('apa',LOCALE_LANGFAM_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from ISO 639-5 such as 'apa' for Apache languages. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langfam2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langfam_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langfam_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langfam_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-5/id.php ISO 639-5 . AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)